Project results of handlebar shims, interfacing aerobar lift kit with another companies aerobar, et al

Old February 11th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ddog

Default Project results of handlebar shims, interfacing aerobar lift kit with another companies aerobar, et al

Can't believe what I've been through and money wasted on nuts,
washers, shims, parts, and shipping to get this (and multiple
simultaneous projects done as well). Whew, but this part is done now.

http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files...robarLift1.jpg

http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files...robarLift2.jpg

For my 22.3mm handlebars only, cut 7/8"IS/1"OS dia pipe HACKSAWED IN
HALF (do not use shears or will scrap shims, - glad got 2 sets for
$2.96/pair/set, lol). JD Weld 'quick dry' (4 hrs) is crap, just use
blue Walmart silicone to hold shims temporarily on brackets/bars,
since JD Weld 'quick dry' fastens like Play Doh: not at all. Allow a
couple of extra of extra mm per elongated bolts - figured 48mm and
standard 50mm worked great. Just elongated out holes about 1mm or so
(eyeball and pencil traces from Profile bracket) on Syntace 1" spacer
and did great. Syntace bracket never touches metal to metal with
Profile brackets, but it does directly fit on top handlebar edge.
Profile plastic spacers are on bottom handle bar edge and between
Syntace bracket on top, or on both Profile 31.8mm edges as designed to
fit 26mm bars.

Didn't ride it too much except in front of house since getting dark,
but that one inch is the difference between extreme cruch and
comfortable 'pull' with tilt down and forearms supports changed to
below wrist supports (more flexible body postitions to adapt to - not
uncomforable at all trying to make elbows fit unnatural position).
ALSO, it allows more natural cable flexing between Century bars even
though its raised up an inch. Definitely a NICE Century bar upgrade
LIFTING whole assembly up one inch. Before I put my shims on bars, it
'pulled' great with pads forward of handlebar axis and slightly
lowered, but moved on bars due to more weight force on aerobars and
too much tolerance without the correct shims. I will try it out in a
good ride Sunday morning. Whew, no threadless stem conversion or bars
needed yet. That may be later. I will savor on this victory right
now.

With: pads moved in front of bars for control, bars lifted for
ergonomic fit, and palms down monkey grip on pads for elevated
breathing position, the Century bar is the PERFECT bar for all down
bars riders. On top of that, hanging a light and horn just make it a
ridiculously obvious accessory. Well, I've done the preliminary
engineering on different products interfaces, and will continue, but
its not my job to make product changes or advertise these changes:
I've got mine and that's all that matters!

Swift Shifter installed next week, and if gears and parts are here
maybe get rear end done, but most likely that will be in 2 weeks. Hee
hee, I've got it going now.

Thanks!

Old February 11th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ddog

Post Sunday ride results.

It felt great since aerobars felt good even going up hill. I'll have
to level up the aerobar some so don't restrict vascular flow to thumbs
or any region past pressure points. Other than that, it was just what
the doctor ordered.

I may play with washers and bolt size to stabilize two plastic shim
interface, but probably not too much since plastic shim interface will
just crush as it did before. 6061 AL pipe shims, like on handle bars
will likely replace the plastic Profile shims (with appropriate bolt
washers/spacers). This time however, I will try the original slow
curing JD Weld to affix them to Profile brackets, and get JD Weld at a
fast moving retailer like WM instead of Amazon where its shelf life
and storage environment was questionable.

6061 AL shims would allow both product stacks to work as intended
without the plastic shim variability, which of course would cost more
for a manufacturer to provide for a stabile and safe product (up to $3/
shim set for customer). But first, the 'fit' had to be verified, and
except for the balanced level of the aero bars, it worked out superb
and further development is justified for this strategy.

Thanks,
Phil Bailey

Old February 11th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

ddog wrote:
[...]

Please just ride the bike and leave out every little detail.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

FS: handlebar, aerobar, cranks, shifter, seatposts John Neil Marketplace 0 June 14th 06 03:33 PM
Profile T2+ Aerobar - how long? Kinky Cowboy Techniques 0 June 4th 06 02:56 AM
WTB 'S-Bend' aerobar extensions aotearoa706 Marketplace 0 August 24th 05 07:16 AM
FS: Hed Aerobar Spees Marketplace 1 June 10th 04 06:47 PM
Aerobar Question sub55 Techniques 2 March 23rd 04 05:51 PM