Cyclist attacked in road rage incident.

Old November 5th 05, 03:48 PM

Default Cyclist attacked in road rage incident.

Hull Daily Mail

CYCLIST'S CHEEKBONE 'SMASHED TO PIECES'
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

09:30 - 05 November 2005
Hull: A cyclist who was attacked in a road rage incident had his
cheekbone smashed.

Motorist Patrick McGarry, 40, of Lowdale Close, west Hull, followed the
cyclist and punched him after an altercation at a roundabout. McGarry
pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding.

Hull Crown Court heard the cyclist had shouted at the defendant after
he turned left without indicating at the Spring Bank West and Calvert
Lane roundabout in west Hull at 6pm on April 21.

The cyclist thought McGarry was going straight instead of turning and
the two vehicles nearly collided.

The cyclist tapped McGarry's bonnet and shouted at him. The court heard
McGarry followed him and the pair had a confrontation.

He claimed the cyclist had sworn at him. McGarry punched the man
several times and once extremely hard in the face.

Onlookers heard a cracking sound and doctors said the cyclist's right
cheekbone was smashed to pieces.

Judge Tom Cracknell said: "Your behaviour was quite appalling. You know
the only thing to do is ignore road rage or get in a dreadful
situation. Your behaviour was wholly out of character."

McGarry was sentenced to a community order of 200 hours.

Old November 5th 05, 08:05 PM

Hull is the same place that cyclist was recently blinded with an egg
and is becoming one of the cyclist killing hotspots of the UK, often
due to the number of uninsured, unlicenced idiots racing around its
streets at (literally) 80 Mph. (One of these being Ann Leung, a local
CTC member who was killed earlier this year).

I lived there most of my life and the attitude of Hull drivers to
cyclists is appalling. Comment is even made on this in TRL report 549
'Drivers' perceptions of cyclists' which found that anti-cyclist
attitudes were greater in Hull than anywhere else they studied.

Part of the problem is that Hull is just a pit, being comprised mainly
of run-down council estates. It is not just cyclists who are on the
receiving end of the violence, the city has a real problem with
gay-bashers and people who like to beat up asylum seekers (locally
called 'Kosovos'). The 'Hull Cruise' modded car mob even deliberately
ran down a refugee for the hell of it. There was also an incident in
Hull's Queens Gardens, right in the town centre in front of the police
station where a refugee was beaten up for 30 minutes screaming for help
to all the people who were having their lunch breaks and watching. No
one even telephoned the police station.

As the 'Beggar's litany' used to say From Hull, Hell and Halifax may
the Lord God deliver us'.

Humberside police still do a good line in beggar harassment, even going
so far as to poster the town centre with pictures of beggars telling
people to call them if they see them so they may be carted off to jail
for breaching their ASBO's. This is the same force who are now
officially rated as the worst in the country and whose ex Chief
Constable -the disgraced David Westwood- disbanded the forces traffic
section, a move which helps to explain why one fifth of Hull's drivers
don't bother with insurance and in over half of all the crashes in the
city resulting in death or serious injury the driver does a runner.

Old November 5th 05, 08:32 PM

wrote:

the major riots in the UK have been in
Oldham, B'ham, Bradford and parts of London, not Hull.

Surely you recall those riots which happened in Hull during the
Thatcher's era? They were a pretty big deal at the time as I recall.

True, France has its problems to but so far I have been here 4 months
without being cut up or abused by a driver once. Any cyclist who could
say that about Hull probabaly doesn't get out much!

Old November 5th 05, 08:44 PM

I think I spent most of that era too p***** up to notice much rioting
here ;-) but even then it was worse in the mining towns of Notts. and
S.Yorks. Still, in an hour or so I'll have to cycle home through town
on a Saturday night which can be interesting sometimes!
Take care,
Simon

Old November 5th 05, 10:42 PM
James Grabowski

wrote:

Hull is the same place that cyclist was recently blinded with an egg
and is becoming one of the cyclist killing hotspots of the UK, often
due to the number of uninsured, unlicenced idiots racing around its
streets at (literally) 80 Mph. (One of these being Ann Leung, a local
CTC member who was killed earlier this year).

I'm sure it's not what you meant but are you suggesting a ctc member
used to race round the streets at 80mph without a license?

I lived there most of my life and the attitude of Hull drivers to
cyclists is appalling. Comment is even made on this in TRL report 549
'Drivers' perceptions of cyclists' which found that anti-cyclist
attitudes were greater in Hull than anywhere else they studied.

I've been to visit friends there and haven't noticed a problem. I've
taken my bike a couple of times and haven't noticed a problem. Hull
seems a good city for cycling in as it's fairly flat.

The 'Hull Cruise' modded car mob even deliberately
ran down a refugee for the hell of it.

That doesn't sound likely, people with modded cars tend to care about
how their cars look, why would they want to damage them by running
someone down?

There was also an incident in
Hull's Queens Gardens, right in the town centre in front of the police
station where a refugee was beaten up for 30 minutes screaming for help
to all the people who were having their lunch breaks and watching. No
one even telephoned the police station.

As the 'Beggar's litany' used to say From Hull, Hell and Halifax may
the Lord God deliver us'.

Humberside police still do a good line in beggar harassment

Begging is illegal, why shouldn't the police try to stop them?

James
Old November 5th 05, 11:14 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 5 Nov 2005 07:48:38 -0800, said in
.com:

McGarry was sentenced to a community order of 200 hours.

Which probably almost inconvenienced him. No doubt he'll be on to the
European Court of Human rights fifth without. It was only a cyclist,
after all...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk