Front cracking noise

Old February 15th 19, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Front cracking noise

On 2/12/19 11:43 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello all,

For a few days, I have noticed a new cracking noise that seems to
come from the front of my bicycle. It only starts when I am riding at
more than 25 km/h, and it is the same no matter how bumpy or smooth
the ground is.

I have already experienced cracking sounds from the handlebar in the
past, but it does not come from it in this case, as it continues even
if I release the handlebar and ride without the hands.

The fact that it is related to speed makes me wonder if it could not
come from the front hub ball bearings, what do you think? This is a
Shimano hub dynamo, do you know if its balls can be replaced?

Noises on bikes are notoriously difficult to track down as they are
often not where the noise appears to come from[1]. My first port of
call is to loosen and re-tighten *every* nut/bolt on the bike. Be
systematic, it doesn't take very long. As a plus point you'll find the
missing/stuck ones :-)

After that, start disassembling and checking from the perceived area of
the noise, in this case handlebars, headset, from bearings, maybe BB.

Good luck, I have come close to Postal territory trying to find an
annoying creak.

[1] Having someone cycle next to you and have a list sometimes
illuminates the situation.
Old February 15th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 10:17:51 PM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
[...]

In general, loose nuts and bolts do not cause irregulate and non-cyclic noises. Though you are quite correct that most noises on a bike are from nothing more than poor maintenance.