Four punctures and three patches.

Old July 16th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

Default Four punctures and three patches.

You would have thought that 3 patches in the puncture kit would be
sufficient for a gentle 20km pootle, including a river-bank I haven't
traversed before, wouldn't you? No, there were 4 holes. One I found
right away, very ragged, glass probably. The next two were sharp grit
still in the tyre, funnily enough the same coloured grit that "S" use on
the section of NCN11 that I'd just ridden along. The fourth was a thorn.

Resigning myself to stopping every 3-4 minutes on the nominally
half-hour ride home, the first time I stopped to pump was alongside a
narrow-boat tied up in the lode. The owner stepped out and asked how I
found the bank on the small wheels of the Moulton. He had a Bickerton
but didn't ride it on unsurfaced tracks, "too flexy". (He also had an
MTB on which he did 6km each way along the lode for food shopping.)
I said that the Moulton didn't flex, but that I wouldn't be doing that
section of bank again on it, too rough and too many P*nct*r* Fa*r*es
hiding in the bushes. Out of patches? Hang on, he's got some close at
hand.

So the last hole was patched and I made it home before dark without
stopping again, after a conversation including the building of De Haviland
Goblin centrifugal jet-turbine engines -- he must have been a lot older
than he looked.....

There's a Schwalbe Marathon Slick replacement tyre already in stock
under my workbench in the garage, and a new tube too, so that should
stave off PF visits for a while. In fact once the new tyre is fitted all
the roadworthy bikes will be on Schwalbes [unpaid product endorsement].

Mike

Old July 16th 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Mike Causer wrote:

Resigning myself to stopping every 3-4 minutes on the nominally
half-hour ride home, the first time I stopped to pump was alongside a
narrow-boat tied up in the lode. The owner stepped out and asked how I
found the bank on the small wheels of the Moulton. He had a Bickerton
but didn't ride it on unsurfaced tracks, "too flexy". (He also had an
MTB on which he did 6km each way along the lode for food shopping.)

A narrow boat and a motor torpedo boat to go shopping in. Sounds like
fun :-)
Old July 17th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:37:29 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

A narrow boat and a motor torpedo boat to go shopping in. Sounds like fun
:-)

There have been complaints about the pirate problem in the area for years,
but the council & police refuse to take any action -- too scared of them.

Mike

Old July 17th 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Bulmer

Mike Causer wrote:
You would have thought that 3 patches in the puncture kit would be
sufficient for a gentle 20km pootle, including a river-bank
There's a Schwalbe Marathon Slick replacement tyre already in stock
under my workbench in the garage, and a new tube too, so that should
stave off PF visits for a while. In fact once the new tyre is fitted
all the roadworthy bikes will be on Schwalbes [unpaid product
endorsement].

Mike

Nope, you forgot the spare inner tube. If you carry nowt else, at least have
a spare tube & a pump (or make the wife carry it like my mate Gary. And
John.)
--

Martin Bulmer

Old July 17th 06, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

Martin Bulmer wrote:
Mike Causer wrote:
You would have thought that 3 patches in the puncture kit would be
sufficient for a gentle 20km pootle, including a river-bank
There's a Schwalbe Marathon Slick replacement tyre already in stock
under my workbench in the garage, and a new tube too, so that should
stave off PF visits for a while. In fact once the new tyre is fitted
all the roadworthy bikes will be on Schwalbes [unpaid product
endorsement].

Nope, you forgot the spare inner tube. If you carry nowt else, at
least have a spare tube & a pump (or make the wife carry it like my
mate Gary. And John.)

Your wife must be strong.

Either that or Gary and John are very light.

IGMC

Old July 17th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Bulmer

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
Martin Bulmer wrote:
Mike Causer wrote:
You would have thought that 3 patches in the puncture kit would be
sufficient for a gentle 20km pootle, including a river-bank
There's a Schwalbe Marathon Slick replacement tyre already in stock
under my workbench in the garage, and a new tube too, so that should
stave off PF visits for a while. In fact once the new tyre is
fitted all the roadworthy bikes will be on Schwalbes [unpaid product
endorsement].

Nope, you forgot the spare inner tube. If you carry nowt else, at
least have a spare tube & a pump (or make the wife carry it like my
mate Gary. And John.)

Your wife must be strong.

Either that or Gary and John are very light.

IGMC

She's sturdy.
--

Martin Bulmer

Old July 17th 06, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:39:37 +0100, Mike Causer
wrote:

You would have thought that 3 patches in the puncture kit would be
sufficient for a gentle 20km pootle, including a river-bank I haven't
traversed before, wouldn't you? No, there were 4 holes. One I found
right away, very ragged, glass probably. The next two were sharp grit
still in the tyre, funnily enough the same coloured grit that "S" use on
the section of NCN11 that I'd just ridden along. The fourth was a thorn.

When down to my last patch, I cut them in half if I can get away with
it.
Old July 18th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Tom Crispin wrote:

When down to my last patch, I cut them in half if I can get away with
it.

And when down to your last half patch?

--

Dave...

Old July 18th 06, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

dkahn400 wrote on 18/07/2006 14:49 +0100:
Tom Crispin wrote:

When down to my last patch, I cut them in half if I can get away with
it.

And when down to your last half patch?

You can never run out of Xeno's tyre patches

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old July 18th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

Tom Crispin wrote:

When down to my last patch, I cut them in half if I can get away with
it.

And when down to your last half patch?

You can never run out of Xeno's tyre patches

Only because you can never get close enough to them to pick one up.

Tim