Free Starbucks Giftcard for a 30 second web survey

Old March 21st 05, 04:38 PM

Default Free Starbucks Giftcard for a 30 second web survey

Limited Offer -

Free $500 Starbucks Giftcard

All you have to do is take a 30 second long web survey

and opt in to get some email offers

The Starbucks Card is sent right away to anyone who does the survey

Only one card per address will be sent

http://rewardsgateway.com/R/LPIT1zxnCO8

Old March 21st 05, 07:31 PM
Maggie

Limited Offer -

Free $500 Starbucks Giftcard

All you have to do is take a 30 second long web survey

and opt in to get some email offers

The Starbucks Card is sent right away to anyone who does the survey

Only one card per address will be sent

http://rewardsgateway.com/R/LPIT1zxnCO8

What could possibly be worse than standing at a starbucks trying to
decipher the selections in tall, grande and vente? I think the tall is
a small. The yuppies have even made coffee complicated. There have
been many comedy routines done about this, and all funny. I hate
starbucks coffee. Give me a cup of DUNKS coffee anyday. That's coffee.
Dunkin Donuts coffee and a plain ole Dunkin donut.
All Good things,
Maggie

Old March 21st 05, 08:15 PM
Craig Brossman

Maggie wrote:
a small. The yuppies have even made coffee complicated. There have
been many comedy routines done about this, and all funny.
Maggie

You've twice now made comments about yuppies, but I can't figure out
what a yuppie is to you?
I probably fit the bill, yet you are the housewife in New Jersey and I
live in Durango Colorado and drive a pickup truck. Is that significant?

Regarding Starbucks, local coffee shops are the way to go. In my town
they contribute to local causes and generally support the local economy.
Ordering a drink is not complicated (mostly because I only drink
coffee), I'm known by name and can always pay later if I don't have my
wallet with me, which is often when I'm on my bike.
Starbucks is opening a shop on main street, and their success will mean
the demise of local businesses. And all the yuppies from New Jersey will
buy there coffee there.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
remove "mydebt" to reply
Old March 21st 05, 08:19 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:31:05 -0800, Maggie wrote:

wrote:
Limited Offer -

Free $500 Starbucks Giftcard

All you have to do is take a 30 second long web survey

and opt in to get some email offers

The Starbucks Card is sent right away to anyone who does the survey

Only one card per address will be sent

http://rewardsgateway.com/R/LPIT1zxnCO8

What could possibly be worse than standing at a starbucks trying to
decipher the selections in tall, grande and vente? I think the tall is
a small. The yuppies have even made coffee complicated.

Those names are so dumb. I do drink their coffee, though. I always ask
for a small. But why is a small called "tall"? Grande is supposed to be
Italian, or maybe Spanish, for "large", but it's a medium. "Vente" is
supposed to be Italian for 20 -- as in 20 ounces. Of course, Italians
don't measure things by the ounce, but it sounds so cool.... Who the heck
wants 20 ounces of coffee, anyway?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

Old March 21st 05, 10:46 PM
Dennis Ferguson

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:31:05 -0800, Maggie wrote:
What could possibly be worse than standing at a starbucks trying to
decipher the selections in tall, grande and vente? I think the tall is
a small. The yuppies have even made coffee complicated.

Those names are so dumb. I do drink their coffee, though. I always ask
for a small. But why is a small called "tall"? Grande is supposed to be
Italian, or maybe Spanish, for "large", but it's a medium. "Vente" is
supposed to be Italian for 20 -- as in 20 ounces. Of course, Italians
don't measure things by the ounce, but it sounds so cool.... Who the heck
wants 20 ounces of coffee, anyway?

It's size inflation, probably for markets that like big food. There
are actually 4 sizes of cups. If you go to a Starbucks in Asia, where
people's appetites tend to be more moderate, you'll find they have short
(8 ounce?), tall and grande sizes on the price list. These correspond
to small, medium and large (the price list calls them that in Chinese in
Hong Kong and China). They might have vente cups somewhere if you
ask, but I've not seen them.

I vaguely recall that the sizes on the price list in the US were at one
point short, tall and grande as well, but perhaps a decade or so ago they
dumped short from the list in favor of monster vente. You can still get
a short if you ask for it explicitly, and if they have the cups, but
they otherwise don't seem to admit it exists.

Dennis Ferguson
Old March 21st 05, 11:13 PM

Panera is better than dunkin' and Starbucks

Old March 22nd 05, 12:16 AM
Rich Clark

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

What could possibly be worse than standing at a starbucks trying to
decipher the selections in tall, grande and vente? I think the tall is
a small. The yuppies have even made coffee complicated. There have
been many comedy routines done about this, and all funny. I hate
starbucks coffee. Give me a cup of DUNKS coffee anyday. That's coffee.
Dunkin Donuts coffee and a plain ole Dunkin donut.

I doubt you could come up with a definition of "yuppie" that would fit me.
But I'm a fan of Starbucks. I like their coffee, and I like that I can find
a drinkable cup of coffee wherever I travel. I buy their beans to grind at
home, and they're as good as any I've tried and better than most. Coffee is
definitely a matter of choice; the coffee at DD tastes insipid to me.

My son is away at college, working at a Starbucks to make ends meet. He
loves it there; the pay, working conditions, and company support of its
employees are all exemplary. If he decides to transfer to a school closer to
home, he'll also be able to transfer to a local Starbucks with his seniority
intact. He'll be getting tuition support from them next year as well.

As for what's "local" and what's not, well, everybody who works at and
manages my local Starbucks is local. More local people make more money at
that Starbucks than ever did at any local coffee shop in my vicinity (all of
which failed before Starbucks ever showed up). Coffee's better, too, and the
store draws more traffic to neighboring businesses than they ever had
before.

And for the record, I'm also in favor of Borders book stores and Home Depot
hardware stores.

RichC

Old March 22nd 05, 08:17 AM
Rangersfan

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

I've seen some excellent mom and pop coffee shops go out of business because
of charbucks. Charbucks succeeds were others fail because they have a
superior business model, not because they have a superior product.

The coffee at charbucks tastes insipid to me. As far as I'm concerned,
trying to get a great cup of coffee at charbucks is like trying to get a
great steak at McDonalds. I certainly can't knock their business model
though. They roast their coffee at central locations to save money. They
overroast their beans to add "flavor" because most of the real flavor is
lost in the 2-3 months that passes between when the beans are roasted and
when they find their way into your cup. They also overroast to give their
coffee a consistent "flavor". A charred coffee bean pretty much tastes the
same no matter where you go. The fact that charbucks succeeds so well goes
to show that most people who frequent them don't know what good coffee is
and are easily swayed by atmostphere and salesmanship.

Old March 22nd 05, 01:30 PM
Craig Brossman

Rangersfan wrote:
"Rich Clark" wrote in message

"Maggie" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

You are obviously correct, but I also believe it is a national
recognition thing. If you enjoy your coffee like I do, you don't want a
bad cup when out of town. Starbucks is consistent and easily recognizable.
My real complaint with the company is that other than employees, they
put no real money back into the community. All the local shops in my
town sponser school clubs, non-profit organizations, things like that,
starbucks sponsers corporate execs.

Old March 22nd 05, 09:42 PM
Bill H.

I too,drink Starbucks coffee, which tastes good to me. However, I do
think that Dunkin Donuts tastes better, though I think the prices are
about the same (plain coffee, not that Crappuccino stuff).

Also, putting the coffee shop in a bookstore was really a great idea.
I'm sure Starbucks wasn't the one who pioneered it, but they've
certainly made it the norm.

As for a yuppie, I think the definition varies. I think the term
became popular in the 1980s, in reference to the young, very rich
stockbrokers who were just out of college and making $200,000 a year or
something. They were the one's carrying cell phones that weighed as
much as a brick and cost as much as a small car.

Nowadays, with the decreasing costs of technology, anyone can have a
cell phone and most everyone does. Perhaps the laptop computer is more
of a status symbol, or the clothes one wears and the car he/she drives.
That, of course, and the popularization of plastic surgery and the
fascination with "looking beautiful".

Since this is a bicycling forum, I'll also submit that one can still be
a yuppie and ride a bike exclusively, since it's kind of becoming
trendy to do it nowadays. I don't say that to take away from those who
bike to work, but bicycling commuters are seen, I think, as
ecologically aware now, whereas ten years ago they were probably just
thought of as "broke".

-Bill H.