Pedals won't stay tight...

Old January 3rd 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gtdrummer

Default Pedals won't stay tight...

So I got my Nimbus X Street ISIS a few days ago, but the pedals keep
coming slightly loose and make a clicking sound. Everything is on its
proper side from what the stickers say, but after thinking about it, it
seems that maybe something got mis-labeled. What I mean is... when the
wheel rotates forward (clockwise from the right side), the right pedal
will spin counterclockwise (relative to the crank), which is the way to
loosen it. Could someone please straighten this out for me? I don't get
the physics behind it at all.

Side note- It came with aluminum cranks, and the pedals are scraping
the outside layer off and slowly digging further into the cranks as I
keep having to tighten them. Maybe it's just soft aluminum and I need
new cranks already, but I've only been riding back and forth in my yard
and down the street, no jumping or anything to really stress it. Does
anybody else's pedals do this to their cranks?

--
gtdrummer
Old January 3rd 09, 08:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

First things first: Make sure you're riding with the right pedal on the
right-hand side. If the stickers are wrong, most cranks have an L or R
stamped into them, usually on the inside (facing the wheel). Also you
can test by which way the pedal tightens. R is normal threading, L is
reverse (anti-clockwise to tighten).

Make sure you're getting them on tight. Do you have a decent wrench?
The problem may be that you rode too much with the pedals loose and the
threads are damaged. Further tightening and riding will tell.

Pedals don't unscrew from straight rotation. What makes wrong-side
pedals come loose is *precession*, the spiral motion of the force that
gets applied as the pedaling pressure goes around and around. 100 years
of bicycle technology does not have the pedals on the wrong side; don't
worry!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old January 3rd 09, 09:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SamGoodburn

I got a unicycle of ebay. And when I was riding it started to notice
this clicking noise the thing i knew i was flying fowards. My crank had
come of whilst I was riding it. After looking at it everything was
loose.

And I had destroyed the crank by riding it when it was clicking. So i
had to replace them

--
SamGoodburn

very creative sig.
Old January 3rd 09, 10:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
knighty

get new pedals,i would becuase th pedal medal and crank metal doesnt go
to well toghther it will strip like all my unicycle have,buy a new pair
of pedals it shold do the trick.

--
knighty

1-wheeled-grape

unicycles make good weapons, pedoes hate pedals... remember that.