Creeping seatpost

Old March 4th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Creeping seatpost

On Mar 4, 6:27*am, " wrote:
On Mar 3, 9:27*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:

Well, plumbers tape (ain't tape) is thick steel.

That's funny. I worked in the trade for ten years, five as a licensed
journeyman plumber, and that's the first time I ever heard hanging
strap called "tape".

Not being a know-it-all, I googled, and sure enough, perf hanging
strap ("iron") is the second choice of meanings for "plumber's tape".

I think this expression went out of style, probably around 1897 or so,
because it is so completely inapt when applied to strap iron.

Tef tape, OTOH, is tape and it is primarily "plumber's", AFAIK, mostly
used (when used as intended) in tapered-thread connections, where it
is frequently a "life saver" when used with the usual poorly made crap
one encounters when trying to get the water/wastewater to stay inside
the pipes and fittings and valves where it belongs.

Moreover, I was glad to learn there is a third entry in the "plumber's
tape" google list-- a vinyl tape meant to cover and protect pipe and
fittings.
Never saw that in my new work, repair/remodel, or v. limited
commercial construction experience.

Whatever. "plumber's tape" = teflon tape, by actual common usage.
--D-y, Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners, Inactive Journeyman
Lic. #J-27xxx

I've never heard the Teflon tape referred to as plumber's tape. I've
always heard it the same as Jobst is arguing (the metal tape being
plumber's tape and the Teflon stuff referred to as Teflon). My
professional experience is only 5 years with F/A18, Harrier, and EA6B
pneumatic and general electrical troubleshooting and creating test
equipment related to it (since credentials seem to be a crucial aspect
of RBT arguments though the arguments never seem to go anywhere).

Perhaps it is a geographical argument. Living northern CA (for the
experiences above) and MI these are my experiences with it.

-Antoni
Old March 4th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:42:20 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Mar 4, 6:27*am, " wrote:
[...]

Dear Antoni,

Try googling for "plumber's tape":
http://tinyurl.com/yazjrnr

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 4th 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

On 4 Mar, 19:42, "
wrote:
Perhaps it is a geographical argument. *Living northern CA (for the
experiences above) and MI these are my experiences with it.

Indeed.
So much that I'll spare you what it would be trasnlated across the
pond.

Sergio
Pisa
Old March 4th 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

sergio wrote:
Indeed.
So much that I'll spare you what it would be trasnlated across the
pond.

nastro teflon?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 4th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On 2010-03-04, Jack Myers wrote:
Over the course of an hour' ride my seatpost will get pounded into
the frame. This is a stock Trek 7200 hybrid and I'm reluctant to
tighten the [nylon?] clamp any more. (Yes, I'm a large rider.)

The problem will only get worse over time. I'm considering green
Loktite. Will that work? Anyone have a better suggestion?

Get a better clamp. They're replaceable and just sit on the top of the
seat-tube.

This is the best one I've used:

http://www.identitibikes.com/identit...ails.php?id=SC....

Put a bit of grease on the bolt on the clamp so you're sure to be
tightening it up properly.

Adding grease would make zero difference to the tightening. The
considerable force applied for the final tight turns would really not be
affected at that point by any grease.- Hide quoted text -

Does this apply to greasing bb tapers too?

Old March 4th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 4, 7:27*am, " wrote:
[...]

I always thought that plumber's tape'd be a piece of electrical tape
that can be used to cover a plumber's crack. I always referred to the
thin white tape that I use to protect threads and seal shower heads,
etc as Teflon tape.
Old March 4th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

http://www.identitibikes.com/identit...php?id=SCIDB28

Simon Lewis wrote:
Adding grease would make zero difference to the tightening. The
considerable force applied for the final tight turns would really not be
affected at that point by any grease.

You may be mistaken on that.
Thread friction and galling under the head of a steel bolt
in aluminum can be significant.

Especially when the bolt is bending a bit which they tend to do if they
don't have those clever anti-banana plates the identitibike clamp has.

Anyway it worked for me, and I thought it might have been Sheldon Brown
I go the idea from.

I found this: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-284188.html

It is important that the seatpost bolt is properly lubricated,
preferably with grease on the threads and on the underside of the
bolt head.

Also, make sure that the seatpost bolt isn't running out of threads
and bottoming out against the nut. If it is, adding a washer or two
may fix it.

All the best,

Sheldon [Brown]

Another problem you can get is the clamp clamping completely shut before
it's tight enough. This can be fixed by filing down part of the clamp so
it shuts a bit tighter. But preferable I think just to try a different
clamp.
Old March 4th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On 2010-03-04, Jack Myers wrote:
Over the course of an hour' ride my seatpost will get pounded into
the frame. This is a stock Trek 7200 hybrid and I'm reluctant to
tighten the [nylon?] clamp any more. (Yes, I'm a large rider.)

The problem will only get worse over time. I'm considering green
Loktite. Will that work? Anyone have a better suggestion?

Get a better clamp. They're replaceable and just sit on the top of the
seat-tube.

This is the best one I've used:

http://www.identitibikes.com/identit...ails.php?id=SC...

Put a bit of grease on the bolt on the clamp so you're sure to be
tightening it up properly.

Adding grease would make zero difference to the tightening. The
considerable force applied for the final tight turns would really not be
affected at that point by any grease.- Hide quoted text -

Does this apply to greasing bb tapers too?

Nah, only greasing tapirs.
Old March 5th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 4 Mar, 04:37, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

I've used plumber's tape to keep a creeping seatpost from slipping. *I've
also used it (amazingly successfully) to snug up a road fork that had a
slighly undersized crown race. *Haven't touched it or had to adjust headset
in over three years.

Bill S.

Works on bottom brackets as well. Amazing how stuff actually works,
in reality. In fact come to think on, it probably helps with
freewheels to save them jamming.
Old March 5th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 4 Mar, 21:05, " wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:27*am, " wrote:

[...]

Just go into another room.

I always referred to the
thin white tape that I use to protect threads and seal shower heads,
etc as Teflon tape.

Qu-ax reinforced seatpost or Koxx-one pit fighter seatpost??? Uni-Jam Unicycling 42 January 13th 08 12:41 AM
Wanted: less girth! (in my seatpost ladies) 23.4mm or 24mm seatpost Keiron Marketplace 1 August 26th 06 02:01 AM
WTB: Chainrings, Seatpost, seatpost collar MStuartev Marketplace 1 August 6th 05 01:35 AM
Tire creeping over rim - Techniques 24 October 4th 04 08:21 AM
FS: Strong Japanese seatpost 27.0Strong 200 mm seatpost Fishcatfursmile Marketplace 1 March 22nd 04 01:33 PM