Cervelo Soloist and Aerodynamics

Old March 2nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Cervelo Soloist and Aerodynamics

Hi, All.

If I'm very well behaved this year, I may, around Xmas, get myself the
aluminium Soloist Team. But I just can't get my head around the aero
downtube. What is this like in any sort of cross wind? When you're
passed by a car or truck? Anyone here in Brisbane ridden one across
the Goodwill Bridge on a windy day?

Of course, CSC use them for training. They're probably better bike-
handlers than me (and faster).

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,
Ian Golledge

Old March 2nd 07, 10:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
roshea[_4_]

Wrote:
Hi, All.

If I'm very well behaved this year, I may, around Xmas, get myself the
aluminium Soloist Team. But I just can't get my head around the aero
downtube. What is this like in any sort of cross wind? When you're
passed by a car or truck? Anyone here in Brisbane ridden one across
the Goodwill Bridge on a windy day?

Of course, CSC use them for training. They're probably better bike-
handlers than me (and faster).

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,
Ian GolledgeI haven't ridden one so I could not be sure BUT - the downtube on my

Scott CR1 is almost that diameter and I don't find cross-winds a
massive problem. I have not read any comments suggesting that the
Soloist was difficult to control in wind, so you should be OK.

BTW - when I bought my Scott frame I was trying to decide between it
and the Soloist Alu (and have read about a few people on these forums
having to make the same decision - seems to be a common dilemma!). The
only thing that tipped me in favour of the Scott was that a Cervelo
dealer steered me away from the Soloist as a non-racing bike as, in his
opinion, the ride was a bit harsh (maybe he just wanted to sell me an
Orbea, his other stocked brand!). Maybe it's not that bad - the reviews
on the Soloist are generally very good!

--
roshea

Old March 2nd 07, 12:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 2, 11:34 am, wrote:
Hi, All.

If I'm very well behaved this year, I may, around Xmas, get myself the
aluminium Soloist Team. But I just can't get my head around the aero
downtube. What is this like in any sort of cross wind?

You're huge, it's tiny.

Old March 4th 07, 03:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Claes[_2_]

I ride on one too, and I have had it for several years, and never even
thought about it, so I do not think you need to worry about that.

I do NOT find it harsh, and I compare it to a 1990s columbus spx
vicini.
Sure it is stiffer, that is noteiceable, and not as soft, but I would
not call it harsh.

I am riding a "round the bay race" in sweden, 300 kms, in June, and I
am not worried about the bike causing me fatigue.

--
Claes

Old March 6th 07, 10:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Mar 4, 1:51 pm, Claes
wrote:
I ride on one too, and I have had it for several years, and never even
thought about it, so I do not think you need to worry about that.

I do NOT find it harsh, and I compare it to a 1990s columbus spx
vicini.
Sure it is stiffer, that is noteiceable, and not as soft, but I would
not call it harsh.

I am riding a "round the bay race" in sweden, 300 kms, in June, and I
am not worried about the bike causing me fatigue.

--
Claes

Great. Thanks for the info, All.

Ian