What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

Old December 3rd 18, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

Thanks a lot, guys.

retroguy
Old December 3rd 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2018-12-03, wrote:
Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

The top mount is a standard frame pump peg. The bottom plate is a
kickstand plate rather than a pump mount. The non-drive chainstay
should have a ridge or spine upon which to mount the other end of the
pump. In your image it's hard to see if that's true, but I think so.

The pump would be a Silca or Zefal frame pump, probably Zefal for
Schrader valves.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/hpx.html
http://www.yellowjersey.org/silca.html

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old December 4th 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2018 12:20 PM, wrote:
Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

Thanks a lot, guys.

retroguy

Measure first.
From that era, a Mt Zefal or the Silca (model name?) MTB
pump probably.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 4th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/3/2018 1:20 PM, wrote:
Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

Thanks a lot, guys.

retroguy

I think it's almost certainly designed for a Zefal HP or HPX. At the end
of the pump head, those pumps have two sort of flat plastic pieces with
a concave curve cut out to fit up against a frame tube.
http://www.zefal.com/en/pumps/253-hpx-protection.html
They're about 19mm wide and 3mm thick.

One of those plastic bits is almost, but not quite, axial with the pump.
It looks to me like it would slip perfectly into that slot.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 4th 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/3/2018 5:29 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/3/2018 1:20 PM, wrote:
Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor,
with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be
Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

Thanks a lot, guys.

retroguy

I think it's almost certainly designed for a Zefal HP or
HPX. At the end of the pump head, those pumps have two sort
of flat plastic pieces with a concave curve cut out to fit
up against a frame tube.
http://www.zefal.com/en/pumps/253-hpx-protection.html
They're about 19mm wide and 3mm thick.

One of those plastic bits is almost, but not quite, axial
with the pump. It looks to me like it would slip perfectly
into that slot.

The Mt Zefal version is shorter and fatter with the same HPX
head.

Old December 4th 18, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks a lot, boys. That Mt. Zefal "HPX Protection" piece looks like what I want. I'll see if the LBS has it.
Old December 5th 18, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 4:06:59 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Thanks a lot, boys. That Mt. Zefal "HPX Protection" piece looks like what I want. I'll see if the LBS has it.

If you can't find it locally ask Andrew.
Old December 5th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:20:57 PM UTC, wrote:
Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

Thanks a lot, guys.

retroguy

Zefal HPX, most likely. Measure carefully because the HPX comes in 4 lengths. The non-nipple end fits over the chain stay by means of a concave bottom end to the pump.

Andre Jute
French dressing
Old December 5th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/4/2018 5:19 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 6:20:57 PM UTC, wrote:
Old Supergo Access hardtail MTB made from Columbus Cromor, with a top peg brazed behind the seat tube. Gotta be Shrader. Top and bottom mounts look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uljlj761ucw49t/BB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0vzchu04er2gr2/ST.jpg?dl=0

Thanks a lot, guys.

retroguy

Zefal HPX, most likely. Measure carefully because the HPX comes in 4 lengths. The non-nipple end fits over the chain stay by means of a concave bottom end to the pump.

Andre Jute
French dressing

Correct for the eternal HPX road pumps.
If I recall (always a crapshoot nowadays) the fat Mt Zefal
HP only came in one length.

Old December 5th 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 7:12:40 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

The HPX was great. Too bad they ceased production. I bought several of them off of the Internet but they mostly were worn out. The French used a lot of natural rubber which rots.