Good small cycling mountain town

Old August 11th 03, 11:37 PM
FlashSteve

Default Good small cycling mountain town

I would like to re-locate to a town that meets the following criteria:
-under 50, 000 people
-easily accessible road and mountain-biking
-bicycle friendly: at least, there are decent shoulders, if not bike lanes.
Drivers are 'reasonably' respecful towards cyclists
-In the mountains: anywhere between 4K and 8K elevation. Of course, that might
mean winter snow, but I would welcome a few months off the bike and onto the
nordic skiis
-Not pure resort culture. There is some kind of yearound economy & the town
does not exist solely to service tourists
-Any part of the country

I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the 'Best
Towns to Live In" magazine articles. By the time a town gets into one of those
articles, it's too late.

Thanks,

Steve Scarich

PS I'm already familiar with Bend, Durango, Boulder, Boise
Old August 12th 03, 12:20 AM
Terry Morse

FlashSteve wrote:

I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the
'Best Towns to Live In" magazine articles. By the time a town gets into
one of those articles, it's too late.

If you're not worried about finding a well paying job:

http://www.chester-lakealmanor.com/
Old August 12th 03, 01:51 PM
David Bertenshaw

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:20:10 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

If you're not worried about finding a well paying job:

http://www.chester-lakealmanor.com/

Looks fine to this resident of Chester (UK) - we've got a few more
Roman walls, but not as many mountains...

David
Old August 12th 03, 06:45 PM
Raoul Duke

"FlashSteve" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Steve,

I can certainly recommend that you consider Carson City, Nevada. Around 50K
in population and just under 5K feet in elevation. It's located at the base
of the Sierra Nevadas about a 20 minute drive from Lake Tahoe and near many
world class ski resorts.

Carson is by no means strictly a resort town and has a much more diverse
economy.

http://www.carson-city.nv.us/index.html

A great place for riding too. Miles and miles of relatively flat terrain in
the valleys or some pretty intense mountain passes if you like to test your
legs and lungs. The annual "Death Ride" is held nearby.

http://www.deathride.com/

Dave

Old August 12th 03, 11:13 PM
JB

Boone, NC (college home to Appalachian State University... ) elevations in
the range population in there
skiing nearby... Hincapie (sp?) and Armstrong have trained there, so roadie
friendly... not sure on the trails. 2 hours app. from Charlotte, NC

Old August 24th 03, 12:09 AM
TomP

I whole heartedly agree. The road ride around the lake is excellent. Lots
of logging roads to MTB on too.

You could also live in Westwood,CA; just east of Chester about 5 miles or so.

Terry Morse wrote:

FlashSteve wrote:

I know this is kind of a weird information request, but I've read all the
'Best Towns to Live In" magazine articles. By the time a town gets into
one of those articles, it's too late.

If you're not worried about finding a well paying job:

http://www.chester-lakealmanor.com/

Tp

Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.