Foot Position

Old August 20th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

Default Foot Position

Was wondering what type of foot position people prefer. I did a quick
search of the forums and found that some suggest positioning the balls
of your feet over the pedal, while others prefer positioning the arch
over the pedal. I learned to ride with pressure on the balls of my
feet, but now that I'm starting to get into some muni, I'm questioning
if this is the best way to go. On really bumpy terrain, I sometimes
find it difficult to keep my feet on the pedals.

Thoughts?

--
capuni
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

balls are better for you (i think)
if you do drops, ride arches, because other wise you WILL roll your
ankles (over flex them on the landing)

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

Unicaw89 wrote:
Koxx rapes Torker hard!

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
puresyn

torkerdx wrote:
balls are better for you (i think)
if you do drops, ride arches, because other wise you WILL roll your
ankles (over flex them on the landing)

Extremely good point. Are there any penalties to using the balls such
as shorter jumps or less mobility?

--
puresyn

Billy thinks I am a wimp, so then it must be true!
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

puresyn wrote:
Extremely good point. Are there any penalties to using the balls such as
shorter jumps or less mobility?

not really, that i know of. i am less agressive with balls on the
pedals because i know i will get hurt if i do onything big.
pretty much the only difference is comfort ( i find balls more
comfortable) and rate of injury

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

Unicaw89 wrote:
Koxx rapes Torker hard!

Old August 20th 07, 10:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

For MUni you have to ride arch over the pedal. Balls could be good if
you are doing a lot of FreeStyle. I never likes Balls positioning and
always found that I had much more power and control with Arch.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

I can imagine that using the balls of your feet would be advantageous if
you were doing flip tricks...

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
yatsey

Unicorn wrote:
I never likes Balls positioning and always found that I had much more
power and control with Arch.

That power statement isn't true at all, why do you think a proper
riding style on mountain and road cycling is to use the balls of your
feet. You get a much larger push force on the pedals when you need it.

I use the balls of my feet because using arch causes the pedals to
press into bones that are fairly flexible and weak...doing larger drops
could make you much more prone to injury.

--
yatsey

where the speechless unite in a silent in a silent accord
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

I see my leg/foot as a lever. The shorter the lever the more power it is
going to have. You will be able to lift much more weight with your knee
than with your foot.

Unicorn

Old August 20th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
yatsey

Unicorn wrote:
I see my leg/foot as a lever. The shorter the lever the more power it is
going to have. You will be able to lift much more weight with your knee
than with your foot.

Unicorn

However at the same time this isn't a pure physics question, it's a
part of biology. Which muscles can apply the most force without
suffering in strength. What I said before tends to be common lore
within the biking community.

Old August 20th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

I tink dat:

Taking big drops(about 2 feet) is all about compression on the
joints, not the spring in your step.
Don't take a big drop with your toes on the pedals unless you know wuz
sup.

--
critter

MUni all the time Brah! I'm looking for win-win situations.

http://www.usenet.com

Foot position on pedals tholub Unicycling 1 January 29th 07 06:49 PM
Foot position on pedals Joe2005 Unicycling 0 January 29th 07 04:28 PM
Foot Position benjaug Unicycling 12 December 29th 06 11:16 PM
Coker Foot Position pdc Unicycling 22 August 30th 05 10:12 PM
Foot position gpickett00 Unicycling 19 March 3rd 04 11:38 AM