Pedal Platforms?

Old January 2nd 05, 08:53 PM
Joseph Geretz

Default Pedal Platforms?

Are there such a things as pedal platforms to reduce the distance from the
seat to the pedal? Obviously, I'd never fit a bike on the road like this,
but I'm wondering if perhaps these can be used for training purposes. I have
my bike mounted on an indoor trainer for the winter. My wife, who is shorter
than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with the seat post reduced
down to its lowest level. Are there such things as pedal platforms which
would make it feasible for her to use the trainer as well?

Thanks,

- Joe Geretz -

Old January 2nd 05, 09:49 PM
Ken

"Joseph Geretz" wrote in
:
My
wife, who is shorter than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with
the seat post reduced down to its lowest level. Are there such things as
pedal platforms which would make it feasible for her to use the trainer
as well?

Doesn't she have trouble reaching the handlebars, too?
Old January 2nd 05, 10:35 PM

Joseph Geretz wrote:
Are there such a things as pedal platforms to reduce the distance

from the
seat to the pedal? Obviously, I'd never fit a bike on the road like

this,
but I'm wondering if perhaps these can be used for training purposes.

I have
my bike mounted on an indoor trainer for the winter. My wife, who is

shorter
than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with the seat post

reduced
down to its lowest level. Are there such things as pedal platforms

which
would make it feasible for her to use the trainer as well?

Thanks,

- Joe Geretz -

The only thing that comes close are "pedal blocks", which are (were?)
sold to allow very small children to reach the pedals on
just-slightly-too-large tricycles. These might give you an extra 1/2"
of reach, but won't work with any type of clipless pedal.

Best solution: get your wife a properly fitted road bike. She'll be
more comfortable in any case and you'll have a riding companion come
summer. Valentine's Day is only 6 weeks away, in case you didn't
notice.

Jeff

Old January 2nd 05, 10:36 PM
Rich Clark

"Joseph Geretz" wrote in message
Are there such a things as pedal platforms to reduce the distance from the
seat to the pedal? Obviously, I'd never fit a bike on the road like this,
but I'm wondering if perhaps these can be used for training purposes. I
have my bike mounted on an indoor trainer for the winter. My wife, who is
shorter than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with the seat post
reduced down to its lowest level. Are there such things as pedal platforms
which would make it feasible for her to use the trainer as well?

That would also have the same effect as moving the saddle backwards.
Pedaling a bike with the saddle too far back (relative to the pedals), the
bars too far forward (unless she has a really long torso or arms), and (I'm
guessing) excessive standover doesn't sound like much fun to me. And the
incorrect saddle-to-pedal relationship could be hazardous to a person's
knees.

That said, I suppose you could start with something like this:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...=49&SKU=PD1150
and attach a wood-block spacer or something to achieve the desired
thickness. Assuming you're using a compatible pedal, this would let you clip
the platforms on and off at will.

RichC

Old January 3rd 05, 06:14 AM
A Muzi

Joseph Geretz wrote:

Are there such a things as pedal platforms to reduce the distance from the
seat to the pedal? Obviously, I'd never fit a bike on the road like this,
but I'm wondering if perhaps these can be used for training purposes. I have
my bike mounted on an indoor trainer for the winter. My wife, who is shorter
than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with the seat post reduced
down to its lowest level. Are there such things as pedal platforms which
would make it feasible for her to use the trainer as well?

You mean like Jody Pedal Blocks? Yes they are still made,
$7.95/pr

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 3rd 05, 12:49 PM
Mike Beauchamp

Just get her to wear her platform heels..

As the others have said though, it really does screw with the bike's
geometry. if the ONLY problem with fitting her to the bike is that the seat
can't go low enough (meaning, that she can reach the bars fine, etc) then
there's no harm in DIYing something up. Get some blocks of wood etc.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Old January 3rd 05, 01:25 PM
Sandy

"Joseph Geretz" a écrit dans le message de :
Are there such a things as pedal platforms to reduce the distance from the
seat to the pedal? Obviously, I'd never fit a bike on the road like this,
but I'm wondering if perhaps these can be used for training purposes. I
have my bike mounted on an indoor trainer for the winter. My wife, who is
shorter than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with the seat post
reduced down to its lowest level. Are there such things as pedal platforms
which would make it feasible for her to use the trainer as well?

Thanks,

- Joe Geretz -

If she is significantly shorter, and given the odds that her torso is MUCH
shorter, you are better of spending money on one or two cheap bikes to place
on the trainer for each of you (or for her, if just one).

You don't solve the front/back stroke-length problem, nor the stretch to the
bars with pedal blocks.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old January 3rd 05, 04:48 PM
Sheldon Brown

Joseph Geretz wrote:

Are there such a things as pedal platforms to reduce the distance from the
seat to the pedal? Obviously, I'd never fit a bike on the road like this,
but I'm wondering if perhaps these can be used for training purposes. I have
my bike mounted on an indoor trainer for the winter. My wife, who is shorter
than I am, has trouble reaching the pedals even with the seat post reduced
down to its lowest level. Are there such things as pedal platforms which
would make it feasible for her to use the trainer as well?

There are "pedal blocks" to allow children to ride bikes that are too
large for them, not really suitable for this application.

If she's close to being able to reach, here's a trick that might give
you another half inch or so:

Replace your seatpost with an old-style "pipe" type seatpost, the type
that uses a separate clamp to attach the saddle. Install the saddle
clamp upside down, so that the bolt is _above_ the saddle rails.

Sheldon "Tricks Of The Trade" Brown
| When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: |
| I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me. |
| --Woody Allen |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Pedal grab help seriously needed...... unipsychogirl Unicycling 26 October 1st 07 01:41 AM
Pedal Platforms? Joseph Geretz General 7 January 3rd 05 04:48 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Pedal came off crank arm while riding Gordon Techniques 16 September 10th 03 12:50 PM
my pedal is rusted and I can't get it off. I have to get it off so I can replace the bent pedal. HELP!!!!!!! wanglu Techniques 6 September 7th 03 02:05 AM