10 miles on a road bike compared to same on a stationary bike?

Old February 27th 05, 04:14 AM
chris c

Default 10 miles on a road bike compared to same on a stationary bike?

I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike. Thanks

Old February 27th 05, 04:41 AM
Paul Turner

chris c wrote:

I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor
hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be
easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike. Thanks

Yes, it will be easy. Many people who find a stationary bike torture think
nothing of 10 miles (or lots more) outside. Don't worry if your speed
doesn't match -- the stationary bike number is rather artificial. It's
easier to put in extra time out on the road because it's far more
interesting.

--
Paul Turner

Old February 27th 05, 05:02 AM
Ken

"chris c" wrote in news:3PbUd.10428$6p7.3237
@news01.roc.ny:
I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike?

Depends on the resistance level of your stationary bike. You can use a HRM
to guage your intensity level. If you use a similar intensity level indoors
as outdoors, then a similar number of hours will give you a similar amount of
exercise.
Old February 27th 05, 05:26 AM
Leo Lichtman

"chris c" wrote: (clip)Obviously the speed is harder to keep the same
especially on hills. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It doesn't matter whether you keep the speed the same. The "speed" on a
stationary bike is pretty arbitrary. But, outdoors, on a bike that's
moving, with changing scenery and fresh air flowing, you will not feel
fatigue as much, and you will not be watching the clock to decide when to
get off.

Old February 27th 05, 06:00 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 04:14:55 GMT, "chris c"
wrote:

I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike. Thanks

The major difference would be air resistance. On the stationary bike
you don't have any. The resistance is created by other means.

Moving through the air will cool you. And moving through air means
moving through space, so the scenery should be much more interesting

Old February 27th 05, 11:31 AM
Bert L,am

"chris c" schreef in bericht
I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike. Thanks

Yes, it will be IF
your heartbeats per minute will be identical during your excercise with your
outdoor rate
and IF
you will measure your excercise miles but in time. So if you do your outdoor
10 miles in an hour your indoor training will take you an hour.
Bert

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old February 27th 05, 12:56 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Two major factors:

1. The resistance of your stationary bike

2. Measure the length of time, not the mileage.

You might want to consider a video or DVD such as put out by
spinervals.com or carmichael training systems to increase interest in
and reduce boredom on the stationary bike. I use an indoor trainer at
times, and find the videos really help.

Also, 10 miles is not a lot for either an indoor or outdoor situation.
I try to do an hour on the stationary bike at the gym, and equate that
in my mind to about 16 miles, expecially if the resistance is
significant, and I am not just free wheeling.

Good luck.

Old February 27th 05, 01:08 PM
frank-in-toronto

wrote:

I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike. Thanks

do you coast on your stationary bike? i thought not.
this is why outdoor biking feels easier. also, the air
cooling you will make if less stressful on your
body also and more of your blood will be pumped to
the muscles instead of the surface of your skin for
cooling. so, as opposed to those who say that
the scenery will make it easier, i say, it really is.
....thehick
Old February 27th 05, 02:04 PM
Arthur Harris

"chris c" wrote:
I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike.

Riding the stationary bike will help. Don't pay too much attention to the
speed/distance indicator, but rather go by heart rate or perceived effort.
If you're working at the same level as on the road, you'll get the same
benefit.

Do your workouts based on time, not distance. If you normally ride 10 miles
in 40 minutes on the road, then ride the trainer for 40 minutes at a similar
level of effort. You will probably need a fan to keep you cool.

I prefer a trainer that attaches to my actual bike. That has the added
benefit of keeping me accustomed to the feel of the bike and maintaining
flexibility.

Art Harris

Old February 27th 05, 03:12 PM
Ben Kaufman

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 04:14:55 GMT, "chris c" wrote:

I live in Western NY so the roads are all flat except for your minor hills
and that. If I do 10 miles on my staionary bike everyday, will it be easy
for me to do 10 miles on the road bike? Obviously the speed is harder to
keep the same especially on hills. I find myself aroun 20 mph on the st.
bike. Thanks

Getting out on a real bike blows away a stationary bike. You will probably
increase your distance quite easily.
As for your actual speed on the road versus stationary that would depend upon
the resistance mechanisms of the stationary.

I would assume that you haven't been on a real bike in quite some time, so don't
push it, especially going down hills until your skills are up to it.

Ben

Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM