A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FOLDING BIKES DON'T HAVE TO BE DULL

Old January 5th 21, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default FOLDING BIKES DON'T HAVE TO BE DULL

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 12:03:35 AM UTC, sms wrote:

I bought a Montague Urban many years ago. You can't even tell that it's
a folder. The current model is very different
https://www.etrailer.com/Folding-Bikes/Montague/URBANDC19.html.

It works great but it doesn't fold small at all, and you have to remove
the front wheel to fold it.

A full-size bicycle that would work great as a folder is the Pedersen of 1896, offered in a modern development by the makers of my Kranich, Utopia-Velo of Germany, who are known as the "Rolls-Royce of bicycles". The Pedersen is tensioned by cables and rods, with a leather hammock as a "top tube", which should theoretically make it easier to dis- and re-assemble. It is a bicycle which depends for its function on being a certain substantial size, so I don't think it will fold up very small. See https://www.pedersen-velo.de/produkte/pedersen-fahrrad/ and click on the image of the yellow bike. You can get a 3D view of the frame on the 4th of the images in the slideshow which clicking on the linked image makes available, The tube crossings are not connected as in a cross-frame bike, so the basic package size would be the stacked wheels superimposed on the tubes forming the triangle bottom bracket to rear dropout to head tube and back to bottom bracket, with the "bottom tube" and the "seat tube" folding into the triangle. You won't understand this until you're studied the Pedersen's anatomy or are looking at the pictures I linked. It might even with very little redesign be possible to fold all the tubes into a tube package of lesser length and only the same girth as the fork, in which case the package profile is the length of the fork and the height of the rear wheel with the rack attached, for a bike for a six-foot cyclist say less than four feet by less than three feet by about a foot thick, no bigger than a flyaway golf bag and lighter too.

Andre Jute
No use for a folder but the truth will come out..
Ads
Old January 5th 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 5:28:38 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:

A full-size bicycle that would work great as a folder is the Pedersen of 1896, offered in a modern development by the makers of my Kranich, Utopia-Velo of Germany, who are known as the "Rolls-Royce of bicycles". The Pedersen is tensioned by cables and rods, with a leather hammock as a "top tube", which should theoretically make it easier to dis- and re-assemble. It is a bicycle which depends for its function on being a certain substantial size, so I don't think it will fold up very small. See https://www.pedersen-velo..de/produk...ersen-fahrrad/ and click on the image of the yellow bike. You can get a 3D view of the frame on the 4th of the images in the slideshow which clicking on the linked image makes available, The tube crossings are not connected as in a cross-frame bike, so the basic package size would be the stacked wheels superimposed on the tubes forming the triangle bottom bracket to rear dropout to head tube and back to bottom bracket, with the "bottom tube" and the "seat tube" folding into the triangle. You won't understand this until you're studied the Pedersen's anatomy or are looking at the pictures I linked. It might even with very little redesign be possible to fold all the tubes into a tube package of lesser length and only the same girth as the fork, in which case the package profile is the length of the fork and the height of the rear wheel with the rack attached, for a bike for a six-foot cyclist say less than four feet by less than three feet by about a foot thick, no bigger than a flyaway golf bag and lighter too.

Here, some company or another supplies connectors so that you can break a standard bike in half and fold it together. They, like Folding bikes serve no useful service around here. The places that would make the most sense to use them are so dangerous because of very highspeed congested roads that are so wide that you can't get across them and have to resort to going across the intersection in the bike lane then turning right and going to the back of the line of the cross traffic at lights. This is where Scharf is trying to tell us that far slower folding bikes offer some sort of advantage. I worked a great deal in the Silicon Valley area and no person in their right mind would commute there and ride a bicycle a block. San Francisco is a commuter's nightmare with only a narrow region flat enough for a person in street cloths to commute. Most of the hills are so steep that the sidewalks have steps on them. If you know the city well and are willing to go FAR out of your way you can go via routes that keep the climbs fairly mild.

The East Bay area should have been the idea place for bicycle commuting but companies that should have located there, for reasons understood only for the unreasoning, would locate in Silicon Valley that offered only large tracts of cheap land on which to build world class facilities that are now largely empty.
Old January 5th 21, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 5:21:21 PM UTC, wrote:
On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 5:28:38 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:

A full-size bicycle that would work great as a folder is the Pedersen of 1896, offered in a modern development by the makers of my Kranich, Utopia-Velo of Germany, who are known as the "Rolls-Royce of bicycles". The Pedersen is tensioned by cables and rods, with a leather hammock as a "top tube", which should theoretically make it easier to dis- and re-assemble. It is a bicycle which depends for its function on being a certain substantial size, so I don't think it will fold up very small. See https://www.pedersen-velo.de/produkte/pedersen-fahrrad/ and click on the image of the yellow bike. You can get a 3D view of the frame on the 4th of the images in the slideshow which clicking on the linked image makes available, The tube crossings are not connected as in a cross-frame bike, so the basic package size would be the stacked wheels superimposed on the tubes forming the triangle bottom bracket to rear dropout to head tube and back to bottom bracket, with the "bottom tube" and the "seat tube" folding into the triangle. You won't understand this until you're studied the Pedersen's anatomy or are looking at the pictures I linked. It might even with very little redesign be possible to fold all the tubes into a tube package of lesser length and only the same girth as the fork, in which case the package profile is the length of the fork and the height of the rear wheel with the rack attached, for a bike for a six-foot cyclist say less than four feet by less than three feet by about a foot thick, no bigger than a flyaway golf bag and lighter too.

Here, some company or another supplies connectors so that you can break a standard bike in half and fold it together. They, like Folding bikes serve no useful service around here. The places that would make the most sense to use them are so dangerous because of very highspeed congested roads that are so wide that you can't get across them and have to resort to going across the intersection in the bike lane then turning right and going to the back of the line of the cross traffic at lights. This is where Scharf is trying to tell us that far slower folding bikes offer some sort of advantage. I worked a great deal in the Silicon Valley area and no person in their right mind would commute there and ride a bicycle a block. San Francisco is a commuter's nightmare with only a narrow region flat enough for a person in street cloths to commute. Most of the hills are so steep that the sidewalks have steps on them. If you know the city well and are willing to go FAR out of your way you can go via routes that keep the climbs fairly mild.

The East Bay area should have been the idea place for bicycle commuting but companies that should have located there, for reasons understood only for the unreasoning, would locate in Silicon Valley that offered only large tracts of cheap land on which to build world class facilities that are now largely empty.

My understanding is that Bob Noyce placed Fairchild, the seed of the later expansion, in the Santa Clara (Silicon Valley as it would become) mainly by an accident of propinquity.
world class facilities that are now largely empty

To mix a metaphor, greedy, incompetent legislators can milk a golden goose only so long before it flies away.
Andre Jute
The memory of an elephant.
Old January 7th 21, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 9:37:29 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:

My understanding is that Bob Noyce placed Fairchild, the seed of the later expansion, in the Santa Clara (Silicon Valley as it would become) mainly by an accident of propinquity.

To mix a metaphor, greedy, incompetent legislators can milk a golden goose only so long before it flies away.
Andre Jute

The Silicon Valley companies were world famous but they were eating themselves stealing good engineers from one another. Even today I've have dozens of offers from down there and always turn them down. When they get this state rolling again the commute would be absolutely impossible. It would probably be faster to commute on a bicycle than in a car and it is some 40 miles.
Old January 7th 21, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 12:30:54 AM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 9:37:29 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:

Andre Jute

The Silicon Valley companies were world famous but they were eating themselves stealing good engineers from one another. Even today I've have dozens of offers from down there and always turn them down. When they get this state rolling again the commute would be absolutely impossible. It would probably be faster to commute on a bicycle than in a car and it is some 40 miles.

It's a condition I'm familiar with, competitors spending most of their time stealing trained staff from each other, a standard condition in the advertising trade for three decades. -- AJ
Old January 7th 21, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 16:30:52 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

The Silicon Valley companies were world famous but they were eating themselves
stealing good engineers from one another. Even today I've have dozens of offers
from down there and always turn them down.

Think about H1B visas. Trump just extended the ban on new H1B visas
until March 31:
https://workpermit.com/news/us-work-visa-ban-extended-until-march-31-trump-20210104
What's happening is that existing foreign workers on H1B visas are
slowly going back home, resulting in vacancies. However, the
companies are not offering US wages for replacements. They're
offering the very low wages that were made by the existing H1B
workers. The hope is that Biden and friends will remove the H1B ban
and they can continue to hire foreign workers at rock bottom prices.
In order to do that, they will need to prove to the government that
there is an insufficient supply of domestic workers available to fill
the positions. So, they advertise for domestic workers, like you. You
get to go through the entire interview process. Everyone will like
your qualifications and abilities. At the end of the interview, they
make you an offer, which will be at the very low rate of an H1B
employee. Of course, you will refuse, which is exactly what you are
expected to do. The company then claims that they interviews some
number of qualified domestic workers for the position, but none were
"available". They are then allowed to import low cost H1B workers.
They never mention why nobody was available.

When they get this state rolling again the commute would be absolutely
impossible. It would probably be faster to commute on a bicycle
than in a car and it is some 40 miles.

Car pooling might be useful.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Old January 7th 21, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 1/7/2021 3:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
wrote:

I know this is a repeat, but I still like it:
https://www.theonion.com/report-98-p...ans-1819565837

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 8th 21, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
wrote:

until March 31:
https://workpermit.com/news/us-work-visa-ban-extended-until-march-31-trump-20210104

I worked with some really good Indian programmers that were here illegally via the H1B visa which I believe was issued so that you could go to school and would allow you to work while in school. But they always stayed after. But off-hand I can't remember any very good Indian hardware designers.
Old January 8th 21, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
wrote:

until March 31:

With everyone at home it appears that way presently but if you remember, all of he freeways south of Fremont were jammed to a stop in the 2000's. All of the sidestreets etc. were jammed to a standstill And you would have cars going 80 mph down the emergency lanes. As soon as one did that the emergency lane filled with cars doing that until no one could even safely take an exit. One day out of 10 you would have a normal commute. I was always the gungho guy that would be to work at the time the doors would open. I would always buy an automatic coffee maker for the break room and supply cups so that you could either bring your own or if you didn't have one you could grab one of the white one's I'd always get a case of and there was always a black marker pin so that you could personalize it so you have your own private coffee cup. After it was time to leave I would wash all of the cups etc. out and load the automatic coffee pot so that it would have coffee ready when I came in. I would be working long before everyone else got in and sometimes I would have to make a new pot of coffee.
Old January 8th 21, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 7, 2021 at 3:49:59 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/7/2021 3:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
wrote:

I know this is a repeat, but I still like it:
https://www.theonion.com/report-98-p...ans-1819565837

So your entire cash of knowledge is Fake News articles on the Internet? As I was coming back from todays 1900 foot 26 mile ride I went past BART. The local BART for San Leandro is in fact two stations. San Leandro and Bay Fair. The San Leandro station has four parking lots and when people were working before you got rid of Trump, all of these spaces were filled and you had to rent a space by the month. At Bayfair there are probably 1000 spaces and they would be almost entire filled. There is a commuter train as well that was always jammed. Does that sound like people don't like public transit?