The cyke has been invented

Old November 4th 03, 10:54 PM
Klaas Bil

Default The cyke has been invented

This device has been patented (number NL 1019905) by
Dutch inventor Jan Helderman. My newspaper had it in their weekly column
"Uitgedacht" (Thought out). As I wrote in the thread 'BC with handle',
the inventor calls it a cyke.

Klaas Bil

| Attachment filename: wielfiets.gif |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/170918|

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old November 4th 03, 11:24 PM
James_Potter

It's like a Segway! But cheaper!
And it wouldn't be a BC wheel anymore with a handle.

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire and
he'll be warm for life.-

Old November 5th 03, 03:29 AM
evilewan

why do they let such stupid stuff get patented?

its kind of counterintuitive realy, since patents were designed to
encourage creativity.

imagine if sombody had patented the splined unicycle hub?
thered be no profile, no onza, no kh, no qu-ax.

on a side note who made the first one?
i know dm made the first production spilned hub, but who made the first
prototype?

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old November 5th 03, 03:39 AM
evilewan

people were playing with these for years, using what was essentialy the
handlebars and forks from a bmx.

how does one go about proving that there was prior art in the public
domain? and having the patent invalidated, i suspect you need a lawyer.
we all know that this didnt invent the thing but how could we invalidate
the patent?..........bascicly we cant, without paying millions in
lawyers fees.

this is a clasic example of why patent law sucks, and would you beleive
that the us is trying to extend patents to include software and
mathamatical methods,ideas and business methods.

--
evilewan - death or glory

Old November 5th 03, 05:35 PM
Liam

In article st.com,
(evilewan) wrote:

this is a clasic example of why patent law sucks, and would you beleive
that the us is trying to extend patents to include software and
mathamatical methods,ideas and business methods.

And plant species.

Liam

WWW.INTERNETCAMERASDIRECT.CO.UK

Want a new camera? You'll find great deals on digital cameras and
camcorders at Internet Cameras Direct.
I have bought from them myself and consider them to be reliable and to
offer very competitive prices.

href="http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/clickclocker/click.cgi?a=mcdo
nagh.me.uk/&b=120x120_c01"img border=0
src="http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/clickclocker/getlink.cgi?a=mcd
onagh.me.uk/&b=120x120_c01"/a

Old November 5th 03, 06:09 PM
nbrazzi

evilewan wrote:
*
imagine if sombody had patented the splined unicycle hub?
thered be no profile, no onza, no kh, no qu-ax.
*

No qu-ax?? No qu-ax?? I don't know if I could live in a world with no
qu-ax!!

do they even know how ridiculous that name is? Is it "quacks" or
"cue-axe".

--
nbrazzi

any God with sense is going to want to promote unicycling

-onewheeldave on religion
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

Old November 5th 03, 06:14 PM
joona

nbrazzi wrote:
*
do they even know how ridiculous that name is? Is it "quacks" or
"cue-axe". *

Probably the last one.

--
joona - )-O --Neat

In search for the ultimate sign
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Old November 5th 03, 07:34 PM
johnfoss

evilewan wrote:
*imagine if sombody had patented the splined unicycle hub?
thered be no profile, no onza, no kh, no qu-ax.*

I haven't looked anything up, but I imagine all the early manufacturers
of splined axles have patents on their designs, including Profile.

These patents, assuming they exist, protect their owners to a certain
extent, and encourage competitors to "innovate" (sorry to use
Microsoft's word) rather than just copy. When they make their own
designs, they may come up with better ones.

Yes, the patent system is flawed, but that does not mean we should do
away with it. I think there will always be gray areas, impossible to
define, when it comes to "new ideas" so it will be hard to make such
laws perfect.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Old November 6th 03, 08:47 AM
wobbling bear

johnfoss wrote:
*
Yes, the patent system is flawed, but that does not mean we should do
away with it.*

could it be possible for the unicyclist community to set up
equivalents
of Gnu or such licences that exist for community software?

bear

--
wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

Old November 8th 03, 12:46 AM
duaner

evilewan wrote:
*patent law are incredibly flawed, the whole system needs to be
completely overhauled. id gladly get rid of the whole thing.

patents are a pretty bad thing realy because they are designed to
create monopolies ( are there any good reasons to have monopolies?).*

Patent low is also a good (partial) protection AGAINST monopolies.
Without patent low there would be no financial reasons for small
startups or individual inventors to create anything; because, as soon as
it was proved marketable, the already existing monopolies would
immediately put the newcomer out of business with their copies.

Another example of where patent law benefits: if it weren't for patent
law our best painkillers might still be aspirin and morphine. It costs
_lots_ of money to develop new drugs, and without some protection, there
would be little to no financial incentive for new drug development.

I'm not saying that patent law or it's practice are anywhere near
perfect, but it is of substantial benefit. Ever been glad you had a
Cresent wrench handy? Vise Grip pliers? Ever use Velcro? These
patents have now expired, but without the patents the products might
never have been available at all - brand name or otherwise.

duaner.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297