The Downside of (Some) Charity Rides

Old September 5th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Papa Tom

Default The Downside of (Some) Charity Rides

Under a different heading, someone posted:

I've participated in charity rides both as a rider and a volunteer, and
I just don't see the downsides. Sure, the organizers might pick poor
routes, offer less than optimal support at times, etc.

But the riders really seem to get a big boost from both doing something
positive and at least trying to meet a personal challenge. The high
percentage of repeat riders attests to the satisfying
experience, IMO/E.

I agree that charity rides offer "casual riders," as well as more serious
riders, a rare opportunity to do something positive while pedaling away.
However, as a former marshall for the Long Island MS Rides, I have to say
that some of what I saw on those rides was downright dangerous and
irresponsible on the part of the organizers.

As the "ride marshall," I assumed my job was to acompany the pack and make
sure everyone made it safely through the course and stayed hydrated, etc.
I'm not sure the organizers had the same idea of what a marshall does, but I
know they didn't assign anyone ELSE to that job. Therefore, I was, by
default, responsible for the well-being of hundreds of cyclists, many of
whom hadn't taken their bikes out of the garage since the previous year's MS
Ride.

Like any typical charity ride, the low-impact route of the MS Ride generally
attracts a wide array of cyclists ranging from angry geeks who want to show
off how fast they can finish the route to much more laid-back folks who
prefer to take their time, see the sights, chat with other riders, etc.
Also in the mix are some really out-of-shape people who either got in over
their heads or are out to achieve a personal goal. These are the people who
end up needing a marshall's help.

Both years I participated in the ride, I ended up taking almost seven hours
to complete a course that was, I believe, no more than 25 miles. This is
because I had to keep doubling back to pick up riders who had fallen way
behind the pack. And in the end, both years, I ended up roughing it out
with the very last rider, who, in both cases, didn't have a water bottle,
hadn't eaten a proper breakfast that morning, and was riding a bicycle that
should have been turned into a planter years before.

I have great memories of coaching both these people through the last miles
of the ride. One was a senior citizen who had made a bet with his son that
he could finish the ride. The other was a very overweight,
mentally-challenged kid riding an adult trike. At the end of the rides, I
let them cross the finish line before me so that it would look like they
didn't finish last. But it didn't matter, because both years, by the time
we crossed the finish line, all the event volunteers and organizers were
already gone.

Yes, you heard that right. The people who had organized the rides had
allowed the roads to be opened, the so-called "support vans" to leave, and
the EMT's to go home before they had accounted for the last few riders.
When we hit the finish line, there wasn't even a drink of water for these
poor guys.

Anyway, without beating the point to death, I think there are some dangerous
gaps in the planning of these events -- at least as far as the short routes
go. The serious riders on the 100 mile routes can surely take care of
themselves, but the rest of the riders need a lot of support. Otherwise,
it's just a matter of time before someone gets really seriously injured.

ban unicycles from charity rides. Callistus Valerius Techniques 42 January 9th 07 11:41 PM
mass or charity rides Martyn Bolt UK 6 August 9th 05 09:27 AM
Charity rides, thoughts please MartinM UK 35 June 5th 05 04:47 PM
Charity Rides Supplement in C+ Not Responding UK 7 March 29th 05 04:46 PM
charity Cycle Rides Peter B UK 14 March 17th 05 03:15 PM