Chaos, death and disaster - several bombs have just exploded in London ;-(

Old July 7th 05, 07:26 PM
Dan Goodman

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Shaun aRe wrote:

Any word on who's responsible yet? The news here in the states is
spotty and I can't get to the BBC UK site.

A tip for next time: go to http://news.google.com; go to the bottom,
click on the UK edition.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
Old July 7th 05, 07:42 PM
NeXuS

"Sarah" wrote in message
k...

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
news.net...

Article he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659093.stm

Since the article, MANY more than the 2 first mentioned confirmed dead.
This
is bad, real, real bad...

They've confirmed 33 dead, not including the bus. It seems unreal.
It's awful for those in London, at times like this I'm glad I live in a
small town, but you never know where they'll strike. It's not like there
is any sense to their thinking!
Sarah

Hmmmm, try living in NI around July 12th!

Old July 7th 05, 09:43 PM
Jimbo(san)

Shaun aRe
Cheers John. I'm fine, it's those close by, and those who have lost
someone... it cannot be easy...

Shaun

My heart goes out to all who were victimized. The dead, wounded and
their families.

--
Jimbo(san)

Old July 7th 05, 10:00 PM
limey

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
Article he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4659093.stm

Since the article, MANY more than the 2 first mentioned confirmed dead.
This
is bad, real, real bad...

I hope any of you in London, or who have friends or relatives in London -
well I just hope to hells you are ALL alright/. Be safe.

Shaun aRe

I watched in horror early this morning but didn't post because I was on my
way to a medical appointment and beyond. What a senseless loss of life and
limb and what cowards they are. I also post on a UK newsgroup and was
amazed by several responses: "We don't live in London so why should we
care?". Are people really that blasé at home anymore?

Dora

Old July 7th 05, 10:21 PM
bomba

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:00:39 +0100, dardruba wrote:

It's not like there is any sense to their thinking!

Unfortunately there is.
This attack was well thought out, apparently by people who
live here. We'll probly get to hear more of this as the investigations
continue, right day, right time, right place etc.

I disagree. Four bombs, in the middle of London, at the height of rush
hour. If they'd been well organised, and / or aiming for maximum civilian
casualties the death toll would / should have been far greater.

By chance our daughter and her husband who both work in the City
were out of town today at opposite ends of the country.
Also safe are her husbands relatives. Dad left v. early and was in
Chambers, Mum stayed off work at home today waiting for a plumber,
two kidsare at school in the City and are staying there overnight
with friends, the other child is at school in Islington well away
from the target area. What a relief.

Glad to hear everyone's ok.

Just to introduce a light note, some morons posted early today
saying they thought the bombs had Made in France on the side because
Paris lost out to London in the 2012 Olympics.
They quickly came back to eat humble pie when the true horror
became known.

In fairness, a lot of people of people made the same jokes. They're not
morons, they just didn't know what was going on. The early press reports
were of a power surge and a minor incident. If they'd known the true
extent of the horror I'm sure no-one would have made those comments.

Old July 7th 05, 10:29 PM
bomba

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:18:09 -0700, Chris Glidden wrote:

Latest word from round here is that people are queueing over London
Bridge to get in to the station. It could be a long night...

Be safe getting home brother.

Turned out ok. Everyone tried to get out of London at 5 (hmm,
post-terrorist attack, let's see if we can form the largest crowd
possible(?)), so by the time I got out the pub everywhere was pretty much
deserted.

Old July 7th 05, 11:30 PM
Bill Sornson

Michel Boucher wrote:
"Shaun aRe" wrote in
news.net:

Al Quaeda (spelling?) have claimed
responsibility but not sure how truthful this is. Tony Blairs on
his way back from Gleneagles.

Yup - they posted a message making the claim, on a Muslin web-site
- still unconfirmed last I heard.

Interesting how this happens just as Bush wants to talk security and
the others want to push Kyoto...wonder what the motivation was to hit
Britain at this time, if it was a willful act and not a gas explosion.

GAS EXPLOSION?!? /FOUR/ of 'em?!? (Including one on a friggin' BUS?!?)

At any rate, I'm leaning towards thinking it had nothing to do with
the G-8.

I am wary of claims at this point and hope the British security people
are also careful before jumping the gun (as it were).

Chances are there's some video. We'll know who's responsible soon.

Old July 7th 05, 11:38 PM
Stan Horwitz

In article ,
"0ld Yank" same@ Isee.net wrote:

"bomba" wrote in message
ups.com...
spademan o---[) * wrote:
Bomba is holed up in his office ATM.
The whole thing really sucks, must be bloody scary for anyone in London.

Aye, London's not a happy place at the moment. Pretty much the only
sounds are sirens and helicopters.

As far as I can tell, all my family and friends are ok. I've had a fair
few concerned phone calls and e-mails, as I normally work out of an
office round the corner from Moorgate (scene of one of the blasts).
However, I'm working out of our other office today.

Anyway, **** 'em. We've been through worse, we'll come through this.

Well said. Terrorism gains its superiority when it victims fold into a
whimpering, fetal position and capitulate as did the Spaniards when a
similar act occurred on their soil.

As to who's responsible (as asked mitchellNOSPAM) how can that even be in
doubt.

My deepest condolences go out to the victims' families; and my strong
support goes out to the British people that they be strengthened by this
rather than weakened.

What I really hope is that any strengthening includes an improvement of
our leaders' wisdom, not just their desire to take military action. True
strength comes from wisdom, not acts of violence.
Old July 8th 05, 12:00 AM
JohnH

What I really hope is that any strengthening includes an improvement
of our leaders' wisdom, not just their desire to take military
action. True strength comes from wisdom, not acts of violence.

"The war on terrorism goes on” - GWB.

Old July 8th 05, 12:09 AM
0ld Yank

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Michel Boucher wrote:
[...]

Yes. We certainly don't want to blame those poor, disenfranchised Al Queda
Islamic terrorists unnecessarily, do we?

--Yankee Viejo