Nearly 5,000 pounds per bicycle place, the lunatics ARE running the asylum

Old July 15th 11, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default Nearly 5,000 pounds per bicycle place, the lunatics ARE running the asylum

More than 1,000 bicycle spaces are set to be built in Manchester after the
government backed a radical bid by transport chiefs to boost cycling.

The Department of Transport is giving the region £4.9m for the Greater
Manchester Commuter Cycle Project - aimed at getting more people biking to
work

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...ter-manchester

Old July 16th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dr6092

On Jul 15, 4:33*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
More than 1,000 bicycle spaces are set to be built in Manchester after the
government backed a radical bid by transport chiefs to boost cycling.

The Department of Transport is giving the region £4.9m for the Greater
Manchester Commuter Cycle Project - aimed at getting more people biking to
work

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...795_49m-fundin...

Something actually useful to cyclists for a change, instead of cycle
paths, lanes & ASLs.
Old July 16th 11, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 16, 1:21*pm, dr6092 wrote:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...795_49m-fundin...

Something actually useful to cyclists for a change, instead of cycle
paths, lanes & ASLs.

And much, much cheaper of course than providing a similar number of
parking spaces for cars.

--
Simon Mason

Old July 16th 11, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 16/07/2011 14:33, Simon Mason wrote:

wrote:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...795_49m-fundin...

Something actually useful to cyclists for a change, instead of cycle
paths, lanes& ASLs.

And much, much cheaper of course than providing a similar number of
parking spaces for cars.

But much, much less practical use.

And it's money straight down the drain, whereas city-centre car-parking
spaces can be charged for.
Old July 16th 11, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

wrote:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...795_49m-fundin...

Something actually useful to cyclists for a change, instead of cycle
paths, lanes& ASLs.

And much, much cheaper of course than providing a similar number of
parking spaces for cars.

But much, much less practical use.

And it's money straight down the drain, whereas city-centre
car-parking spaces can be charged for.

and they don't need electricity, showers, lockers, toilets, attendants,
cleaners etc. etc.

Old July 16th 11, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

wrote:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...795_49m-fundin...

Something actually useful to cyclists for a change, instead of cycle
paths, lanes& ASLs.

And much, much cheaper of course than providing a similar number of
parking spaces for cars.

But much, much less practical use.

And it's money straight down the drain, whereas city-centre
car-parking spaces can be charged for.

and they don't need electricity, showers, lockers, toilets, attendants,
cleaners etc. etc.

£5,000 per cycle parking space does seem excessive. I am having
builders construct a shed for me to hold a tandem, five bikes and a
Chinese cargo trike. For the foundation concrete, with three sheffield
stands embedded, three walls (the fourth wall is the outside of my
house), a roof and lighting, the estimate is £4,600 plus VAT.
Old July 16th 11, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

More than 1,000 bicycle spaces are set to be built in Manchester
after the government backed a radical bid by transport chiefs to
boost cycling.

The Department of Transport is giving the region £4.9m for the
Greater Manchester Commuter Cycle Project - aimed at getting more
people biking to work

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...ter-manchester

Seems to me that the money isn't just for bicycle spaces, contrary to
your subject line.

--
Paul - xxx
Old July 16th 11, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 16, 5:52*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:

I am having
builders construct a shed for me to hold a tandem, five bikes and a
Chinese cargo trike. For the foundation concrete, with three sheffield
stands embedded, three walls (the fourth wall is the outside of my
house), a roof and lighting, the estimate is £4,600 plus VAT.- Hide quoted text -

Bloody hell.
I got full double glazing, front and rear doors plus a big porch for
less than that.

--
Simon Mason
Old July 16th 11, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:52:06 +0100, Bertie Wooster wrote:

£5,000 per cycle parking space does seem excessive. I am having
builders construct a shed for me to hold a tandem, five bikes and a
Chinese cargo trike. For the foundation concrete, with three sheffield
stands embedded, three walls (the fourth wall is the outside of my
house), a roof and lighting, the estimate is £4,600 plus VAT.

Does your shed also have toilets, showers, rider training programme
and a scheme loaning bicycles to people?

Or is it perhaps the case that the two schemes (Manchester's and
yours) are so completely different that comparing the costs is
pointless?

I'm planning to rebuild my house incorporating a shower, additional
toilet, additional washing facilities, a built-on garage (including
bicycle storage) and some other bits and bobs at a cost of about
120,000 gbp. Since I'll have 6 bikes in the garage that's 20,000 gbp
per cycle parking space, so on that basis Manchester's scheme looks an
absolute bargain.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 16th 11, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jul 16, 6:41*pm, Ian Smith wrote:
*Since I'll have 6 bikes in the garage that's 20,000 gbp
per cycle parking space, so on that basis Manchester's scheme looks an
absolute bargain.

:-)

I wouldn't be able to get to sleep if my bikes were in the garage, so
they are all in the house.
Every time a hedgehog sets the garage PID light off, I'd be convinced
my bikes were getting nicked.

--
Simon Mason