EggBeater question

Old December 21st 04, 07:44 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Default EggBeater question

I'm seriously considering getting some C.B. "EggBeater" pedals for my
road tourer. I love the simplicity of the design and I've heard they are
easier to engage than the SPD designs. However, there are now so many
models, I thought I'd better ask first before buying.

The main difficulty I have had with engaging clipless pedals was
locating the cleat. It keeps hanging up on the knobs on the sole of the
shoe. I have bought some of the new Lake "touring" shoes, as I don't
need all the knobs of a MTB shoe for road touring, but still want
something that's walkable. hopefully this will alleviate some of the
problem.

Of those of you who have tried these pedals, which are the easiest to
get into? The caged (like the "Candy" model) or the original, uncaged
version?

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old December 21st 04, 09:07 PM
Mark Vieselmeyer

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
: I'm seriously considering getting some C.B. "EggBeater" pedals for my
: road tourer. I love the simplicity of the design and I've heard they are
: easier to engage than the SPD designs. However, there are now so many
: models, I thought I'd better ask first before buying.

: The main difficulty I have had with engaging clipless pedals was
: locating the cleat. It keeps hanging up on the knobs on the sole of the
: shoe. I have bought some of the new Lake "touring" shoes, as I don't
: need all the knobs of a MTB shoe for road touring, but still want
: something that's walkable. hopefully this will alleviate some of the
: problem.

: Of those of you who have tried these pedals, which are the easiest to
: get into? The caged (like the "Candy" model) or the original, uncaged
: version?

I have several sets of the uncaged ones, and use them on all my bikes.
They're easier to get into than my old Ritchey pedals, but harder to get out
of, because of all the float, even when set up for minimum float. I found it
helps to set the cleats farther back on the shoe so the heal doesn't have
to kick out quite as far to disengage. They seem to disengage more easily
with wear.

Also, when engaged, your shoe is basically right on the axle, so a recessed
cleat and thick tread can be a problem. On one pair of shoes the sole
tilted my feet outward slightly and the rubber was dragging on the axle.
I fixed it by cutting a slot in the tread for the axle. I imagine the caged
versions wouldn't have this problem, but I haven't tried them.

- Mark

Old December 21st 04, 09:16 PM
Lou Holtman

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
I'm seriously considering getting some C.B. "EggBeater" pedals for my
road tourer. I love the simplicity of the design and I've heard they are
easier to engage than the SPD designs. However, there are now so many
models, I thought I'd better ask first before buying.

The main difficulty I have had with engaging clipless pedals was
locating the cleat. It keeps hanging up on the knobs on the sole of the
shoe. I have bought some of the new Lake "touring" shoes, as I don't
need all the knobs of a MTB shoe for road touring, but still want
something that's walkable. hopefully this will alleviate some of the
problem.

Of those of you who have tried these pedals, which are the easiest to
get into? The caged (like the "Candy" model) or the original, uncaged
version?

Chris,

a year ago I switched from SPD to Time Atacs (MTB use) because they
perform better in the mud. I believe that the eggbeaters use almost the
same cleats as the Atacs. The Atacs need a different engaging technique
then the SPD's and in the beginning I found it much more difficult. The
knobs always interfere while engaging. So I cut/grind/dremel as much
knobs/rubber around the cleats away as possible reducing the chance of
'knobinterfering'. Since then I completely happy with them.
Bottom line: I found that the Atacs are not easier to engage than the
SPD and the Eggbeater probably neither because they are the very similar .

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old December 21st 04, 09:53 PM
Matt O'Toole

Lou Holtman wrote:

[...]

I think the shoe makes a big difference with any of these pedal systems. With
my SPDs, I've had the best luck with Shimano shoes and/or Shimano-licensed
soles. Right now I use some Answer Flatfoot SPD sneakers for around town.
They're horribly difficult to get into the pedals. I know it's because of the
sole. I have to do some trimming, but I haven't figured out how.

FWIW, I know a couple of former Time users who have switched to the Eggbeaters,
and find them easier to use.

Matt O.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:24 AM
Charles Beristain

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:53:43 -0500, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:

Lou Holtman wrote:

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

I'm seriously considering getting some C.B. "EggBeater" pedals for my
road tourer.

I've got standard egg beaters on 2 of my MTB's, and Mallets on one
MTB, and single ti on the road bike.

If you have a smooth outer sole like a typical road shoe, get the
cleats with "pontoons" .. makes them very walkable.

Crank Bros now have little spacers to go under the cleats to raise
them slightly if there is any interference with the treads on the sole
of the shoe... However, some shoes I still carve the treads down to
eliminate any interference problems.

The mallets can be used with sneakers or regular riding shoes. They
are similar to the candies only with a much larger platform ( and
heavier of course). The platform can cause problems with clipping in
under certain conditions... for example, I can't wear my booties with
the mallets.. but I suspect that if I put a few more spacers in, that
I will be able to make them work.

I have no problems clipping in or out with these pedals.. and would
recommend them to anyone.

charlieb in ct.
Old December 23rd 04, 09:27 AM
Nick Payne

I spent eight weeks touring in Switzerland on a pair of the low-end
eggbeater pedals. I had the cleats mounted on a pair of Carnac touring
shoes. I've also used ATAC and and both road and MTB SPD pedals in the past.
My impressions:

Slightly easier than ATAC for engagement as you just stamp on the pedal
without worrying about orientation. Disengagement about the same as ATAC.
Both are easier to engage and disengage than SPD. I haven't had any problem
with any of the pedals with the rubber sole interfering with engaging in the
pedals.

After eight weeks of use for 4-8 hours a day, the cleats are showing some
signs of wear. As they were my only pair of shoes I did a reasonable amount
of walking in them also. The pedals show no signs of wear on the engagement
loops.

The plain sleeve bearings in the low end eggbeaters are crap (so are the
plain sleeve bearings in the low end ATAC etc). They started creaking after
a couple of days riding in the rain. However, servicing turned out to be
extremely simple - dig out the rubber cap covering the exle end, undo an
allen-headed bolt that is holding the pedal body on the axle, pull the pedal
body off, slap some more grease on the bearing sleeve and re-assemble.

I thought well enough of them that I subsequently bought another two pairs
of the slightly more upmarket SL model for my other bikes. I haven't tried a
pair of the caged "Candy" model.

Nick

Old January 3rd 05, 09:06 PM
Booker C. Bense

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 4 March 14th 04 02:08 AM
Newbie USCF question Kurgan Gringioni Racing 39 September 15th 03 06:25 AM
Question for group Thomas Mairs Racing 18 July 25th 03 06:36 AM
Sorry, another stem question Techniques 1 July 10th 03 01:18 AM