Light Weight, Long Distance, Durable Road Wheels - Recommendations?

Old March 28th 05, 02:51 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Light Weight, Long Distance, Durable Road Wheels - Recommendations?

Steve Sr. wrote:
After digging through the last year and a half of news group posts
regarding wheels I still haven't found a consensus for a good durable
wheel set. It appears that there is a bias against "boutique" wheels
for this purpose but then there have also been a lot of complaints
with the conventionals like Mavic not being as good as they used to be
and causing reliability problems.

I am looking for a set of road wheels for long distance group riding
not racing. I weigh 160 pounds which might make the choice easier.

I want the hubs to be of high quality with no maintenance sealed
cartridge bearings. Based on the distance requirement we're probably
talking conventional round spokes and aluminum rims. BTW, these will
be for a Shimano 10-speed drive train.

Based on these requirements I am probably looking at having someone
build these wheels from the recommended parts. however, if you can
recommend some good wheels that match the requirements that are
pre-built I will consider these also.

So which components / wheels would you recommend?

Thanks,

Steve

I would suggest DA or Ultegra hubs altho they are not cart bearings.

The hubs out there that have cart bearings are expensive and not made as
well as shimano(or Campagnolo).

But the best are certainly PhilWood, but very expensive and not light.

Velocity Aerohead or Fusion rims, DT spokes, 32 hole, laced 3 cross,
brass nipples. made well.