MIPS helmet

Old February 21st 19, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default MIPS helmet

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 07:20:59 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 2/20/19 11:32 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:54:14 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

just received this link

https://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/...fusion-mips-19

I tried to find out whether the chin strap can be adjusted without
taking the helmet off -- almost my only criterion for selecting a
helmet -- and the ad strongly implies that it hasn't any, at least it
doesn't show during close-ups. What makes this "helmet" stay in
proximity to the head during a crash?

I ran ^find on "chin", "strap", "retention" and "retain" without
result.

Look close here

http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/w...5/986A1953.jpg

Looks like they use Double-Ds, so by definition, adjustable while being
worn.

The Bell Owner's Manual for the full face helmets say a double D ring,
as you suggested.

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 21st 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 4:58:41 PM UTC-8, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:35:51 +1100, James
wrote:

On 21/2/19 5:54 am, AMuzi wrote:
just received this link

https://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/...fusion-mips-19

Can they make one that you don't wear like a helmet? Oh, and not an
exploding neck collar that doubles as a helmet when it explodes.

I remember way back when the subject of helmets first became popular.
This was way back when that "pudding bowl" British helmet was in
common use. See below for pictu

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/trac...orcycle-helmet

There were several articles in motorcycle magazines condemning the
visor on these helmets which was blamed on several motorcycle racers
having broken their necks in crashes. Now we have nearly every bike
helmet having a visor like forward projection. It makes one wonder
whether "style"enters into helmet design :-)

By the way, the reference from Bell Helmets above is:
"for riders who hold nothing back... if you are a rider who loves to
shuttle to the top and then shred all the way down, this helmet is
built for you. "

--
Cheers,
John B.

John, the visors on bike helmets are very lightly attached. Almost any blow detaches them and it doesn't seem to me like they make any difference. I made the mistake of buying an MTB helmet without realizing that they are shaped differently. They are for an upright position on the saddle and when used on a road bike, they block your forward vision.
Old February 21st 19, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 10:54:27 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
just received this link

https://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/...fusion-mips-19
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Jeez - 3 lbs. That's pretty heavy even for a motorcycle which it is designed for.
Old February 21st 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 2/20/2019 7:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
I remember way back when the subject of helmets first became
popular.
This was way back when that "pudding bowl" British helmet was in
common use. See below for pictu

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/trac...orcycle-helmet

There were several articles in motorcycle magazines condemning the
visor on these helmets which was blamed on several motorcycle racers
having broken their necks in crashes. Now we have nearly every bike
helmet having a visor like forward projection. It makes one wonder
whether "style"enters into helmet design :-)

Isn't it obvious that style enters into helmet design? Look how
beautiful they are!

So many people wear them everywhere just because of their dashing good
looks. I've seen them jauntily worn at symphony concerts, art museums,
night clubs and more. If they'd existed in Abe Lincoln's time, I'm
sure he'd have traded in his top hat!

If it saves just one beaver ...

Old February 21st 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/21/2019 2:28 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

:-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 22nd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 7:29:00 PM UTC, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Heh-heh.

Andre Jute
What does top hats have to do with beavers?
Old February 22nd 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Top hats? Oh. So not a reference to someone else.

Old February 22nd 19, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Not unless beavers are overly sensitive.
Old February 22nd 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Top hats used to be made from felt which in turn was made from beaver pelts which in turn largely drove the North American fur trade.

Cheers
Old February 22nd 19, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Seriously? Top hats are made from beavers.