One expert for Landis - but on what ?

Old May 22nd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Default One expert for Landis - but on what ?

Dr Meier-Augenstein testified coherently and intelligibly to the effect that
the instrumentation and the technique at LNDD was well below par. No real
need to discuss how he comes to his conclusions. As a scientist, he comes
across fairly well. But he has significant self-interest in his testimony.
He has designed and built an instrument that is not used by any WADA lab,
using software he has engineered to this instrument, and he has no
experience at all in the analyses that are in dispute. Nonetheless, he
comes across as authoritative.

On the other hand, I see the dilemma that the arb panel will be faced with,
ineluctably. They will be compelled to either remain faithful to the WADA
standard of proof that the biochemistry involved succeeds or fails to
establish the chemical contents of Landis' body, on a particular date and
test ; OR, they may be bold enough to confront the question of whether or
not Landis used PED's. They are _not_ the same issue. The latter deals
with conduct, and the former with controversial interpretations of different
styles of analysis, of different instrumentation, of different software, of
different personalities. He is also a fan of automatic software, untouched
by humans. As software is written by humans, and as I like the species
(more than 50%), I think he's wrong, there, as do all other witnesses.

To find a violation, the panel must agree :

- that the disputes between the biochem experts favors USADA's side ;
- that there is no reasonable explanation of these results being "natural" ;
- that Landis' refusal to admit is a product of the general code of silence.

The panel does _not_ have to decide :

- that any illicit product produces a benefit to its user ;
- that there is a single scientific rule of analysis ;
- that WADA procedures, if followed, can be found lacking.

--
Bonne route !

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old May 22nd 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

While editing, I misplaced a sentence. Move the last 2 sentences of P2 to
the last sentence of P1.

Dans le message de ,
Sandy a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

Old May 23rd 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Matthew David Hills

Sandy wrote:
To find a violation, the panel must agree :
- that there is no reasonable explanation of these results being "natural" ;

Isn't this exactly what the defense is trying to show, as well?

Matt
Old May 23rd 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
(Matthew David Hills) wrote:

Sandy wrote:
To find a violation, the panel must agree :
- that there is no reasonable explanation of these results being "natural" ;

Isn't this exactly what the defense is trying to show, as well?

Matt

They're trying to show that the results aren't even unnatural.

--
Ryan Cousineau
http://www.wiredcola.com/

French Expert: No consensus on "synthetic testosterone"- Landis a freak of nature raylopez99 Racing 23 August 7th 06 02:37 PM
What year is my Rockhopper Expert? goshrx Mountain Biking 2 May 2nd 06 01:57 AM
Since I'm no betting expert trg Racing 9 July 17th 05 06:20 PM
What does this say? French Expert? Sierraman Racing 3 September 21st 04 04:45 PM
My 'Expert' DH debut. Michael Dart Mountain Biking 2 July 28th 03 10:53 PM