Clear Channel

Old October 11th 03, 04:41 PM
Jym Dyer

Default Clear Channel

=v= I'm on a bunch of Critical Mass email lists and I see this
popping up here and there, all over the U.S. I think there are
three dynamics at work he

(1) Drive-time radio basically tries to pander to its
presumed audience, motorists who don't care about
anything but getting somewhere fast. This stuff is
in the same vein as the mindless drive-time blowhard
rants about emissions controls, gas prices, tolls,
and highway construction.

(2) Ratings-seeking "shock jocks" whose idea of cutting-
edge humor is attacking women and minorities, seeing
bicyclists as yet another "other" to say moronic
things about.

(3) ClearChannel works to make the airwaves homogenous.
If their idiot deejays screw up in one market, they
can just move to another locale. As some of this is
programmed centrally, they may not even need to move.

_Jym_
Old October 13th 03, 07:03 PM
Adrian Hands

Excellent!

The Bay area paper, "Contra Costa Times", has reprinted the "LA Times"
article too in today's (Oct 13) edition.

Cyclists ride stations for dumb stunts
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/7002072.htm

Here in Raleigh NC we've had reports of authentic cycling-oriented
PSAs airing on a couple of other clear channel stations.

Here's some local press reaction:
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/sto...-2693054c.html

I've got some problem with referring to it as a "controversy" - I
don't see what's "controversial" about it - inciting random
potentially-lethal violence on unsuspecting road travelers is wrong
and illegal. A broadcast radio professional engaging in such activity
is inexcusable.

(Karen M.) wrote in message . com...

Controversy to be covered by Good Morning America Weds Oct 15.