Heads up on those $13 Nashbar Paselas

Old April 25th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Heads up on those $13 Nashbar Paselas

I got some 32s as I've heard mixed info on them being true to size,
but they measure exactly 32mm on Alex Ace 19s, which are about the
same dimension as CR18s. So a little bigger than I expected, but
what's not to like? Others might have clearance issues. No ridge on
the 32s now, so nice smooth cornering. I'd forgotten how nicely made
and classy these are.

I've heard complaints about bead blow outs on these and indeed I had
one as I brought my rear up to pressure, despite visual vigilance--
turns out to just be the bead not seating due to the tires being
folded for shipping. The quality is Japanese and flawless as usual.
Old April 25th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

you bought those damn tires with the white sidewalls made from
recycled sweat socks ?
Old April 25th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 24, 10:31 pm, datakoll wrote:
you bought those damn tires with the white sidewalls made from
recycled sweat socks ?

Girdles. They smell like jiggle. Fun jiggle!
Old April 25th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Apr 24, 8:41 pm, landotter wrote:

I got some 32s as I've heard mixed info on them being true to size,
but they measure exactly 32mm on Alex Ace 19s, which are about the
same dimension as CR18s. So a little bigger than I expected, but
what's not to like?

Funny, my wife's 700x32 wire-bead Paselas (old-style) measured almost
exactly 28mm on Mavic MA2s. The style update must have included a bit
of sizing revision.

I'd forgotten how nicely made and classy these are.

They've been some of the best tires for the money all along, even at
full retail. Hopefully the yen goes down the toilet alongside the
dollar and they remain affordable.

Chalo
Old April 25th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 25, 12:00 pm, Chalo wrote:

They've been some of the best tires for the money all along, even at
full retail. Hopefully the yen goes down the toilet alongside the
dollar and they remain affordable.

I'd have been happy paying $25 locally for them, but the LBS only
stocks tragically slow gumwall tires in that width. I've been making
excuses all day to do errands on them, out the door now to barter
gumbo for brake housing at the LBS...

Old April 25th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Apr 24, 6:41 pm, landotter wrote:

I've heard complaints about bead blow outs on these and indeed I had
one as I brought my rear up to pressure, despite visual vigilance--
turns out to just be the bead not seating due to the tires being
folded for shipping. The quality is Japanese and flawless as usual.

That was my experience with Paselas. I bought a pair. One could not
stay on a rim for longer than 4 hours without blowing out a bead.
Fortunately, this did not happen while I was riding. The other would
stay on to some rims, but not others.

I never was able to get any miles on them. They're basically wall
ornaments now.

Old April 25th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

MOST bike tires are optimistically labelled!!!! I bought Conti
Contact in 32 and they are at most 28. Top Touring @ 37 are maybe
35. Panaracer Urban max are uner size as well. Why cant they just
label themhonestly!!!!!!

Old April 25th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 25, 1:05 pm, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:
On Apr 24, 6:41 pm, landotter wrote:

I've heard complaints about bead blow outs on these and indeed I had
one as I brought my rear up to pressure, despite visual vigilance--
turns out to just be the bead not seating due to the tires being
folded for shipping. The quality is Japanese and flawless as usual.

That was my experience with Paselas. I bought a pair. One could not
stay on a rim for longer than 4 hours without blowing out a bead.
Fortunately, this did not happen while I was riding. The other would
stay on to some rims, but not others.

Which size Pasela, how long ago, and had they been folded before you
mounted them?

I never was able to get any miles on them. They're basically wall
ornaments now.

Maybe, maybe not--if they're wire bead with just a little kink in the
bead, easy to solve. Mine have been mounted up for 24 hours after I
fixed the bead issue with 100psi and several rides with no issues.
They appear to be made very straight--I can't imagine a run "running
large".
Old April 25th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

MOST bike tires are optimistically labelled!!!! I bought Conti
Contact in 32 and they are at most 28. Top Touring @ 37 are maybe
35. Panaracer Urban max are uner size as well. Why cant they just
label them honestly!!!!!!

Mislabeling tires became common practice in the '80s after it was
found easier to lighten a tire by making it smaller than by other
means. My wife's "700x28" Conti Ultra-Super-Duper-Sports are more
like 26mm wide, for instance.

Panaracer Paselas used to be as guilty of this as any other tire-- all
the 32s I have ever bought were actually 28s, and all the 35s were in
fact 32s.

Sheldon Brown mentioned this phenomenon in his article on tire
sizing:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#dishonest

Chalo
Old April 25th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 25, 3:52 pm, Chalo wrote:

Mislabeling tires became common practice in the '80s after it was
found easier to lighten a tire by making it smaller than by other
means. My wife's "700x28" Conti Ultra-Super-Duper-Sports are more
like 26mm wide, for instance.

And isn't it interesting that they assume - probably correctly - that
more customers would complain about a little less "lightness" than
they expected, rather than about getting less cushioning than they
expected?

I figure that's because Buycycling magazine tells them light tires are
sexy, and tires that are wider than the "smooth road absolute minimum"
are boring.

- Frank Krygowski

Heads Up Just zis Guy, you know? Social Issues 2 July 5th 05 10:42 PM
Nashbar components - Nashbar Mechanical Disc Brake Set KR Mountain Biking 0 May 6th 05 05:47 AM
Nashbar componenets - Nashbar Mechanical Disc Brake Set KR Mountain Biking 0 May 6th 05 05:28 AM
Cat heads suzyj Australia 12 April 11th 05 02:16 AM
Heads up Just zis Guy, you know? UK 6 July 19th 04 09:21 PM