Sore Elbows

Old November 21st 07, 04:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Sore Elbows

Over the last few weeks, every time I go out for
an extended ride (around 1 1/2 hours or more) I've
been getting some elbow joint pain in both elbows.
There is a general ache and resistance to movement
on the inside of the joint (not sure of the technical
term here - if I put my arm out in front of me with
the palm up, the soreness is on the opposite side
to my thumb).

I've not changed bikes or bike set-up or anything about
my riding really (except maybe doing a bit more now the
weather has improved).

I don't have any other problems on the bike except
I get a bit sore at the base of my neck on longer
rides (3 hours or more).

Any tips about what might cause elbowitis? I've not
been forced to take anti-inflammatories yet but might
consider it if it gets worse.

Maybe I just need to get younger.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old November 21st 07, 04:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
David Springthorpe

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:37:23 +0900, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your
finger.murdoch.edu.au" wrote:

Maybe I just need to get younger.

Not stopping at the pub on the way to "bend the elbow" ?
Old November 21st 07, 06:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

finger.murdoch.edu.au" wrote:

Maybe I just need to get younger.

Not stopping at the pub on the way to "bend the elbow" ?

So that's the cure? Brilliant! My mistake was to have coffee
apre velo.

DeF

Old November 21st 07, 09:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Nov 21, 2:37 pm, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
wrote:
Over the last few weeks, every time I go out for
an extended ride (around 1 1/2 hours or more) I've
been getting some elbow joint pain in both elbows.
There is a general ache and resistance to movement
on the inside of the joint (not sure of the technical
term here - if I put my arm out in front of me with
the palm up, the soreness is on the opposite side
to my thumb).

I've not changed bikes or bike set-up or anything about
my riding really (except maybe doing a bit more now the
weather has improved).

I don't have any other problems on the bike except
I get a bit sore at the base of my neck on longer
rides (3 hours or more).

Any tips about what might cause elbowitis? I've not
been forced to take anti-inflammatories yet but might
consider it if it gets worse.

Maybe I just need to get younger.

the increase in mileage could be it. Maybe look at bringing your bars
a touch closer? It's nigh-on impossible to diagnose fit issues
remotely

DeF

Old November 21st 07, 10:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 12:37:23 +0900
DeF "" wrote:
on the inside of the joint (not sure of the technical
term here - if I put my arm out in front of me with
the palm up, the soreness is on the opposite side
to my thumb).

Sounds like it might be what I have - golfer's elbow.

Try exercises -get a stick or umbrella, grasp it in the middle, and
rotate it, turning your fist as far clockwise then anti as you can.
50 of them with the arm extended, 50 with your elbow resting on
something.

Ice the affected area afterwards.

Try a tennis elbow strap when riding.

Zebee
Old November 22nd 07, 02:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bleve and I agree - fixing fit problems virtually is,
um, virtually impossible. I just thought someone might have
experienced a similar emergence of a this problem (as it appears
Zeebee may have).

I should add that I have a bit soreness now most of the time but
it gets worse when I ride.

Old November 22nd 07, 02:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

DeF "" wrote:
on the inside of the joint (not sure of the technical
term here - if I put my arm out in front of me with
the palm up, the soreness is on the opposite side
to my thumb).

Sounds like it might be what I have - golfer's elbow.

Try exercises -get a stick or umbrella, grasp it in the middle, and
rotate it, turning your fist as far clockwise then anti as you can.
50 of them with the arm extended, 50 with your elbow resting on
something.

Ice the affected area afterwards.

Try a tennis elbow strap when riding.

Zebee

Thanks Zebee - I'll give it a go.

Old November 22nd 07, 06:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:43:51 +0900
DeF "" wrote:

Try exercises -get a stick or umbrella, grasp it in the middle, and
rotate it, turning your fist as far clockwise then anti as you can.
50 of them with the arm extended, 50 with your elbow resting on
something.

Ice the affected area afterwards.

Try a tennis elbow strap when riding.

Thanks Zebee - I'll give it a go.

You also need to do stretching - hold arm with palm up, then push the
straight fingers of that hand down with your other hand.

Another useful exercise uses a rubber band or other stretchy object.
Physios have a bit of latexlike stuff, chemists may have them.

Sit down, fit it the stretchy thing under your foot, tie a knot in the
free end so you don't grab it, you fit the knot between your fingers.
Brace your forearm on your knee palm up.
adjust the length of the stretchy thing so that your hand has to reach
down a fair way to grab it.
Reach down with *other* hand, pull knot up so that it is above the
hand of the bad arm, transfer knot to fingers of bad arm. At this
point that hand is curled up, with stretchy thing between the fingers.
Slowly lower hand to full extension.
Repeat.

The idea is that the lowering motion flexes the forearm in a different
way to raising. YOu want to lower against resistance but not raise
against resistance, hence the other hand doing the lifting.

3 sets of 20 of these.

If the rotation exercise feels easy, then increase the weight of the
rod/umbrella or hold it closer to one end. You want your forearm to
notice the work!

With the tennis elbow strap, fit it in the same way recommended for
tennis elbow - around the forearm, on the main swell of the muscle,
tight enough that when the forearm flexes you can feel the strap
constricting it, not so tight that your arm falls off...

The strap is to stop your muscle putting too much pull on the elbow
tendons.

Do the exercises morning and evening and ice after them, do the hand
stretch several times a day. Wear the strap all day except when doing
the exercises.

From not being able to grip things or move my arm without pain, those
plus a couple of sessions of ultrasound fixed my elbow in about 5
weeks.

Do, however, go see a physio. If it isn't golfer's elbow you may need
to do different things. For example, it might be nerve irritation.

Zebee

Stresses at spoke elbows Ben C Techniques 41 January 17th 07 08:28 PM
Cants and elbows Ben C Techniques 6 December 23rd 06 09:30 PM
Pray and steer with your elbows [email protected] Racing 0 July 20th 06 07:21 PM
flying elbows matabala Racing 2 July 15th 05 04:58 PM
Spoke line correction, elbows, hub bedding, stress relief: will photos show all? [email protected] Techniques 2 January 10th 05 08:12 PM