Paint or strip your bike inexpensively

Old January 2nd 05, 04:28 AM
jose1

Kyle.B.H. Wrote:
jose1 wrote:
Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
inexpensively with professional results?

Yes! Yes? So what's your advice?

I placed a thread with ful instructuions for stripping and painting
your frame in rec.bicycles.tech area. check it out it 8 spaces down
from the top of page. If you have any questions contact me.

--
jose1

Old January 2nd 05, 05:35 AM
jose1

Kyle.B.H. Wrote:
jose1 wrote:
Anyone interested in finding out how to paint or strip their bike
inexpensively with professional results?

Yes! Yes? So what's your advice? I placed full instructions in the rec.bicycles.tech forum under jose1

"instructions for painting your frame". One of the readers brought up a
good point that I did not talk about thoroughly. Using protective gear
when you paint. Check out my response to that thread.

If you are going to paint your frame and you have further questions
contact me I will set you up with anything you need. I do suggest that
you do a little reading on your own. Check out books By Jon Kosmoski,
on custom painting techniques. He's been in the business for 30 years
plus.

--
jose1

Old January 2nd 05, 11:50 PM
jose1

A Muzi Wrote:
"jose1" wrote in message

-snip-
stripped the bike. Which I reccomend using a product called

*Tal-Strip*
-snip-
condition the frame with *Dupont metal conditioner 5717s.

-snip-
dry the frame off. Then you have to paint itwith a sandable

*"etching primer"
-snip-
put your base coat (color) on.

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
-snip-
I think as soon as i buy my new bike, the first thing I'm

going to do
is design a paint job for it and paint it up.

As with auto and motorcycle paint, if you have a basically
sound substrate you're usually better off sanding out the
damaged areas, wetsanding the rest and painting over the
factory finish. Most bike manufacturers paint clean
prepared metal in a controlled environment and get better
primer-to-metal adhesion than you can achieve at home.
Moreover, wetsanding an existing finish will save you
several coats and several sanding sessions for any given
level of smoothness.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Thats somewhat true. Automakers have electronic means of coating
thier automobiles with with primer. A person painting at home could
never dream of coming close to that same coating. However, with a bike
manafactuer I wouldn't think there methods of primering or base coating
are that much different from what one could do at home. If you by good
etching primer that would have to spray through a gun you should be able
to achieve the same quality coat as the pros do.

--
jose1

Old January 3rd 05, 07:39 PM

search to: DIY paint removal
in bike tech

Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Social Issues 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Racing 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
How to (or how not to in my case) paint an aluminimum bike frame Tom Mountain Biking 6 October 18th 03 04:41 PM