Riding on footpaths? - NSW laws

Old July 1st 04, 11:25 PM
marc_9

Default Riding on footpaths? - NSW laws

I heard recently that it was ok to ride on the footpath in Victoria
provided you accompany a child 12 years and under.
Is there a similar law in NSW?
Instead of driving, I ferry my kid to Kindy on my bike (with bike seat
of course). It's much more fun and I get the exercise as well. I find
the 2.5km round trip is often quicker than if i were to drive.
The problem is that on my ride back (after dropping her off), I am
often forced to ride on the footpath again - mainly due to the heavy
traffic.
Old July 1st 04, 11:44 PM
DaveB

Default OT- Riding on footpaths? - NSW laws

I don't know anything about NSW laws, but I was wondering if anyone out
there has ever been "unfairly" done for riding on the footpath. By that
I mean, riding on the footpath without being a hoon or being a major
threat to pedestrians. I can't recall seeing anyone booked for it since
I was a kid in a country town where the local police tended to get a bit
over zealous on a quiet day (although at least they didn't fine you,
just let your tyres down).

DaveB

Old July 2nd 04, 03:15 AM
SteveDel

Marc_9 wrote:
I heard recently that it was ok to ride on the footpath in Victoria
provided you accompany a child 12 years and under. Is there a similar
law in NSW? Instead of driving, I ferry my kid to Kindy on my bike (with
bike seat of course). It's much more fun and I get the exercise as well.
I find the
2.5km round trip is often quicker than if i were to drive. The problem
is that on my ride back (after dropping her off), I am often forced to
ride on the footpath again - mainly due to the heavy traffic.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...ngitsafertocy-
cle/bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

It's a long link, but here is the law in NSW. What decision you make and
what you do for personal safety, should be based on this.

Ride on and good luck.

SteveDel "I ride to work to work to ride"

Old July 2nd 04, 06:08 AM
John Tserkezis

SteveDel wrote:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/bicycles/makingitsafertocycle/bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

It's a long link, but here is the law in NSW.

The only cases where cyclists are allowed to ride on the footpath is if they
are under 12 years old, or, over 12 years old AND operating in a supervisory
capacity for an under-12 year old cyclists.

What decision you make and what you do for personal safety, should be based
on this.

The only decision to be made is are you going to ride with an under 12 on the
footpath, or not.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old July 2nd 04, 08:33 AM
Peter Signorini

"John Tserkezis" wrote in message
u...
SteveDel wrote:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...tsafertocycle/
bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

It's a long link, but here is the law in NSW.

That's fascinating. I hadn't noticed that these laws also aply to unicycles.
I'd love to see a unicyclist applying the one mandatory brake. And I'm not
sure where you'd fit the bell or horn together with the front white and red
rear lights.

Cheers
Peter

Old July 2nd 04, 11:41 AM
Munk3y

DaveB wrote:
I don't know anything about NSW laws, but I was wondering if anyone out
there has ever been "unfairly" done for riding on the footpath. By that
I mean, riding on the footpath without being a hoon or being a major
threat to pedestrians. I can't recall seeing anyone booked for it since
I was a kid in a country town where the local police tended to get a bit
over zealous on a quiet day (although at least they didn't fine you,
just let your tyres down).

DaveB

About 7 years ago I got booked for riding on the footpath on Oxford St,
Darlinghurst. I came out of a shop, unlocked my bike from the pole and
rode all of 3 meters to wait at the traffic lights. A high-ranking
copper (Crown Sgt I think) saw me the whole thing and wrote me a ticket.
Yes, I broke the law, but to this day I think he was a dickhead with an
axe to grind.

Munk3y
Old July 2nd 04, 11:47 AM
Flaps

SteveDel wrote:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...tsafertocycle/
bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

It's a long link, but here is the law in NSW.

The only cases where cyclists are allowed to ride on the footpath is if

they
are under 12 years old, or, over 12 years old AND operating in a

supervisory
capacity for an under-12 year old cyclists.

What decision you make and what you do for personal safety, should be

based
on this.

The only decision to be made is are you going to ride with an under 12

on the
footpath, or not.

not in Victoria.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...cument&Area =[Cyclists]
your kid can ride on the footpath, but you have to follow on the road.

Old July 2nd 04, 11:48 AM
Joel Mayes

SteveDel wrote:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinf...tsafertocycle/
bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

It's a long link, but here is the law in NSW.

That's fascinating. I hadn't noticed that these laws also aply to unicycles.
I'd love to see a unicyclist applying the one mandatory brake. And I'm not
sure where you'd fit the bell or horn together with the front white and red
rear lights.

Don't unicycles come with a large red horn usually worn over the riders
nose, and a lapel flower that shoots water :-)

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |
Old July 2nd 04, 12:50 PM
John Tserkezis

Flaps wrote:

not in Victoria.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...cument&Area =[Cyclists]

your kid can ride on the footpath, but you have to follow on the road.

Exemptions from this rule

The following groups of people are exempt from this law and may ride the
bicycles on the footpath, under certain conditions:

a. people aged 18 years of age or older who are accompanying a child who
is under 12 years of age and the child is under the rider's supervision,

This is especially odd, since if you're under 12, you can ride on the
footpath, if you're over 18, you can ride on the footpath providing you're
supervising an under-12.

If you are between 12 and 18, you MUST ride on the road- It appears no
exceptions are available for this age group.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old July 2nd 04, 02:23 PM
Flaps

a. people aged 18 years of age or older who are accompanying a
child who
is under 12 years of age and the child is under the rider's supervision,

Perhaps that is only in NSW? There is no mention of such an exemption on the
Vicroads site as far as I can see...