muni eye wear?

Old October 31st 03, 12:33 PM
thinuniking

Default muni eye wear?

i am not sure but i think i read some where that is a good idea to wear
sunglasses while muning if so has any one tried wearing squash glasses
as they are clear for in the dark + the have and elastic strap so the
can't wiggle or fall off on more bonce trails also some are anti fog has
any one tried this
ben

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old October 31st 03, 02:02 PM
aspenmike

There are a few different sunglass manufactures that make glasses with
interchangeable lenses for different light conditions. I use Smith
sunglasses with four different lenses, check em out.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old October 31st 03, 07:49 PM
onewheeldave

You can get safety glasses from industrial safety shops.

They're very cheap (start from £3.00) and come in different lense
colours. They tend to be wraparound design so they stay on well.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old October 31st 03, 11:37 PM
dale.nichols

I too wear Smiths; One of the reasons I chose them was for their
interchangeable lenses feature. Another because they look cool! Check
them out: www.smithsport.com
I wear the "District" Deja-Blue model:

--
dale.nichols - avid unicyclist

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

-Walt Disney

dale.nichols's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3806

Old October 31st 03, 11:40 PM
dale.nichols

hmm.. attachment didn't work. I'll try again.

Anyway, I need to buy some anti-fog to put on my lenses. The weather's
starting to get cold, and with the heat my body produces when muniing,
if i'm standing still for more than five seconds, they start fogging up.
Does anyone know of a "make-it-yourself" home remedy for anti-fog? I
heard the stuff in the stores is quite expensive.

Thanks,

--Dale

| Attachment filename: sun_district_dejablue_pm15.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/170351|

Old November 1st 03, 04:24 PM
jason

Oddly enough tobaco can be used as an anti-fog home remedy. When I was a
boy we had a small bag of it we used to rub on the front windsheild of
our auto. Back then there wasn't any Rain-X like products. The downside
to using it on a pair of sun glasses is that it will likey stink. Of
course a bottle of Rain-X is probably a LOT cheaper than a pack of
cigerettes.

Cheers,
Jason

--
jason - Just some guy
jason's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1014

Old November 1st 03, 04:27 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Toothpaste works well as an antifog agent. Just be sure to use some that
is not abrasive. Smear some on the lenses and then rinse them off

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old November 1st 03, 09:01 PM
Klaas Bil

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:40:33 -0600, dale.nichols
wrote:

Does anyone know of a "make-it-yourself" home remedy for anti-fog? I
heard the stuff in the stores is quite expensive.

Any mild detergent, very sparingly applied, should do. Try e.g. liquid
dishwashing soap. What it does is lower the surface tension so that
water does not condense in tiny droplets but in a smooth layer.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray. - UniBrier

Old November 2nd 03, 01:53 PM
brian.slater

jason wrote:
*Back then there wasn't any Rain-X like products. *

I wouldn't use Rain-X for anti-fog, if you have very small droplets even
the wipers won't remove them when you have Rain-X on. Note: I like it
on my car, but *-not-* when it's misty or foggy.

-Originally posted by Klaas Bil-
*Any mild detergent, very sparingly applied, should do. Try e.g.
liquid dishwashing soap. What it does is lower the surface tension so
that water does not condense in tiny droplets but in a smooth layer.*

Or you could go to any underwater dive shop and get some fancy
commercial anti-fog for dive masks, which is, Ta-Da, diluted
detergent. Just make sure you follow the directions or you can
end-up foaming at the mouth or blowing bubbles with your nose.

Seriously, dilute some liquid dish washing detergent, apply sparingly,
dry, making sure that you don't dry -to- well, you want to leave a
*thin* film of detergent. That's what many divers do, except the ones
that have to much money.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old November 10th 03, 03:43 AM
dale.nichols

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. Yesterday I tried the dishwashing soap
trick. It worked pretty good. I got through about 2/3 of the ride
(complete ride was three hours) wearing my sunglasses. By that time I
was giving off a lot of heat. The lenses didn't fog, they just got
blurry. Last time I was only 20 minutes into my ride before they
started fogging up!

--Dale