Wipperman chains

Old November 16th 07, 02:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Wipperman chains

Goto
http://www.connexchain.com/
(sorry, flush website, no URLS available)

goto products-connectors-8 speed-"01", and the text implies that
all conneX chains are supplied with the conneX link, which is
reusable.

However, I bought a 8 speed conneX chain, and all it came with is the
master link detailed in products-connectors-8 speed-"02" -- the
snapon master link.

Goto the "see how it's done" link for this master link, and they tell
you that link is not reusable, just like the documentation I got in
with my conneX chain.

What gives? What's the point of a wipperman chain where you have to
keep buying links for it, given that it was so damn hard to fit in the
first place, following the well though out, reasoned documentation
they provided (in Engrish)? No tools, eh?

Is this expected -- they include only the dodgy link and you have to
go out and buy a good link? Should I have just gone out and bought a
link in the first place and wacked it on an el-cheapo shimano chain?

--
TimC
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike.
Old November 16th 07, 07:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

TimC wrote:

[...]

I think there's old stock being sold in Australia. I've
previously used a conneX 8-speed chain which came with a proper
conneX master link. I bought that chain from overseas by mail
order.

But the unused conneX 808 chain I'm looking at now has the older
style snap link. I bought it from my LBS for $39.95, so it's
about twice the price and probably old stock.

John
Old November 16th 07, 07:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

I wrote:

But the unused conneX 808 chain I'm looking at now has the
older style snap link. I bought it from my LBS for $39.95, so
it's about twice the price and probably old stock.

Checking again, it's actually a conneX 800 I'm looking at from
the LBS marked $39.95. That makes it seriously overpriced.

John
Old November 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

TimC wrote:

[...]

I spoke too soon. When you look at details of the individual
8-speed chains available you see that different chains come
with different connectors.

The 804 chain comes with a snap-on connector, while 808 and 8sX
chains come with a master link. The Wippermann site doesn't
specify which connector the 800 chain comes with, but it's
their cheapest 8-speed chain and Fahrradversand confirms a
snap-on connector at http://tinyurl.com/39btne

John
Old November 16th 07, 10:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-11-16, John Henderson (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:

[...]

Bah.

Oh well, connexchain.com seems to imply that the connex link fit on
the 800, and I was just about to put an order in on
chainreactioncycles.com.

I think I overpaid too, but it was mailorder from my nearest LBS who
didn't include an invoice, and I got a few things in that package.

I wonder what the postoffice think of me? I apparently have another
package waiting today. I think the national stasi office must have a
purple light with my name on it blinking very rapidly.
"It's unusual for him to be receiving deliveries like that, especially
at this time of night":
http://www.relax.com.au/~sigma/Stasi...ertisement.jpg

--
TimC
vi is [[13~^[[15~^[[15~^[[19~^[[18~^ a
Old November 16th 07, 11:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

TimC wrote:

Oh well, connexchain.com seems to imply that the connex link
fit on the 800, and I was just about to put an order in on
chainreactioncycles.com.

I use the Sram silver "Power Links" for 8-speed chains. They
come in 3 colours: black (widest), silver, and Gold (narrow,
9-speed).

I think I overpaid too, but it was mailorder from my nearest
LBS who didn't include an invoice, and I got a few things in
that package.

I wonder what the postoffice think of me? I apparently have
another package waiting today. I think the national stasi
office must have a purple light with my name on it blinking
very rapidly.
"It's unusual for him to be receiving deliveries like that,
especially at this time of night":
http://www.relax.com.au/~sigma/Stasi...ertisement.jpg

I'm probably higher up on the fridge magnet list than you

I service all the family cars and bikes, and buy most routine
components by mail order.

John
Old November 17th 07, 12:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Damien

On Nov 17, 12:55 am, TimC -
astro.swin.edu.au wrote:
[...]

Maybe not worth it anyway. I bought one of the reusable ($10) 8 speed
connex links, and it came apart climbing a hill after about 500 kms.
Gave all the cars behind me a laugh, I ended up at work late and
bloody. I'm now using $2 KMC links on my 8 speed, and sram on my 9
speeds. Complained to my LBS, and all they could say was I probably
fitted it upside down. Considering there were no instructions
provided with the link it is entirely possible, but safety-related
parts like this should be foolproof!!

Cheers,

Damien

Old November 17th 07, 01:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-11-16, John Henderson (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:

Oh well, connexchain.com seems to imply that the connex link
fit on the 800, and I was just about to put an order in on
chainreactioncycles.com.

I use the Sram silver "Power Links" for 8-speed chains. They
come in 3 colours: black (widest), silver, and Gold (narrow,
9-speed).

And they work smoothly and quietly on the wipperman chains?

I wonder what the postoffice think of me? I apparently have
another package waiting today.

Hey, and most of it worked! Network over usb2 over pcmcia heh. Pity
that old laptop refuses to boot most times now.

Also got a pair of diadora shoes this week that mostly fit, although
might be a little uncomfortable around the top. Always was going to
be a risky business getting shoes from O/S.

I think the national stasi
office must have a purple light with my name on it blinking
very rapidly.
"It's unusual for him to be receiving deliveries like that,
especially at this time of night":
http://www.relax.com.au/~sigma/Stasi...ertisement.jpg

I'm probably higher up on the fridge magnet list than you

I service all the family cars and bikes, and buy most routine
components by mail order.

I got no choice -- nothing in this town!

The town hate the observatoryfolk, using sophisticated arguments
(almost but not quite entirely along the lines of "thar tahk ma
jawbs!") once heard to be along the lines of we "are paid too much".
I went to argue that this means we bring federal money into the local
economy, but then I remembered I order all my stuff from Britain

Oh well, got to pay our debts back to the mother country somehow.

--
TimC
Some witty text here,
Old November 17th 07, 01:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

TimC wrote:

And they work smoothly and quietly on the wipperman chains?

It's been a while since I had that combo running, but I don't
remember any problems at all with Sram Power Links (other than
getting the right technique to get then apart for cleaning). I
use all 3 colours with different chains on different bikes.
The black ones I use with some old 3/32" 5-speed chains on my
internal-hub gear bike.

The town hate the observatoryfolk, using sophisticated
arguments (almost but not quite entirely along the lines of
"thar tahk ma jawbs!") once heard to be along the lines of we
"are paid too much". I went to argue that this means we bring
federal money into the local economy, but then I remembered I
order all my stuff from Britain

You're not really doing honest or important work obviously, just
sitting there gazing at the stars!

It's a shame that human nature seems to create "us and them"
adversity, out of nothing, everywhere.

John
Old November 17th 07, 01:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Damien wrote:

Maybe not worth it anyway. I bought one of the reusable ($10)
8 speed connex links, and it came apart climbing a hill after
about 500 kms. Gave all the cars behind me a laugh, I ended up
at work late and bloody. I'm now using $2 KMC links on my 8
speed, and sram on my 9 speeds. Complained to my LBS, and all
they could say was I probably fitted it upside down.
Considering there were no instructions provided with the link
it is entirely possible, but safety-related parts like this
should be foolproof!!

I was reluctant to report a sample size of 1, but one of my sons
had a conneX Master Link break as well (a side plate snapped).
I wasn't the last person to do it up, so I can't guarantee it
was all hooked together properly.

John