Wheelbuilding obstruction

Old September 4th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Helmet mounted video

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:26:34 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

CARL FOGEL writes:

Sparing no expense, Fogel Labs has obtained an $18 helmet camera
to capture images of obstructions too quick or wary to poke with
sticks:

http://tinyurl.com/3lqj7sb

The sub-$20 camera arrived in about ten days.

Some zip ties and holes drilled through a styrofoam hat hold the
camera
mount in place. Since I ride head-down on the drops, the camera is
tipped
back at an angle suitable for anti-aircraft fire. Some plastic wrap
secured by
rubber bands protects the costly lens:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qmddp5.jpg

I doubt that the weight or wind drag hold me back very much.

Nice. The posted video looks clear enough to pick up a
license plate of a passing vehicle. Is that the case?
I didn't see any in the videos.

Dear Joe,

License plates didn't show up well in the videos that I reviewed.

It depends on how steady the rider's head is, where he's looking, and
so on.

The plastic wrap rubber-banded over the lens doesn't help.

Here's a frame where neither license plate is readable, with the park
ranger's sedan doing ~10 mph, the trailer doing ~20 mph, and the bike
doing ~15 mph:
http://i52.tinypic.com/5oai8.jpg

Here's a parked truck whose plate is probably unreadable with the bike
doing ~15 mph
http://i55.tinypic.com/oarsao.jpg

I can just read the black "154" and the light blue "Colorado State
Parks" on the tailgate (it helps to know what you're reading), but I
can't read whatever's in front of the "UL" on the license plate.

I may try a handlebar mount, just to see if it does better. My guess
is that it will vibrate badly because of the missing human suspension.

For comparison, here's a frame from an ordinary hand-held camera in
video mode, showing a license plate on a truck passing the bike:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ng90xs.jpg

The Canon PowerShot A570 camera is probably a much better camera, it
had no plastic wrap over its lens, and holding it in one hand as I
pedaled along put it out on the end of a lot of damping.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 4th 11, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Wheelbuilding obstruction

On Sep 3, 8:46 am, David Scheidt wrote:
Joseph S wrote:

:On Sep 2, 9:07 am, Dan O wrote:
:http://i53.tinypic.com/11j4zkl.jpg
:
: Nothing more comfortable to sleep on than a half-inch plank and Park
: TS-2.

:What is my cat doing in your house?

What my cat, my wheel, and stand doing in your house?http://www.panix.com/~dscheidt/wheelbuildingcat.jpg

That is too uncanny!

Old September 4th 11, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Carl Fogel wrote:

A flock of scavenging obstructions, frightened by the bicycle going
past on the highway:

*http://tinypic.com/r/dgi3hz/7

The other day I spooked a pair of black vultures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Vulture

that were trying to open up a bloated and stinky roadkilled squirrel
in the parking lane a few doors down from my house near downtown
Austin. They'd take a few quick pecks at the thing, then get
flustered away by a car or other passerby, then waddle back over and
repeat the cycle, over and over again.

Chalo

Old September 4th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Sep 3, 10:46*am, David Scheidt wrote:
Joseph S wrote:

:On Sep 2, 9:07*am, Dan O wrote:
:http://i53.tinypic.com/11j4zkl.jpg
:
: Nothing more comfortable to sleep on than a half-inch plank and Park
: TS-2.

:What is my cat doing in your house?

What my cat, my wheel, and stand doing in your house?

http://www.panix.com/~dscheidt/wheelbuildingcat.jpg

A proper 650g rim. Nice.

Old September 4th 11, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

CARL FOGEL writes:

Sparing no expense, Fogel Labs has obtained an $18 helmet camera
to capture images of obstructions too quick or wary to poke with
sticks:

http://tinyurl.com/3lqj7sb

The sub-$20 camera arrived in about ten days.

Some zip ties and holes drilled through a styrofoam hat hold the
camera
mount in place. Since I ride head-down on the drops, the camera is
tipped
back at an angle suitable for anti-aircraft fire. Some plastic wrap
secured by
rubber bands protects the costly lens:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qmddp5.jpg

I doubt that the weight or wind drag hold me back very much.

Nice. The posted video looks clear enough to pick up a
license plate of a passing vehicle. Is that the case?
I didn't see any in the videos.

Dear Joe,

I tried looking at license plates on passing cars today and was
surprised that the helmet camera did better than I expected.

***

Bad lighting ruins potentially good photos.

Gray truck with boat trailer passing 25mph bike in 50 mph zone:
http://i54.tinypic.com/aontc7.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/2e0pycx.jpg

White truck, ditto:
http://i53.tinypic.com/huq33a.jpg

Gray sedan in 65 zone passing 10 mph bike:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2urupsw.jpg

***

Fair license plate photos.

Truck in 50 mph zone with trailer hitch obscuring plate passing 20 mph
bike:
http://i54.tinypic.com/96f3gp.jpg

SUV passing 20 mph bike in 35 mph zone:
http://i54.tinypic.com/5l5if8.jpg

Black SUV in 65 mph zone passing 15 mph bike:
http://i53.tinypic.com/141nvq.jpg

***

Good license plate photos;

White truck in 35 mph zone passing 20 mph bike:
http://i52.tinypic.com/9s8474.jpg

Tan sedan in 65 mph zone passing 10 mph bike:
http://i53.tinypic.com/256h0lf.jpg

Camper with bad light in 35 mph zone passing 20 mph bike:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2rc8xvs.jpg

SUV in 35 mph zone passing 15 mph bike:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2j1a7sx.jpg

White sedan in 65 mph zone passing 25 mph bike:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2w706s3.jpg

White trailer in 50 mph zone pasing 20 mph bike:
http://i53.tinypic.com/olf5s.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 4th 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

CARL FOGEL writes:

[...]

Amazing results from license plate cameras nowadays:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/...nd-shenanigans

or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ncg2z9

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 6th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Mounted a 415-MC under an E250’s hood lip ops with the standard Ford
horn or not.
AAA results: deer, R. Elk and street grade elk stop to listen,
consider, mull or deliberate before running willy nilly across the
street lika buncha weed crazed rabbits.

Note in specialty horns, a bell horn.

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/motorcycle.htm

contray to expectation, the 415 is durable. Connections are liquid
plastic insulated, the compressor under a H2O2 bottle.

Old September 22nd 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 13:22:49 -0700 (PDT), CARL FOGEL
wrote:

On Sep 3, 10:02*am, John Dacey wrote:
On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 00:07:53 -0700 (PDT), Dan O
wrote:

http://i53.tinypic.com/11j4zkl.jpg

Nothing more comfortable to sleep on than a half-inch plank and Park
TS-2.

Where's Carl Fogel when you need him? Then we'd have follow-up photos
of the obstruction being prodded with a stick.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Our 28th yearhttp://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

Dear John,

Sparing no expense, Fogel Labs has obtained an $18 helmet camera
to capture images of obstructions too quick or wary to poke with
sticks:

http://tinyurl.com/3lqj7sb

The sub-$20 camera arrived in about ten days.

Some zip ties and holes drilled through a styrofoam hat hold the
camera
mount in place. Since I ride head-down on the drops, the camera is
tipped
back at an angle suitable for anti-aircraft fire. Some plastic wrap
secured by
rubber bands protects the costly lens:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qmddp5.jpg

I doubt that the weight or wind drag hold me back very much.

To use the camera, you ignore the awful manual, press the power
button
until a little light comes on, press the mode button until the light
begin to blink,
shout "Action!", strap the helmet on, and pedal off.

It records sound, too, and comes with a charger in case you don't want
to tie up
a computer's USB port.

The included 2gb card wasn't quite big enough to capture an hour-long
ride,
so a larger 4gb card was purchased. An $18 16gb card then proved
irresistible,
being the largest that the camera can handle.

***

A typical obstruction, browsing by the side of the road:

http://tinypic.com/r/sw5xcz/7

A flock of scavenging obstructions, frightened by the bicycle going
past on the highway:

http://tinypic.com/r/dgi3hz/7

A pair of frisbee-golf obstructions in a 20 mph zone, one dumber than
a brick:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=iegk76&s=7

A mated pair of obstructions, oblivious to traffic and common sense:

http://tinypic.com/r/2rwlwg1/7

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

This frame caught my eye while I looking through a helmet-camera file:
http://i52.tinypic.com/xy993.jpg

The odd streaks going past the handlebar are just chip-seal pebbles
going past at 30 mph, captured when I ducked my head to cough on a
downhill and pointed the helmet camera at the whirling spokes:
http://tinypic.com/r/hvb1x2/7

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Actual Clemens Indictment - a good read = Perjury - Obstruction -False Statements Anton Berlin Racing 0 August 19th 10 09:45 PM
bikepath obstruction/distraction (NSFW) bdbafh General 0 August 4th 07 05:02 AM
Yet another obstruction Mike Causer UK 33 April 5th 06 06:18 PM
Wheelbuilding Peka Australia 7 October 25th 05 12:10 AM
wheelbuilding cop out. evilewan Unicycling 2 January 25th 04 04:42 AM