more doping

Old March 2nd 19, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default more doping

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ayer-suspended -after-failing-a-drugs-test-geir-helgemo

--
sig 32
Old March 2nd 19, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

David Scheidt wrote:

| The world No 1 bridge player has been suspended after
| failing a drugs test.
|
| Geir Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in
| bridge events, tested positive for synthetic testosterone
| and the female fertility drug clomifene at a World Bridge
| Series event in Orlando in September.
|
| After accepting he had breached anti-doping rules, Helgemo
| was suspended by the World Bridge Federation (WBF) until 20
| November. He also had all titles, medals and points from
| the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ayer-suspended
-after-failing-a-drugs-test-geir-helgemo

Interestingly, the articles mentioned that the substances he was taking
were not performance enhancing in terms of his ability to play bridge, but
because the World Bridge Federation complies by WADA rules, he got nailed.
Seems a bit unfair for the guy.

Old March 4th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 1:10:13 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:

| The world No 1 bridge player has been suspended after
| failing a drugs test.
|
| Geir Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in
| bridge events, tested positive for synthetic testosterone
| and the female fertility drug clomifene at a World Bridge
| Series event in Orlando in September.
|
| After accepting he had breached anti-doping rules, Helgemo
| was suspended by the World Bridge Federation (WBF) until 20
| November. He also had all titles, medals and points from
| the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ayer-suspended
-after-failing-a-drugs-test-geir-helgemo

Interestingly, the articles mentioned that the substances he was taking
were not performance enhancing in terms of his ability to play bridge, but
because the World Bridge Federation complies by WADA rules, he got nailed.
Seems a bit unfair for the guy.

Yeah, kinda like a guy getting DQd for not having a bar plug _after_ the race.
Old March 5th 19, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Zen Cycle wrote:
:On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 1:10:13 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
: David Scheidt wrote:
: |
: | The world No 1 bridge player has been suspended after
: | failing a drugs test.
: |
: | Geir Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in
: | bridge events, tested positive for synthetic testosterone
: | and the female fertility drug clomifene at a World Bridge
: | Series event in Orlando in September.
: |
: | After accepting he had breached anti-doping rules, Helgemo
: | was suspended by the World Bridge Federation (WBF) until 20
: | November. He also had all titles, medals and points from
: | the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.
: | ...
:
: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ayer-suspended
: -after-failing-a-drugs-test-geir-helgemo
:
:
: Interestingly, the articles mentioned that the substances he was taking
: were not performance enhancing in terms of his ability to play bridge, but
: because the World Bridge Federation complies by WADA rules, he got nailed.
: Seems a bit unfair for the guy.

There's some evidence that testosterone improves cogntive performance.
And whether it does or not, there are people who beliee it does.
Clomifene potentiates testosterone.

I don't believe dopers.

:Yeah, kinda like a guy getting DQd for not having a bar plug _after_ the race.

--
sig 20
Old March 5th 19, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 04:10:14 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

Zen Cycle wrote:
:On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 1:10:13 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
: David Scheidt wrote:
: |
[...]

But where do you draw the line? After all elderly folks are sometimes
prescribed male hormones particularly after an accident to enhance
their body's ability to heal. Aspirin is a drug, in the sense that it
is not a natural part of the body. And the rules change so an
individual that has been taking a "drug" for several years suddenly
become legally disqualified as the drug gets added to the latest list.
See
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...en-2016-tennis

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 5th 19, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

wrote:

Zen Cycle wrote:
:On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 1:10:13 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
: David Scheidt wrote:
: |
[...]

I've had the 'where do you draw the line' discussion dozens of times. Is it fair for a high-budget team to have access to the best doctors, therapists, nutritionists, and get daily recovery therapy that doesn't use pharmacology, where a low budget team has to cook spaghetti in the back of their motorhome? I'd say a rider that gets an IV drip with glucose/saline/B complex while getting a massage and having his blood profile monitored and tweaked "legally" has a distinct advantage over the guy that rubs on his own embrocation. IMHO, performance enhancing therapies aren't limited to drugs.
Old March 5th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

David Scheidt wrote:

| The world No 1 bridge player has been suspended after
| failing a drugs test.
|
| Geir Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in
| bridge events, tested positive for synthetic testosterone
| and the female fertility drug clomifene at a World Bridge
| Series event in Orlando in September.
|
| After accepting he had breached anti-doping rules, Helgemo
| was suspended by the World Bridge Federation (WBF) until 20
| November. He also had all titles, medals and points from
| the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ayer-suspended
-after-failing-a-drugs-test-geir-helgemo

Interestingly, the articles mentioned that the substances he was taking
were not performance enhancing in terms of his ability to play bridge, but
because the World Bridge Federation complies by WADA rules, he got nailed.
Seems a bit unfair for the guy.

There's some evidence that testosterone improves cogntive performance.
And whether it does or not, there are people who beliee it does.
Clomifene potentiates testosterone.

I don't believe dopers.

:Yeah, kinda like a guy getting DQd for not having a bar plug _after_ the race.

But where do you draw the line? After all elderly folks are sometimes
prescribed male hormones particularly after an accident to enhance
their body's ability to heal. Aspirin is a drug, in the sense that it
is not a natural part of the body. And the rules change so an
individual that has been taking a "drug" for several years suddenly
become legally disqualified as the drug gets added to the latest list.
See
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...en-2016-tennis

--
Cheers,
John B.

I've had the 'where do you draw the line' discussion dozens of times. Is
it fair for a high-budget team to have access to the best doctors,
therapists, nutritionists, and get daily recovery therapy that doesn't
use pharmacology, where a low budget team has to cook spaghetti in the
back of their motorhome? I'd say a rider that gets an IV drip with
glucose/saline/B complex while getting a massage and having his blood
profile monitored and tweaked "legally" has a distinct advantage over the
guy that rubs on his own embrocation. IMHO, performance enhancing
therapies aren't limited to drugs.

Money is perhaps one of the most effective PEDs out there.

Old March 5th 19, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

David Scheidt wrote:

| The world No 1 bridge player has been suspended after
| failing a drugs test.
|
| Geir Helgemo, who is Norwegian but represents Monaco in
| bridge events, tested positive for synthetic testosterone
| and the female fertility drug clomifene at a World Bridge
| Series event in Orlando in September.
|
| After accepting he had breached anti-doping rules, Helgemo
| was suspended by the World Bridge Federation (WBF) until 20
| November. He also had all titles, medals and points from
| the 2018 World Bridge Series revoked.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ayer-suspended
-after-failing-a-drugs-test-geir-helgemo

Interestingly, the articles mentioned that the substances he was taking
were not performance enhancing in terms of his ability to play bridge, but
because the World Bridge Federation complies by WADA rules, he got nailed.
Seems a bit unfair for the guy.

There's some evidence that testosterone improves cogntive performance.
And whether it does or not, there are people who beliee it does.
Clomifene potentiates testosterone.

I don't believe dopers.

:Yeah, kinda like a guy getting DQd for not having a bar plug _after_ the race.

But where do you draw the line? After all elderly folks are sometimes
prescribed male hormones particularly after an accident to enhance
their body's ability to heal. Aspirin is a drug, in the sense that it
is not a natural part of the body. And the rules change so an
individual that has been taking a "drug" for several years suddenly
become legally disqualified as the drug gets added to the latest list.
See
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...en-2016-tennis

--
Cheers,
John B.

I've had the 'where do you draw the line' discussion dozens of times. Is
it fair for a high-budget team to have access to the best doctors,
therapists, nutritionists, and get daily recovery therapy that doesn't
use pharmacology, where a low budget team has to cook spaghetti in the
back of their motorhome? I'd say a rider that gets an IV drip with
glucose/saline/B complex while getting a massage and having his blood
profile monitored and tweaked "legally" has a distinct advantage over the
guy that rubs on his own embrocation. IMHO, performance enhancing
therapies aren't limited to drugs.

Money is perhaps one of the most effective PEDs out there.

exactly....
Old March 5th 19, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Zen Cycle wrote:
:On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 1:10:13 PM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
: David Scheidt wrote:
: |
[...]

This is part of the reason I've never been interested in spectator sports.

Casual competition among individuals is fun. But when things get
organized into serious leagues, weirdness arises. And once there's a
chance at making real money, all hell breaks loose.

I've never seen a reason to give those guys, and that system, any of my
attention.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Fed up of Doping? Davey Crockett[_5_] Racing 4 July 18th 08 03:37 PM
doping benjo maso Racing 7 February 1st 07 12:35 AM
Doping Control Dopes Need Doping Control And/Or Watches - Too Funny Joe King Racing 11 September 12th 06 12:31 PM
Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping B. Lafferty Racing 26 December 10th 04 12:40 PM
Klaus-Peter Thaler On Recreational Doping & Tour Doping B. Lafferty Racing 0 December 9th 04 02:41 PM