Recommendations for first Mountain bike ???

Old November 15th 03, 09:14 PM
Tom

Default Recommendations for first Mountain bike ???

I'm looking to get a mountain bike.

I'm going to use it as a workout tool, and plan on riding fairly rough
terrain, but not racing it.

What should I look for, and what should I avoid?

Full suspension?
Steel or aluminum frame?
Type of brakes?
Are low $ bikes worth it?

knowing what you know now, what would you do differently when you
bought your first bike?

Old November 15th 03, 09:58 PM
Mojo Deluxe

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm looking to get a mountain bike.

Congrats.

I'm going to use it as a workout tool, and plan on riding fairly rough
terrain, but not racing it.

Use it as a 'fun tool' instead. The workout is just a byproduct.

What should I look for, and what should I avoid?

Full suspension?
Steel or aluminum frame?
Type of brakes?
Are low $ bikes worth it?

Look for something that fits. You will get many opinions, and feedback as
far as bikes are concerned. I'll just give you my preference in a bike
first. Hardtail, steel, and disc.

Now for an opinion. As with anything you buy, you get what you pay for.
Bikes are no different.

knowing what you know now, what would you do differently when you
bought your first bike?

Get_sized_correctly.

My suggestion would be to shop around, do research, and ask questions. Find
out who the reputable bikes shops are in your area, and don't impulse buy.
Take your time. Getting a good bike is an investment that you can reap many
benefits from, for lots of fun. Good luck.

Old November 15th 03, 10:22 PM
Dave Adnum

loook for a jamis aluminum hardtail .. sumwhere around 500 US and see if
they can swap ur fork on it to upgrade to a marzocchi... then ud have a
sweet starting bike that u can keep upgrading

dave

Old November 15th 03, 10:33 PM
Eurig Jones

What should I look for, and what should I avoid?

cheap full suspension bikes!

Full suspension?
Steel or aluminum frame?
Type of brakes?
Are low $ bikes worth it?

knowing what you know now, what would you do differently when you
bought your first bike?

It depends what you'll use it for, If you really do start enjoying it and
ride a lot of offroad then maybe you should get a good strong hardtail
(front suspension only) which you can get reasonably cheap. Maybe about $400
for a decent bike.

The problem is with mountain biking is that you only learn what you want in
a bike yourself after riding it a lot. Cheap bikes break very very easily
when you use them offroad a lot, so just buy a good bike you can afford,
enjoy it and you'll soon realise what its all about. :-)

Tip: Dont get into mountain biking if you want to "work out", do it for the
fun of it. Once you start competing against yourself you're defeating the
whole purpose of the game. Enjoy it first and then you'll get fit without
even trying :-)

Old November 15th 03, 10:45 PM
Penny S

Tom's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:

http://bbauer.gomen.org/newbike/

Old November 15th 03, 10:54 PM
Stephen Baker

Dave Adnum says:

loook for a jamis aluminum hardtail .. sumwhere around 500 US and see if
they can swap ur fork on it to upgrade to a marzocchi... then ud have a
sweet starting bike that u can keep upgrading

Why don't they teach kids to spell these days?

Steve "Curmudgeon of the Day"
Old November 15th 03, 11:14 PM
Pete

"Tom" wrote in message
I'm looking to get a mountain bike.

I'm going to use it as a workout tool, and plan on riding fairly rough
terrain, but not racing it.

What should I look for,

A good bike shop and a bike that fits.

and what should I avoid?

A dept store.

Full suspension?
Steel or aluminum frame?
Type of brakes?
Are low $ bikes worth it?

Define "low $". What is your budget for this?

Pete

Old November 16th 03, 12:26 AM
Fred Hinkson

Try it till you like it.

MTB Ride hard die free.

Old November 16th 03, 02:59 AM
MTBScottie

Subject: Recommendations for first Mountain bike ???
From: "Penny S"
Date: 11/15/2003 4:45 PM Eastern Standard Time
Tom's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this: ----that is really

reallly getting old.

Which type of bike? Your opinions please. Chris Hansen General 3 January 16th 04 01:10 PM
Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 03:00 AM
More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 11 October 26th 03 06:14 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Mountain Bike Magazines Neil Haley Mountain Biking 14 August 23rd 03 04:31 AM