4mm screws that take 5mm Allen key? (thinly-disguised rant...)

Old June 26th 04, 11:22 PM
Micheal Artindale

Default 4mm screws that take 5mm Allen key? (thinly-disguised rant...)

"Curlb" wrote in message news:40dde34c@news1...

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
I was more
questioning the mentality of a designer that ignores all that than

complaining
about an extra allen key - which I have anyhow.

--
PeteCresswell

I know, I know.... I was just being sarcastic. Sarcasm....the lowest form
of humour. You're spot on about having to be a contortionist to remove oil
filters. Especially on Japanese cars. Maybe it's the Japs revenge for
Hiroshima? :-)

Ever try to remove a filter on a 96-02 cavailer/sunfire with the 2.2l
engine, and auto tranny.... instructions do include "remove passenger side
wheel...."

And thats a north american car....

Ford r worse... unless u like to have 3rd degree burns.

I agree with the statement about Jap Crap...

Micheal

Old June 26th 04, 11:57 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
.. .

Ahhh! the coup de Grace: "WARNING: Use only specially-designed Thomson shims
with the Thompson Stem. Standard shims will not work."

I'm guessing that "shims" are what I call "spacers".

What, are these guys on drugs?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 27th 04, 12:58 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
"WARNING:

It gets even better: "WARNING: Torque Wrench Required For Assembly...."....
well, I guess my comments about ease of adjustment in the field were kind of
off-base...
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 27th 04, 01:34 AM
Michael Dart

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
"WARNING:

It gets even better: "WARNING: Torque Wrench Required For

Assembly...."....
well, I guess my comments about ease of adjustment in the field were kind

of
off-base...
--

Goddam Pete, just send the damn thing to me and buy a Weyless stem!!!!! ;^)

You can fix it in the field if you have to. Just reset it at home with the
torque wrench.

Mike

Old June 27th 04, 03:20 PM
KLydesdale

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
"WARNING:

It gets even better: "WARNING: Torque Wrench Required For

Assembly...."....
well, I guess my comments about ease of adjustment in the field were kind

of
off-base...
--
PeteCresswell

Having stripped out a few 5mm stem clamp bolts, I welcome a manufacturer who
specifies torque for their fasteners.

Old June 27th 04, 03:33 PM
KLydesdale

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
Yeah.....those 4mm Allen keys sure are heavy...

But if you're in the field, there's a diff between having to fiddle with

two
tools and just one. Maybe not a huge diff, but it's still two things to
retrieve from the saddle pack, two things to replace, and two things to

avoid
dropping in the grass while fooling around with the stem and

simultaneously
holding both tools, the cap screw, and the spacers in one hand. I was

more
questioning the mentality of a designer that ignores all that than

complaining
about an extra allen key - which I have anyhow.

Too much coffee again, I guess.
--
PeteCresswell

You accuse the designer of ignoring all but do you actually know anything
about designing parts like stems? How do you know they're not opting for
smaller, higher strength bolts in favor of some other design parameters -
like better clamp load distribution, less material needed at high stress
points, etc. I think the 4-bolt face plate on Thomson stems is one of the
best designs around for applying handlebar clamp loads and in consideration
of the effects of a bolt failure.

Old June 27th 04, 03:35 PM
KLydesdale

You should just grind slots in all the fasteners on your bike. That way you
only have to carry a flat-bladed screw-driver.

Old June 27th 04, 03:40 PM
S o r n i

KLydesdale wrote:
"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in message
RE/
"WARNING:

It gets even better: "WARNING: Torque Wrench Required For
Assembly....".... well, I guess my comments about ease of adjustment
in the field were kind of off-base...
--
PeteCresswell

Having stripped out a few 5mm stem clamp bolts, I welcome a
manufacturer who specifies torque for their fasteners.

You mean you're actually supposed to /adhere/ to specs?!?

Bill "fascinating concept" S.

Old June 27th 04, 06:40 PM
John Morgan

KLydesdale wrote:

You should just grind slots in all the fasteners on your bike. That way
you only have to carry a flat-bladed screw-driver.

Why? I'd rather just carry a multi-tool with the common size hex wrenches
in it.

John M
Old June 27th 04, 08:28 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
You accuse the designer of ignoring all but do you actually know anything
about designing parts like stems?

If you take everything I know about designing parts like stems, roll it up into
a ball, and place it on the edge of a razor blade it will look like a golfball
in the middle of the New Jersey Turnpike.

How do you know they're not opting for
smaller, higher strength bolts in favor of some other design parameters -
like better clamp load distribution, less material needed at high stress
points, etc. I think the 4-bolt face plate on Thomson stems is one of the
best designs around for applying handlebar clamp loads and in consideration
of the effects of a bolt failure.

I was looking at it from the outside: commenting on the designer's criteria for
a good design - apparently favoring things like you mention, but not considering
ease of maintainence.

--
PeteCresswell