The least consequential world championship road race ever - 2011

Old September 26th 11, 12:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Default The least consequential world championship road race ever - 2011

In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
limit sign.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...rld-road-races
Old September 26th 11, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
a complete and utter tosser.

Old September 26th 11, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 26/09/2011 12:49, atriage wrote:
On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:
In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
a complete and utter tosser.

BTW option 2 is the one I go for, if others disagree they are free to post about
it of course.

Old September 26th 11, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Sep 26, 6:25*am, Anton Berlin wrote:
In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
limit sign.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...rld-road-races

Careful, Anton, you're admiring Lance there. And IMS, you "don't like
Lance", either.

What was that expression you used IRT Cavendish's sprints-- handed
something on a platter, or something?

Not the case yesterday. A team ride that will be remembered in support
of Cavendish, and then he showed his sprinting abilities-- which
include being able to launch off the front of a very fast train, or
get close and make it happen by himself, from out of a scrum.

You don't have to admire the person, just the deeds.
--D-y
Old September 26th 11, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

On Sep 26, 12:25*pm, Anton Berlin wrote:
In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

No one will remember this group training ride and sprint for the city
limit sign.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...rld-road-races

The thing is, the riders have to deal with the course that's put
before them, and if you expected to see anything other than a bunch
sprint then you obviously don't know as much about bike racing as you
seem. The race was as lively as any I can remember, though as
predictable as most Worlds races tend to be, albeit with fewer likely
winners touted before the race.

Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
win and I include Tour de Farce in that. The sad irony is that most
people will never know he was a proper bike rider once...

UD
Old September 26th 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

On Sep 26, 12:49*pm, atriage wrote:
On 26/09/2011 12:25, Anton Berlin wrote:

In 1980 Anquetil predicted only only 15 riders would finish.

Yesterday, the entire peloton sauntered into the finish line more
gentler than an old man eases into a hot bath.

The average speed of 2011 WC RR was 45kph, a new record for the race. If you
think that's a saunter you must be some kind of super-cyclist...or alternatively
a complete and utter tosser.

Opinion is split on which. On the one hand there's Anton's opinion,
on the other everybody else's.

boom boom i thenk yew i thenk yew

UD
Old September 26th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Uncle Dave

On Sep 26, 4:45*pm, --D-y wrote:
[...]

Despite his being a Brit, I'd always seen him as something of a Cipo -
all gas and nothing much else - but the way he got himself into
position after losing his train was very impressive. I might even
become a fan.

UD
Old September 26th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 26/09/2011 17:58, Uncle Dave wrote:
On Sep 26, 12:25 pm, Anton wrote:
[...]

Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display of
unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure. All the stuff
that came later...well it seems 'head in the sand syndrome' is pretty common in
sports administration whatever the sport...probably something to do with old men
being in charge of it all, although how they could have failed to see that the
incentive to dope in cycling is overwhelming (if you think you'll get away with
it) is beyond me.

Old September 26th 11, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 9/26/2011 12:50 PM, atriage wrote:
On 26/09/2011 17:58, Uncle Dave wrote:
Stephen Roche in 1987 was pretty special, and I was at the 1982 race
but the best I've seen was Armstrong. I still see that as his best
win and I include Tour de Farce in that.

Someone (can't remember who) described Lance's WC RR win as 'a display
of unbelievable power'. Not bad for a 22 year old that's for sure.

LANCE got his gap on the downhill that so many others had wiped out on.
He was not alone at the top, but he was at the bottom.

And if you look at who was chasing him for the rest of the race...

(Oslo, 257.6 km)
1. Lance Armstrong (usa) 6h17:10
2. Miguel Indurain (spa) + 0:19
3. Olaf Ludwig (ger) s.t.
4. Johan Museeuw (bel) s.t.
5. Maurizio Fondriest (ita) s.t.
6. Andrey Tchmil (ukr) s.t.
7. Dag Otto Lauritzen (nor) s.t.
8. Gérard Rué (fra) s.t.
9. Bjarne Riis (den) s.t.
10. Frans Maassen (net) s.t.

A lot of horsepower there. People forget how badly Indurain wanted to
win that race. It was Armstrong's ride that kept him out of the record
books for winning the Tour/Giro/WC triple crown.

Old September 26th 11, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Randall

I was very disappointed by the race. The US had a very weak team. The
Italians only entered 2 or 3 riders. part of the problem``is that the
worlds course is always criterium. This takes away from the race.