Why riding bikes is a better way to lose weight than jogging.

Old October 20th 04, 08:41 PM
the black rose

gds wrote:
The article you quote talks about percentages of total burned
attributed to fat. But one still needs to calcualte the absolute
amount. So, hypothetically you can burn a smaller percentage from fat
but still burn more fat if your total energy consumptuion is higher by
enough. I don't have the data at my hands but the algebra certainly
works over a large range of values.

I've seen the same sort of figures, somewhere, I can't remember where.
The thing that sticks out in my mind goes something like: at 65% vo2max,
you're burning a higher percentage of fat, but at 75% vo2max, you're
burning a lower percentage but a higher total amount of fat and a lot
more energy. And IIRC, your energy consumption isn't a linear
progression as your percentage of vo2max goes up.

Anecdotally folks who ride a lot at the cardio level seem to be leaner
than folks who train mostly at the fat burning level. A riders tend
to be leaner than B who are leaner than C riders etc. So those who are
working harder seem to also be able to burn fat pretty well.(Of course
total training plays a role here as well as intensity)

Funny how that works, ain't it? *grin*

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Riding to get fit and lose weight: any advice? Doesnotcompute UK 20 July 25th 03 10:28 AM