performance brick and mortar adieu?

Old January 16th 19, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Default performance brick and mortar adieu?

Am 15.01.2019 um 18:37 schrieb sms:
I think that I will bring one of my old Belt Beacons into the interviews
and ask each candidate to identify it and to tell me what kind of
battery it uses.

Would it not be ageist if your interview questions exclude everybody
below the ago of 40??
Old January 16th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/15/2019 11:54 PM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 15.01.2019 um 18:37 schrieb sms:
I think that I will bring one of my old Belt Beacons into the
interviews and ask each candidate to identify it and to tell me what
kind of battery it uses.

Would it not be ageist if your interview questions exclude everybody
below the ago of 40??

I don't know all the applicants, but in the past that would not have
been a problem since most of the applicants have been older.

Hmm, based on this forum, I think the best questions would be:

1. What is your opinion about chain lubrication, wax, oil, lard, or other?
2. Do you think that encouraging helmet usage causes obesity?
3. Can you give us your views on carbon-fiber forks?
4. Dynamo lights or battery powered lights, which are better and why?
5. Tubeless or tube, why?
6. Should the border wall have a bicycle path on top?
7. CO2 or pump or solid tires?
8. Should we pass a pedestrian helmet law given that gardening is dangerous?

Old January 19th 19, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wolfgang Strobl[_3_]

Am Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:49:15 -0500 schrieb Frank Krygowski
:

On 1/15/2019 9:06 PM, jbeattie wrote:

My first set of rollers was from Palo Alto Bikes in 79/80 -- this set: http://tenspeedhero.com/features/yes...s-money-pt-ii/ They had sintered bushings instead of bearings which was a feature and not a bug. They were fondly known as the Paris Roubaix rollers, and they made a roar when you road them. Rather than people commenting on my sweat, I had the downstairs neighbors pounding on the ceiling with broom sticks.

Those rollers finally died, and I bought a set of Tacx rollers in 1984 that I still have to this day. I've replaced an end-cap, bearings and belts and some broken fans (got the metal cowlings), but they're still going strong. In fact, my communication with the folks at Tacx to get a replacement end-cap was one of the first e-mails I ever sent. I couldn't believe it was answered. Customer service was great. I was too cheap to buy Kreitlers.

I had very little money but access to a machine shop, so I built ours.

I should probably say "... I built my wife's." She rode them far more
than I ever did.

These will last forever, I'm sure. They haven't accumulated a single
mile in over ten years. :-(

I cycled to work during most of my working life, every single working
day, during summer and winter. So I never saw the point in using such a
roller.

This changed quite unexpectedly in the summer of 2011, after getting a
broken collarbone and some shoulder damage in a fall caused by a blown
front tube.

Unfortunately, this did some permanent damage to the shoulder an some
nerves, partially caused by a severe medical malpractice during the
initial treatment of the broken collarbone. In consequence, I never
cycled to work again and couldn't ride a real bicycle at all, for a few
years thereafter.

After medical rehab training in 2011, I bought a Tacx t1680, which I'm
still using regularly, in order to stay fit.

https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/tacx-t1680/tacx-t1680-in-der-verpackung/view.html

I'm quite satisfied with its performance. It is quite compact, self
contained, no mobile phone or app necessary, but programmable, sort of.
The display unit on the handlebar controls the electric brake on the fly
wheel on the rear, in order to adjust the torque which is necessary to
get the selected power. It offers the usual statistics, work done in
joule or kCal, average cadence, km or miles ridden, etc.

For some nostalgic reasons I mounted my first Peugeot PR60/L from 1978
http://www.mystrobl.de/ws/fahrrad/fuhrpark.htm
on the t1680

https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/tacx-t1680/pr-60-l-im-t1680/view.html
http://www.mystrobl.de/ws/fahrrad/bilder/Alltagsraeder/target18.html

We got our bicycles (my PR60/L Randonneur, her P65/L Mixte) from a local
bike shop, for touring in France during our vaccations. Me using it for
riding to work too came somewhat later. I still enjoy looking at the
pictures taken during our tours through france with that bike.

In 1981, for example, we rode from Tours to Besançon.

https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/wolfgang-strobl/fotos/Frankreich/loire.html

Fun fact:

When looking at two of the pictures from that series
https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/wolfgang-strobl/fotos/Frankreich/loire/loire3b.png/download
https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/wolfgang-strobl/fotos/Frankreich/loire/19-.jpg/download
you'll notice a gadget from
http://tenspeedhero.com/wp-content/uploads/Palo-Alto10.jpg on both our
bicycles, Cat. No. 40-10, a Huret Cyclometer.

That resetable trip odometers came quite handy when navigating using a
paper map.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions
Old January 20th 19, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/19/2019 3:44 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the inspirational story. Hey that's a cool
Peugeot (can't remember our USA version model number...)

And excellent choice on that Multito too. Those were so
dependable and cheap that they stayed popular well into the
electronic geegaw era.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 20th 19, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/19/2019 6:58 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/19/2019 3:44 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

you'll notice a gadget from
http://tenspeedhero.com/wp-content/uploads/Palo-Alto10.jpg on both our
bicycles, Cat. No. 40-10, a Huret Cyclometer.

That resetable trip odometers came quite handy when navigating using a
paper map.

Thanks for the inspirational story.Â* Hey that's a cool Peugeot (can't
remember our USA version model number...)

And excellent choice on that Multito too. Those were so dependable and
cheap that they stayed popular well into the electronic geegaw era.

I never owned one, but I had many friends who did.

As I recall, the little drive belts (really, O-rings) would break after
a while. But someone told me theirs lasted far longer if they rode the
bike every day, instead of letting it sit all week.

One more reason to ride to work!

BTW, when I built up my about-town three speed several years ago, one of
my objectives was to see if I could build a bike completely from the
stuff in my spare parts bins. So the cyclometer on this thing is one of
the old tick-tick-tick ones with the star wheel driven by a peg on a spoke.

Such a nostalgic sound!

(I remember back when I counted the ticks within 5 seconds to get a
rough miles per hour reading.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 20th 19, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 1/19/2019 1:44 PM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
[...]

Tacx makes nice stuff, glad yours is working well for you. I suspect
many of us in this group also fondly remember the Huret Multito (I do,
though I now much prefer a Garmin.)

Mark J.
Old January 20th 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 8:00:39 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/14/2019 10:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:44:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 6:36:43 AM UTC-8, David Scheidt wrote:
patrick patm216...mail.com wrote:
:Many of the performance brick and mortar locations are going bye bye.. If you are fortunate enough(??) to live near one (US), you might stock up on useful consumables. Over leveraged from the sound of the type on the demise. They didn't mention the e commerce side of things- likely to continue?
: Regards, Pat

You have until tomorrow to bid on the assets of the parent company.
(which owns a bunch of bike brands, a distributor, and nashbar, as
well as performance.)

--
sig 27
Oh, they own Nashbar? I always used to use them for my consumables..patch kits, tubes (not so much 27" tyres, had to search far and wide to get an interesting varitey), shifter/brake cables, straddle wires (what *is* the proper name for those?) and the like.

Anyway, Pureheart in Aptos

There is still time to get as many patches and tubes as you could ever need. From the bankruptcy docket:

The Auction for the Assets will commence on January 15, 2019 at 10:00 a..m. (ET) at the Durham Convention Center, Junior Ballroom A, 301 West Morgan St., Durham, NC. The Convention Center is adjacent to the Durham Marriott City Center, 201 Foster St., Durham, NC.

ï‚· Only Qualified Bidders, the Debtors and the Consultation Parties will be permitted to attend or participate in the Auction. Qualified Bidders may participate telephonically with the consent of the Debtors and the Consultation Parties.

ï‚· The Bankruptcy Court will conduct a hearing (the "Sale Hearing") to consider the proposed Sales on January 22, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. (ET), in Courtroom #1, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 101 S. Edgeworth St., Greensboro, NC.

Maybe we can get the NG to put together some cash and make a bid for Nashbar. We can change it back to Bike Warehouse and recreate the '70s-'80s catalog offerings. http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/BikeWarehouse-80/ Sell Bob Jacksons! http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/pr...he-peg-frames/ Suntour Cyclones for everyone!

I'm in!!!

--
- Frank Krygowski

By the way (cut and pasted from docket, excuse formatting):

Advanced Sports Enterprises, Inc. and certain of its affiliates, as debtors and debtors in
possession (collectively, the "Debtors") conducted the Auction of certain real and personal
property and other related interests (the "Assets") pursuant to the "Bidding Procedures Order"
(Doc. 205) on Wednesday, January 16, 2019, commencing at 10:00 a.m. (ET).
At the conclusion of the Auction, the Debtors designated HTM USA HOLDINGS, INC.2
(the “Buyerâ€) as the successful bidder for the Assets.
Attached are copies of (i) the Buyer’s Asset Purchase Agreement, and (ii) the proposed
Sale Approval Order.
Upon designation by the Buyers of the Assumed Contracts, the Debtors will promptly
notify all counterparties to the Assumed Contracts (the “Assumption Noticeâ€) and provide copies
of the Adequate Assurance Information received from the Buyer.

HTM Holdings owned Head among other sporting goods companies. I don't know if they were a creditor. We'll see what happens to the assets.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 21st 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/14/2019 7:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Maybe we can get the NG to put together some cash and make a bid for Nashbar. We can change it back to Bike Warehouse and recreate the '70s-'80s catalog offerings. http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/BikeWarehouse-80/

I could us a few Belt Beacons for $8.95 each.

They had a really great selection then. Especially for tourists. I have about everything but the saddlebags left. Don't know what the hell I'm going to do with things like stoves and tents big enough to bring your bike into. Ground clothes etc. The stove is a two burner kerosene stove. You have to preheat it with some alcohol before it will light but it burns hotter than natural gas.

I keep coming across all of this crap in the garage that I can't remember. I had this large plastic milk delivery case filled to the top with tubulars.. I only used those for about a year and the shop owner I used gave me a lot after he stopped sponsoring a team. I wish I had had him build me a bike. He was a really good frame maker.
Old January 21st 19, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 9:10:26 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/14/2019 7:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Maybe we can get the NG to put together some cash and make a bid for Nashbar. We can change it back to Bike Warehouse and recreate the '70s-'80s catalog offerings. http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/BikeWarehouse-80/

I could us a few Belt Beacons for $8.95 each.

Well, according to the inflation calculator, that's $57.35 in 2017 dollars. Hmmmm. We can beat that! Get some Alibaba $1 tail lights and put them in cut-off beer cans or little plastic pots with with belt attachments and amber trailer light lenses. Sell them to the hard-core retro crowd -- the guys who are buying up all the handlebar bags. We'll be hundredaires!

-- Jay Beattie.

They had a sale on video cameras that you mount on bikes. Really very high resolution. $30 so I got one. I haven't looked it over very carefully yet but I didn't see a charging port so I guess it uses batteries. I had planned on using it as a house protection camera since my home was nearly broken into. But if it can't be run from external power that's the end of that idea.. They were dumping these things because they are about 3" x 2" and they probably are bringing something out that's a great deal smaller like the GoPro.
Old January 21st 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 9:37:42 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/15/2019 9:10 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:35:17 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/14/2019 7:47 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Maybe we can get the NG to put together some cash and make a bid for Nashbar. We can change it back to Bike Warehouse and recreate the '70s-'80s catalog offerings. http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/BikeWarehouse-80/

I could us a few Belt Beacons for $8.95 each.

Well, according to the inflation calculator, that's $57.35 in 2017 dollars. Hmmmm. We can beat that! Get some Alibaba $1 tail lights and put them in cut-off beer cans or little plastic pots with with belt attachments and amber trailer light lenses. Sell them to the hard-core retro crowd -- the guys who are buying up all the handlebar bags. We'll be hundredaires!

-- Jay Beattie.

In two weeks, my City Council and I have to interview candidates for our
Bicycle-Pedestrian Commission. As mayor this year, I have some leeway to
set up the interview process. I think that I will bring one of my old
Belt Beacons into the interviews and ask each candidate to identify it
and to tell me what kind of battery it uses. Those that know what it is,
who manufactured it, and that it uses a 9V battery, move forward in the
selection process. But I may have a hard time filling all the openings.

https://i1.wp.com/farm7.static.flickr.com/6160/6189987842_f74e520725.jpg?resize=500%2C300
https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI1MFgxMDE1/z/Px0AAOSwQS1bhhvg/$_1.JPG

I hope you're kidding. There is an entire younger generation of super-pro-bicyclists that use bicycles for almost their entire transportation needs. These people need to be made use of though perhaps they will also need a little reining in.

[650B] Pari-Moto tire; Nous vous souhaitons adieu or buyers needed! bfd Techniques 3 September 1st 09 11:16 AM
Adieu, Dan B. Lafferty Racing 78 December 7th 05 06:20 PM
Memorial for a Hero - We bid you adieu, oh beloved Gazzalodi. Fuego Unicycling 20 March 18th 05 02:23 AM
Thick as a Brick Yanks BCL Australia 41 November 29th 04 12:42 PM
Adieu Specialized? Chris Zacho The Wheelman General 4 February 24th 04 02:10 PM