Outside Mag. on Kerry's Cycling

Old October 16th 04, 02:45 PM
Fx199

A woman called into Larry King the other night and said she's not
voting for Kerry because he has a crooked smile.

Never underestimate the shallowness of the voting public.

Kerry is all style and no substance.
Old October 16th 04, 03:49 PM
Terry Morse

Fx199 wrote:

Kerry is all style and no substance.

Kerry is a politician, and that dictates just about everything he
says or does in public. Just as with all politicians.
Old October 17th 04, 12:34 AM
Jym Dyer

That's a beach volleyball body, with a few probable cosmetic
adjustments.

=v= Volleyballs, huh? I was gonna guess silicone.
_Jym_
Old October 17th 04, 08:16 AM
Thomas Reynolds

Terry Morse wrote in message ...
Fx199 wrote:

Kerry is all style and no substance.

Kerry is a politician, and that dictates just about everything he
says or does in public. Just as with all politicians.

I agree. Fx199 should go over to one of the other Bush/Kerry threads and troll.
Old October 20th 04, 02:06 AM
Ronsonic

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:53:19 -0500, John Thompson

On 2004-10-14, Terry Morse wrote:

" Kerry can also bounce his likeability if he plays up his cycling.
At a time when Lance Armstrong has helped road riding become one of
America's fastest-growing pursuits, we've seen very little of Kerry
on his bike‹except for an early-summer wipeout that was picked up by
the press. When he does roll into view, he's coming on too fancy,
brandishing an ultra-trendy LIVESTRONG bracelet and toting his
$8,000 Serotta Ottrot with him on the campaign jet.

" The result? He looks like a loser who's bought into a new sport
with top-of-the-line equipment, only to be smoked by guys with
cheaper but authentically worn-out gear. It's probably too late for
Kerry to dump the Serotta for a proletarian ride (although we happen
to have a vintage, rusting Schwinn we'd part with for only $2,000),
so his best shot at legitimacy is to take a couple of strategic
spins. A strong finish‹or a flashy wreck‹in a local criterium would
build street cred. A Sunday ride with Lance would go a long way as a
photo op. And, again, he must at all costs avoid being photographed
in tight shorts."

http://outside.away.com/outside/decision04/index_3.html

Alas, I guess America's not yet ready to see its commander in chief
in lycra.

And here I thought people rode their bikes and windsurfed because they
enjoyed it. Shows what I know -- I've been doing it all wrong. I guess
I'll have to hire some Outside Magazine image consultants before I go for
another ride.

Nah. If you're riding for enjoyment, fitness, a sense of sport and challenge
you're probably better off without the mag or the consultant. But if you're a 60
year old politician with a fat wallet and a desperate fear of seeming un-hip,
then you NEED them.

Betcha Kerry has the mag.

Ron