Trek 850 dating question

Old April 20th 04, 12:25 AM
Skokatt

Default Trek 850 dating question

I recently got my hands on an older Trek 850 Mountain Track XC. I had
planned on turning this into my first single speed. After cleaning her
up, a few derailleur adjustments, and replacing the dry-rotted tires,
tubes and saddle, I think I have found quite a gem here. The drivetrain
shifts flawlessly and there are no creaks, dents, cracks, or rust (except
for a few bolts here and there).

http://www.skokatt.com/images/bike/trek850.jpg
http://www.skokatt.com/images/bike/trek850_front.jpg

Now for the question. From the color scheme and components listed, does
anyone have any idea what year this bike was made? It seems to be
completely stock. Here are a few specs.

blue and silver paint scheme
19.5 inch cro-moly frame
integrated seat post collar
1" threaded fork
Acera X cantilever brakes
Alivio cranks and rings
STX rear der.
Alivio front der.
Gripshift shifters
Matrix Lobo rims
Acera X rear hub (not sure about the front)
System Components bar and bar ends

Thanks,

- Chris -
www.skokatt.com
_____________________________

Everyone starts out with an empty bag of experience
and a full bag of luck. The trick is to fill one
before you empty the other.
Old April 20th 04, 01:04 AM
S o r n i

Dinner and a movie?

Bill "been on worse ones" S.

Old April 20th 04, 01:45 AM
Slacker

Riding a Trek... pffft... this is the only chick you'll be dating
http://www.kiwipuppet.co.nz/images/LRGPuppetMorepork.jpg

--
Slacker
Old April 20th 04, 05:20 AM
Benjamin Weiner

Skokatt wrote:

Now for the question. From the color scheme and components listed, does
anyone have any idea what year this bike was made? It seems to be
completely stock. Here are a few specs.

Most Shimano components have a part number on them,
and a two-letter date code like "PF" stamped or stickered in
very small letters in an unobtrusive place (like the back side
of a crank or derailleur). You can figure out dates from
the codes, see http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

For example, in PF, P=1991, F=June. The part numbers can also
be dated through http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/

Old April 20th 04, 02:55 PM
Andrew Thorne

Now for the question. From the color scheme and components listed, does
anyone have any idea what year this bike was made?

Around 92-4 or so. Any later and you'd have a threadless headset. Any earlier
and you'd have the wider profile cantis and 74/110 cranks.

Not a bad bike. Would make a great commuter with fenders and slicks.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old April 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Super Slinky

S o r n i said...

Bill "been on worse ones" S.

You dated a Santa Crud?
Old April 20th 04, 08:19 PM
S o r n i

Super Slinky wrote:
S o r n i said...

Bill "been on worse ones" S.

You dated a Santa Crud?

My server's dropping more posts than a fence-building machine.

Bill "neatly evading the question" S.

Old April 20th 04, 09:48 PM
supabonbon

Skokatt wrote in message ...
[...]

That's a wee looking 19.5"....
Anyway, yeah, I'd say somewhere between '92 and '95.

/scott
Old April 20th 04, 10:03 PM
Skokatt

Benjamin Weiner wrote in

Most Shimano components have a part number on them,
and a two-letter date code like "PF" stamped or stickered in
very small letters in an unobtrusive place (like the back side
of a crank or derailleur). You can figure out dates from
the codes, see http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

For example, in PF, P=1991, F=June. The part numbers can also
be dated through http://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Hersteller/

Thanks for the info! I found Shimano dates codes of UA,UB, and UC on
most of the components. So I guess it's a '96.
--
- Chris Stovall -
www.skokatt.com

Everyone starts out with a full bag of luck
and an empty bag of experience.
The trick is to fill one before you empty the other.
Old April 20th 04, 11:39 PM

That looks like a Altus crank to me. Got one on my
Schwinn Probe. And a Alivio on my Proflex 856.

I MTB 2004