Tire is trash?

Old June 25th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Tire is trash?

Here is a pic of my Conti 4000 after today's ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dsdad/tire.jpg

The cut in the tire is deeper than the wear indicators. It's right down
to what I suspect is the armor shield. Because it's this large and also
down to the belt, I am figuring that the tire isn't safe any more. It
only has about 1,000 miles on it.

I believe I cut it when I hit a bit of a hole going down an alley in the
semi-darkness right at dawn. OTOH, it may have been a simple piece of
glass which we have many of due to the celebratory nature of beer
drinking whilst driving. In either case, the 'improved' Kevlar belt
seems to have done its job admirably.

I'd like to hear that this tire still does have some life left in it so
I don't have to toss a tire which cost me U$50 only a short while ago.
Comments? Thanks.

-paul
Old June 25th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article
Paul Cassel wrote:
Here is a pic of my Conti 4000 after today's ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dsdad/tire.jpg

The cut in the tire is deeper than the wear indicators. It's right down
to what I suspect is the armor shield. Because it's this large and also
down to the belt, I am figuring that the tire isn't safe any more. It
only has about 1,000 miles on it.

I believe I cut it when I hit a bit of a hole going down an alley in the
semi-darkness right at dawn. OTOH, it may have been a simple piece of
glass which we have many of due to the celebratory nature of beer
drinking whilst driving. In either case, the 'improved' Kevlar belt
seems to have done its job admirably.

I'd like to hear that this tire still does have some life left in it so
I don't have to toss a tire which cost me U$50 only a short while ago.
Comments? Thanks.

If the tyre doesn't show any distortion in the carcass at full pressure
then I'd risk using it some more, after filling the hole with glue to
stop stuff from getting trapped in it.
Old June 25th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 25/06/2006 16:00, Paul Cassel said,

I'd like to hear that this tire still does have some life left in it so
I don't have to toss a tire which cost me U$50 only a short while ago.
Comments? Thanks.

No, I would say that tyre (t-y-r-e) is dead! Regardless of the fact
that the belt may or may not be damaged, would you want to risk it
bursting suddenly at speed? Especially if it's on the front!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 25th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Here is a pic of my Conti 4000 after today's ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dsdad/tire.jpg

I'd like to hear that this tire still does have some life left in it so I
don't have to toss a tire which cost me U$50 only a short while ago.
Comments? Thanks.

So long as it's strong enough to hold the inner tube in, it'll be fine. If
that's the inner tube I can see, I would retire it, but if I was feeling
cash-strapped, I'd put a patch on the inside to hold the inner tube and see
how it went over a couple of rides.

If the bottom of the crack gets worn by the road, then you're in trouble -
but if it's deep enough to be protected by the rest of the rubber, it'll be
fine.

cheers,
clive

Old June 25th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 25/06/2006 16:00, Paul Cassel said,

I'd like to hear that this tire still does have some life left in it
so I don't have to toss a tire which cost me U$50 only a short while
ago. Comments? Thanks.

No, I would say that tyre (t-y-r-e) is dead! Regardless of the fact
that the belt may or may not be damaged, would you want to risk it
bursting suddenly at speed? Especially if it's on the front!

Tire/ Tyre. At least I got the 'whilst' right, eh? Upon dismounting, I
noted that the tire is slit all the way through and it also nicked the
tube. I will junk it.
Old June 25th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Rob Morley wrote:

If the tyre doesn't show any distortion in the carcass at full pressure
then I'd risk using it some more, after filling the hole with glue to
stop stuff from getting trapped in it.

Was worse than I supposed - noted upon dismount. I am sure it's junk as
it has lost its integrity. Owell.
Old June 25th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 25/06/2006 18:52, Paul Cassel said,

Tire/ Tyre. At least I got the 'whilst' right, eh? Upon dismounting, I
noted that the tire is slit all the way through and it also nicked the
tube. I will junk it.

"Two nations divided by a common language" :-) If it's got as far as
nicking the tube, then you're right to chuck it. I had a similar thing
happen to me, fortunately at slow speed, except the tyre literally went
down with a bang. That needed a new tyre and tube!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 25th 06, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 25/06/2006 18:52, Paul Cassel said,

Tire/ Tyre. At least I got the 'whilst' right, eh? Upon dismounting, I
noted that the tire is slit all the way through and it also nicked the
tube. I will junk it.

"Two nations divided by a common language" :-) If it's got as far as
nicking the tube, then you're right to chuck it. I had a similar thing
happen to me, fortunately at slow speed, except the tyre literally went
down with a bang. That needed a new tyre and tube!

My big challenge now is to find a tyre (I'm getting it) which goes on
with reasonable ease over my Eurus rims. The Conti 4000's were
impossible as were Conti Ultra Gatorskins. I'm buying a set of Michelin
Carbons in hopes that these will be reasonable.

Prior to the 4000's, I had a set of Hutchinsons which worked well on and
off, but wore quickly. I can't find these any more. Had I known what a
royal PITA the Eurus rims were for many tyres, I"d have bought a dozen
of the previous types.

-paul
Old June 25th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Clive George wrote:

So long as it's strong enough to hold the inner tube in, it'll be fine.
If that's the inner tube I can see, I would retire it, but if I was
feeling cash-strapped, I'd put a patch on the inside to hold the inner
tube and see how it went over a couple of rides.

If the bottom of the crack gets worn by the road, then you're in trouble
- but if it's deep enough to be protected by the rest of the rubber,
it'll be fine.

Ah, so it's retire and not retyre when I wish to put a new tire on or
put it out to pasture.

Here I was wrong. the tyre was split entirely through and the tube was
nicked. I'm incredibly lucky not to have had a blowout.
Old June 26th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Cassel wrote:
Here is a pic of my Conti 4000 after today's ride.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...dsdad/tire.jpg

I'd like to hear that this tire still does have some life left in it so
I don't have to toss a tire which cost me U$50 only a short while ago.
Comments? Thanks.

I've been running GP4000s for about 4 months now. About 4 deepish cuts
caused by glass but no flats yet. Seems the puncture guard is doing its
job.

--
Simon Mason