My 4th ride across Oklahoma

Old June 22nd 04, 07:22 PM
Cokerhead

Default My 4th ride across Oklahoma

I had a blast! I'll make a longer report later.

-Mark

--
Cokerhead
Cokerhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/136

Old June 22nd 04, 07:42 PM
juggleVT

What type of unicycle do you use to ride across the state? How long did
it take you? E-mail me back at , or, if that
doesn't work:

Congrats on your riding!

--
juggleVT
juggleVT's Profile:

Old June 22nd 04, 07:49 PM
scot

Just guessing that Cokerhead uses a Coker to ride long distance.

Way to go Mark!!! Let us know more about it. Any pics?

--
scot - cyclops

Copyright 2001,
Lagunitas Brewing Company, Beer Speaks, People Mumble

stick with what works
http://www.unitours.org/tours/ScotCooper/
scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

Old June 22nd 04, 07:51 PM
johnfoss

Hmmm. What kind of a unicycle might Cokerhead use? Okay, but the details
would surely be interesting as well, such as seat, handlebar setup,
crank length, etc.

Looking at a map, I get the idea you could ride *across* Vermont on a
20" faster than someone else could ride across Oklahoma on a Coker...

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Beer me." -- Scot Cooper, at the end of a group ride all the way up and
all the way down Mt. Diablo (3300'), a 20 mile round trip of road and
trail.

Old June 22nd 04, 07:56 PM
Cokerhead

This is the newspaper picture.

| Attachment filename: scanned picture 1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/218694|

Old June 22nd 04, 07:58 PM
Cokerhead

I'm working on a long story with lots of details.

Old June 22nd 04, 10:38 PM
Cokerhead

This was my 4th ride on "Freewheel". For more general info & photos of
me from 2001 2002 & 2003, go to okfreewheel.com.

The 1st year I rode 225 miles on my Coker & 70 miles on a borrowed
bike.
The 2nd year I rode 300 miles on my Coker. The 3rd year I rode the
entire distance (390 miles) on my Coker. All the hills too.

This year I had less training miles than any of the other years. I did
lose some weight. Down from 248 lbs in April to 220 lbs at the
beginning of the ride.

I was riding my Wyganowski Coker w/handle extension & rear rack. I also
added some bar ends to the extension about 2 months ago. The Coker
weighed about 30 lbs with all my junk in the rack bag. I used 125mm
cranks all 4 years.

My computer wasn't working properly. It kept good time, but didn't give
me credit for all my miles or an accurate avg. speed. I guess my avg.
speed to be around 11mph for the entire week.

Day 1: Duncan to Apache - Sunday, June 13 51 miles
Today was fantastic! It was truly a "warm up" day that ended in Apache
after 4 hrs 19 mins of riding time out of 5 hrs 50 mins total.
At Apache, we enjoyed Indian tacos and cold coed showers

Day 2: Apache to Cordell - Monday, June 14 69.3 miles (I rode 41
miles)
Today was the toughest day. Not too hilly, but at 9:30 I was drenched
in sweat. I went swimming in Fort Cobb lake. The route was bumpy and
dusty. After 41 miles, someone told me the temp was 98 degrees. Even
tho I could have ridden farther, it would have been ugly. I sagged in &
enjoyed the rest of the day in Cordell. Later, I learned the official
temp was over 100 degrees.

Day 3: Cordell to Cheyenne - Tuesday, June 15 66 miles
Today was the most pain free fun day I've ever had on a 66 mile Coker
ride. Just before lunch, I felt a hard pull on my left shoestring.
Yep, wrapped around the axle and all I could think of is to stomp on the
pedal harder to break the lace. It did break after the 3rd revolution.
Most of the hills were steep enough to work me but not steep enough to
test my skills. At Cheyenne, I had enough strength left to teach
several people to ride a borrowed 48" RBR Boneshaker until well after
dark.

Day 4: Cheyenne to Thomas - Wednesday, June 16 66 miles (I rode 3
hrs-not sure how many miles)
Today was tough. I started getting sore almost immediately. I kept
catching SAG rides towards Thomas & then would keep trying the Coker
again. I ended up riding only 3 hrs worth. This day was tied with the
day before for difficulty of the hills. I stayed in the basement of a
Church while 60 mph winds came thru the campsite tearing up tents and
knocking over some of the portajohns.

Day 5: Thomas to Fairview - Thursday, June 17 53 miles
Another nice day. The storm from the night before brought cooler
weather & the scenery was awesome! I rode across the Canton Dam at
speeds that would have been scary if it wasn't such a perfect road.
After that, 10 miles of shade. I arrived at Fairview after a 5 mile
downhill. I got a motel room for $20 at the last minute. Unicyclist
discount?? Not sure, but the motel manager seemed impressed when he saw
me ride up on my Coker. I continued to ride around town after a shower.
Some days ARE better than others.

Day 6: Fairview to Cherokee - Friday, June 18 51 miles
Today was into the wind. All day long. I had a flat. A highway
patrolman, 2 SAG vehicles & 10 loud mouthed cyclists stopped to help
before I even got my wheel off. I patched the tube, but forgot to check
the tire. Later, I got frustrated at my inability to freemount uphill
into the wind. I actually kicked at my Coker. My shin bled when it
bashed the pedal. A passing cyclist almost fell off his bike from
laughing too hard. This cracked me up too & after a long laugh I felt
much better. I then freemounted downhill,downwind & rode into Cherokee
with a smile on my face.

Day 7: Cherokee to Anthony, KS - Saturday, June 19 47 miles
Today I started at 6 AM so I could get to Anthony before the closing
ceremony at 1 PM and my bus ride back left at 2. I had another flat and
this time took the metal out of my tire from the day before. It was
colder (65 degrees) and into the wind mostly. It rained the 1st few
hrs. I felt good tho. I passed a lot of bikes into the wind on the
flats. It was the flattest day of the ride, but was still exciting to
ride to the finish,

In some ways, I'm glad I didn't push really hard to ride "all the way" &
I started to notice more about the ride than I had in years' past. The
people on this ride & in the small towns we rode thru were incredible!
There was an 83 yr old man that rode the entire route. A 73 yr old guy
hand pedalled his cycle the whole way. One guy (50 yrs+) ran most if
not the entire route.

-Mark

Old June 23rd 04, 04:24 AM
Doug Massey

Way to go, Mark!

My dad saw many of the b*kes involved out by Elk City, but no unicyclists.

Give me a ring when you're around Norman.

Doug

"Cokerhead" m wrote in
message icyclist.com...

Old June 23rd 04, 04:36 AM
GizmoDuck

Awesome, thanks for sharing you're ride with us. Was there a big group
of cyclists taking part? Were there any other unicyclists?

Congratulations and well done!

--
GizmoDuck - New Zealands fastest unicyclist

o-kO

"Give a man dead fish, and he feed himself for lunch, teach man to catch
fish, and he feed himself for life. Teach man to wheel ride, and he
make friends everywhere, and even have lunch at their place."

Ancient Chinese saying

Old June 23rd 04, 06:48 AM
john_childs

Wow! That's some wild weather you had during the ride.

A whole day with strong headwinds is no fun. Headwinds in the Midwest
can be evil. When I did my cross-country bike ride I had a long day in
Nebraska battling a headwind. I was down on the aero bars and still
having difficulty going above 10 miles per hour when the wind was
blowing strong. A truly brutal wind and made for a very long day. To
make it even worse, that day we needed to go a little over 100 miles to
get to our planned destination. It was after sundown by the time we
finished that day.

And yes, I've kicked my Coker (and my muni) in frustration too.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
Cades Cove Loop Ride... chirokid Unicycling 14 November 3rd 03 12:55 PM
2003 Illinois AITC ride report(long) harryo Recumbent Biking 14 September 9th 03 01:01 AM
2003 RSVP (post ride ramblings) William Higley, Sr. Recumbent Biking 0 August 11th 03 02:07 AM