Wisil page "making an idler wheel"

Old January 3rd 05, 11:02 PM
Ken Marcet

Default Wisil page "making an idler wheel"

I have been looking for a chain roller solution for my first homebuilt. I
found this page http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/idler/idler.htm and
was wondering how many people use this method and what kind
of results they get. I want something that is fairly easy to fabricate but
at the same time somewhat durable. I don't want to have to change wheels
every 100 miles or less.

Ken

--
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
Arthur C. Clarke

Old January 3rd 05, 11:53 PM

Ken Marcet wrote:
I have been looking for a chain roller solution for my first

homebuilt. I
found this page http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/idler/idler.htm

and
was wondering how many people use this method and what kind
of results they get. I want something that is fairly easy to

fabricate but
at the same time somewhat durable. I don't want to have to change

wheels
every 100 miles or less.

Ken

Skate-wheel rollers have been around a long time and are generally
somewhat satisfactory. Since skate wheels come in various hardnesses
(durometers), it's tough to make any hard-and-fast estimates of
durability. I used to replace my Lightning power-side idler once or
twice a year- and it's made of tougher stuff than a skate wheel.

If I were building my own, I'd use a scooter wheel as a start, since
its larger diameter should be more durable. If you want something that
should last forever, take a look at the idlers from Terracycle:
http://www.terracycle.com/parts.htm

Jeff

Old January 4th 05, 02:18 AM
skip

wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:02:04 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
wrote:

I have been looking for a chain roller solution for my first homebuilt. I
found this page http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/idler/idler.htm and
was wondering how many people use this method and what kind
of results they get. I want something that is fairly easy to fabricate but
at the same time somewhat durable. I don't want to have to change wheels
every 100 miles or less.

Ken

Check out this solution: http://geocities.com/throwaway888/

Bentbobb I don't get the drawing as it relates to chain idlers and old
E-TypeJags, but if you are taking parts off the Jag for a homemade
recumbent bike I will be glad to rescue the E-Type from that fate. I pretty
much consider all Jags, especially E-Types to be works of art. I would be
happy to have one on display in my garage.

I have used the type chain idler shown on the wisil site on my Ryan touring
bike for at least 10 years without even being aware it was there. It was a
in-line skate wheel provided by Dick Ryan and it has worked perfectly (and
quietly) for something around 7,500 miles.

skip

Old January 4th 05, 02:51 AM
Tom Sherman

$kip wrote:

Bentbobb I don't get the drawing as it relates to chain idlers and old
E-TypeJags, but if you are taking parts off the Jag for a homemade
recumbent bike I will be glad to rescue the E-Type from that fate. I pretty
much consider all Jags, especially E-Types to be works of art. I would be
happy to have one on display in my garage.

"It's [Jaguar E-Type] the dumb blonde of high-performance cars." -
Stirling Moss

A garage display would be an appropriate use for the E-Type, rather than
pouring money into it to try to keep it running.

--
Tom Sherman - Author: "The Reliable English Sports Car - A Work of Fiction"

Old January 4th 05, 03:25 AM

Tom Sherman wrote:

A garage display would be an appropriate use for the E-Type, rather

than
pouring money into it to try to keep it running.

I think Peter Egan would take issue with that:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1661
Jeff

Old January 4th 05, 03:58 AM
skip

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
$kip wrote:

Bentbobb I don't get the drawing as it relates to chain idlers and old
E-TypeJags, but if you are taking parts off the Jag for a homemade
recumbent bike I will be glad to rescue the E-Type from that fate. I
pretty much consider all Jags, especially E-Types to be works of art. I
would be happy to have one on display in my garage.

"It's [Jaguar E-Type] the dumb blonde of high-performance cars." -
Stirling Moss

The E-Type Jag was ravishingly beautiful and devastatingly fast. I've known
at least one dumb blonde that would fit that discription and apparently
Stirling Moss has also.

Performance - 150 mph top speed with 0 - 60 in 7 seconds.

A garage display would be an appropriate use for the E-Type, rather than
pouring money into it to try to keep it running.

--
Tom Sherman - Author: "The Reliable English Sports Car - A Work of
Fiction"

Fine art is never cheap regardless of form or where located.

For practicality and economy I recommend a Toyota Echo or a RANS Tailwind or
Rocket.

$$$kip

Old January 4th 05, 04:02 AM
skip

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
"It's [Jaguar E-Type] the dumb blonde of high-performance cars." -
Stirling Moss

A garage display would be an appropriate use for the E-Type, rather than
pouring money into it to try to keep it running.

--
Tom Sherman - Author: "The Reliable English Sports Car - A Work of
Fiction"

Aside from the beauty of the E-Type how about explaining bentbobb's drawing
to me. That's what I would really like to understand.

skip

Old January 4th 05, 04:06 AM
Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman wrote:

A garage display would be an appropriate use for the E-Type, rather

than

pouring money into it to try to keep it running.

I think Peter Egan would take issue with that:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1661

Two of the four E-Types in the story succumbed to mechanical problems.

Peter Egan gets extra credit for being a cyclist, and once writing a
column advocating treating cyclists as legitimate road users, despite
being a cheesehead. [1]

[1] I have lived in Wisconsin for 13 years, so I have earned the right
to make cheesehead jokes.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 4th 05, 04:38 AM
Tom Sherman

$kip wrote:

For practicality and economy I recommend a Toyota Echo or a RANS Tailwind or
Rocket.

I currently have two of the three. The Toyota would be much more
attractive if it came in a station wagon version long enough to hold two
passengers and two Sunsets.

Does anyone else remember the picture of Bill Volk's Toyota Echo with
his Coroplast tailbox equipped Zox26 in front? The tailbox made the bike
longer than the Echo's wheelbase.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 4th 05, 05:02 AM
skip

$kip wrote:

For practicality and economy I recommend a Toyota Echo or a RANS Tailwind
or Rocket.

I currently have two of the three. The Toyota would be much more
attractive if it came in a station wagon version long enough to hold two
passengers and two Sunsets.

Does anyone else remember the picture of Bill Volk's Toyota Echo with his
Coroplast tailbox equipped Zox26 in front? The tailbox made the bike
longer than the Echo's wheelbase.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

I think the rest of the world does have an Echo station wagon or hatchback
available. No idea why they don't offer it in the US.

Do you understand bentbobb's drawing?

skip