Berkeley unicycling news

Old September 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Default Berkeley unicycling news

I work at UC Berkeley, and recently got written up in the campus staff
and faculty newspaper in a "staff members with odd hobbies" article.
http://tinyurl.com/eckzn Moab attendees will probably recognize the
spot of the photo, near the beginning of the Slickrock Trail where the
practice loop splits off.

Also, to promote next week's 'Berkeley Juggling and Unicycle Festival'
(http://berkeleyjuggling.org/festival2006/), we participated in the
Solano Stroll parade. The 'Solano Stroll'
(http://www.solanostroll.org/strol.htm) is one of the largest street
festivals in the country, with a claimed attendance of 250,000 people.
We rigged up a wearable basketball hoop from an old external-frame
backpack, some tubing, plywood, an old bicycle rim and a burlap sack,
so we were able to play unicycle basketball while we walked along. The
crowd loved it, and we won the parade's grand prize ($150)!

--
tholub

Old September 20th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JustOneWheel

Great work Tom!

The basketball idea is awesome!

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

Old September 20th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jrdugueod

I went to UCB for four years. I lived 1.5 miles west of campus and rode
my ancient Schwinn uni to school almost every day! This was 1978 to
1982. And I've just started uni-ing again 6 months ago. The thing
about Berkeley is no one hardly noticed, it just did not seem strange.

--
jrdugueod

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!"
jrdugueod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12054

Old September 20th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Nice writeup! It was interesting to read how you got started into
unicycling.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

Old September 21st 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

jrdugueod wrote:
I went to UCB for four years. I lived 1.5 miles west of campus and rode
my ancient Schwinn uni to school almost every day! This was 1978 to
1982. And I've just started uni-ing again 6 months ago. The thing
about Berkeley is no one hardly noticed, it just did not seem strange.

I've definitely noticed that effect; people still react to me in
Berkeley, but not nearly as much as anywhere else I ride.

Here is a picture of the makeshift wearable basketball hoop we used in
the parade:

[image:
http://www.bayareasoldhomes.com/marc...G&var2=700_85]

--