Rema 16mm patches

Old September 17th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default Rema 16mm patches

I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

Old September 17th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 17 sep, 19:47, Ronko wrote:
I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

How do 25 mm patches leave a noticeable bulge when the tube is
inflated ? Just asking, no big deal not even a rant.

Lou
Old September 17th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 17, 12:50*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 17 sep, 19:47, Ronko wrote:

I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

How do 25 mm patches leave a noticeable bulge when the tube is
inflated ? Just asking, no big deal not even a rant.

Lou

or you can buy big ass patches at an auto-part store and trim them to
the desirable size. I rarely use an entire patch, when I have rema's
I'll cut them in half and end up with a bunch of semicircles.
Old September 18th 11, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Ronko" wrote in message
I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

Hi Ronko,
Were you able to buy the patches without also having to buy a tube of glue,
maybe some sandpaper, and a plastic box? Which shop (I'm in Oregon and would
like some of those).
Thanks much,
Kerry

Old September 18th 11, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 17, 11:48 pm, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
"Ronko" wrote in message

...I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

Hi Ronko,
Were you able to buy the patches without also having to buy a tube of glue,
maybe some sandpaper, and a plastic box? Which shop (I'm in Oregon and would
like some of those).

My favorite LBS in Salem - The Bike Peddler - sells Rema the small
patches and tubes of glue separately in bulk. Surely amongst the
plethora of bike shops in PDX...
Old September 18th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

"Ronko" wrote in message

...I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

Hi Ronko,
Were you able to buy the patches without also having to buy a tube of glue,
maybe some sandpaper, and a plastic box? Which shop (I'm in Oregon and would
like some of those).
Thanks much,
Kerry

I'd like to know if it's a Portland store, too. River City used to
sell patches by the box, but I haven't seen that in a while. Even
some of my internet sources have stopped selling Rema patches in the
100 patch box. You can still get them off the net, but with shipping,
etc., the price tends to be prohibitive. Plus, off brand vulcanizing
patches including those ubiquitous cheap, sore branded patch kits seem
to work just fine. I wouldn't mind finding a source of cheap small,
non-Rema patches.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 18th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

"Ronko" wrote in message

[...]

Weldtite is the big UK brand which also have a feather edge. Velox
(France) trade the thin patches which have been used forever with
tubulars. Both have or do still trade bulk patches or sheets.
Old September 18th 11, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mike fee

In article 1f102193-2691-4ad4-89aa-57b6ed5cdf68
@j19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com, says...
On 17 sep, 19:47, Ronko wrote:
I was up in Oregon and picked up these smallest size Rema patches.
For most flats on road tubes these are perfect leaving almost no
bulge/thickness like the "standard" 25mm patches do. I live in the SF
East Bay Area and not one of the many LBS's around here carry
these. Just a rant, no big deal.

How do 25 mm patches leave a noticeable bulge when the tube is
inflated ? Just asking, no big deal not even a rant.

It's easy. On my road-bike I run 700x23c tyres. The tube is 18/23C and
uninflated it is only about 36-38 mm around.

If I try to apply a 25 mm patch it would wrap 3/4 of the way around the
tube and then produce an 'anti-bulge' when I pump it up. Of course this
more or less disappears when I pump it up in the tyre to ~100-110 psi,
but it still upsets my sense of asthetics.

But more important than the (anti-)bulge is the difficulty attaching the
patch to a flat surface narrower than the patch. I can do this if I get
stuck with only 25 mm patches by cutting them if I have a cutting device
(seldom on a ride) or by stretching the tube, but neither is an ideal
solution. So I always keep a bunch of ~12.5 mm patches for the road
bike, and keep 25 mm ones for the much less common MTB tyre punctures.

-- Mike
Old September 18th 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 18 sep, 23:54, mike fee wrote:
[...]

I must be a genius never having any problems with 25 mm patches on the
same tubes as you use.

Lou

REMA patches kolldata Techniques 8 September 27th 10 06:17 AM
REMA patches thirty-six Techniques 0 September 24th 10 09:03 AM
REMA patches DirtRoadie Techniques 0 September 21st 10 03:37 PM
REMA patches BigP Techniques 0 September 21st 10 01:53 PM