saddles

Old June 2nd 13, 12:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default saddles

This wedgie business is complicated!

ON the 'bent there's this nice big supportive chair and you relax into
it and ride.

On the Brompton there's much more faffing about.

The original saddle was mostly OK. Best when furthest back but I
still had to be in just the right position for it to be comfortable.
Some days it just wasn't.

So people waxed lyrical about Brooks so I tried one. A B17S which was
the widest on offer as "for a Brompton".

Couldn't get it as far back as the original due to shorter seat rails.

Couldn't get it even vaguely comfortable anywhere else.

Discovered there's an adapter to get a Brompton seat further back,
tried that, and yes! Comfort. Well... for wedgie levels of same it
appears. Plus the micro adjustable seat clip couldn't handle the
leverage and kept slipping.

Then a B67S wide sprung saddle came my way for not very much and I
snapped it up.

At last!

I can have it quite forward and this makes for more powerful pedalling
I think. It is quite comfortable and easy to get on with.

I think the problem is that I am short and have short arms. So my
riding position is more upright than the saddles are made for, and I
have to get well back to get the hip angle expected. I might well
have a wider set of seat bones too than the male racer ideal... This
is supposed to be a touring saddle but I think that's in the same
mould as a "sports touring" motorcycle which is "the same design and
riding position as the sport bike of 3 years ago but with a slightly
taller fairing and a slightly lower pillion perch".

So if anyone wants a black B17S that's been used but has not moulded to
my bum in any way as they are supposed to... the email in the header
works.

http://www.brooksengland.com/catalog...17+S+Imperial/

Zebee
Old June 3rd 13, 09:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kingpin

On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 23:13:12 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone wrote:

This wedgie business is complicated!

ON the 'bent there's this nice big supportive chair and you relax into
it and ride.

On the Brompton there's much more faffing about.

The original saddle was mostly OK. Best when furthest back but I
still had to be in just the right position for it to be comfortable.
Some days it just wasn't.

You could always do this:-

http://www.instructables.com/id/SERI...E-BIKE-SADDLE/

Old June 3rd 13, 01:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 03 Jun 2013 18:41:18 +1000
Kingpin wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 23:13:12 +0000 (UTC), Zebee Johnstone wrote:

This wedgie business is complicated!

ON the 'bent there's this nice big supportive chair and you relax into
it and ride.

On the Brompton there's much more faffing about.

The original saddle was mostly OK. Best when furthest back but I
still had to be in just the right position for it to be comfortable.
Some days it just wasn't.

You could always do this:-

http://www.instructables.com/id/SERI...E-BIKE-SADDLE/

that guy only got it half right.