Storing wheelsets

Old May 31st 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cycledogg

Default Storing wheelsets

Hi all,
Over the years I have aquired several wheelsets and need to know the
best way to store them when not in use. I see bike shops hang wheels
but is this the best way? Most of the wheels I have will be used a few
times a year. Thanks to all who help.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

Old May 31st 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

nice! there's two 'antique' spec racers leaning against the wall and
out of foot in the tool closet one with spare conti tt mounted on it,
the other waiting. No tubes.
without rims, tires are stored flat on a flat surface

Old May 31st 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 31, 8:01 am, cycledogg wrote:
Hi all,
Over the years I have aquired several wheelsets and need to know the
best way to store them when not in use. I see bike shops hang wheels
but is this the best way? Most of the wheels I have will be used a few
times a year. Thanks to all who help.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

Seems like the best way to me, if you have the rafter space. It's
certainly not going to do any damage to them, if that's what you're
wondering. Bikes are hung by their wheels all the time without hurting
them, so just the wheels by themselves will be fine. The biggest thing
I'd be concerned about is ozone damaging vintage skinwall tires, but
modern blackwalls are mostly immune to that.

Old May 31st 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

cycledogg wrote:
Hi all,
Over the years I have aquired several wheelsets and need to know the
best way to store them when not in use. I see bike shops hang wheels
but is this the best way? Most of the wheels I have will be used a few
times a year. Thanks to all who help.
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

Few times a year??? What's wrong with hanging them from the ceiling?

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old May 31st 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rick Dogg writes:

Over the years I have acquired several wheelsets and need to know
the best way to store them when not in use. I see bike shops hang
wheels but is this the best way? Most of the wheels I have will be
used a few times a year. Thanks to all who help.

The purpose of hanging wheels is so they don't sit on a flat tire if
left standing on the floor, besides getting them out of the way.
Standing on a flat causes sharp bends in the tire casing and cracking
from stress at these points, both in the tire and tube. Metal wheels
with steel spokes are not affected by hanging under their own weight
or several times that weight other than possible scratches if the hook
is not padded.

Hang your wheels... and bicycles.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 31st 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

ask the LBS for used tires and add cheap tubes
place on the rear or side closet wall
woent get sold
and woent get stepped on or banged into
wheels are hung so customers can buy them
duh

Old June 1st 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

comes to mind best bet is building a wheel box: two adjacent sides
open, wheels stored on runners, wheels slide out?

Old June 1st 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

And that's better than a 95-cent hook in mid-air because. . .?

FOOLPROOF! NO LIBERAL MORON'S GONNA WALK INTO THE 145 degree ATTIC
WITH A TUBA4
AND BASH URINE RIMS WHEN DAZE BOXED!

beyond that, whose sealing heights allow hanging rims? BRANDT'S
CASTLE?
ok let's measure Brandt's sealings!
yawl could hangem from the garage sealing, wow! now there's a hot
idea.
do we have time for several hundred horoor stories on fragile
equipment stored in accessible spaces?

Storing bikes long term PhilD UK 8 July 22nd 06 03:48 PM
Storing Tubies... Phatykoko Techniques 9 July 14th 05 06:51 AM
Storing bikes in Frankfurt just us Australia 1 January 23rd 05 09:11 AM
Storing NiMH Batteries Drinky UK 4 April 15th 04 07:52 PM
Storing coker in trunk wentz Unicycling 2 March 16th 04 03:36 AM