RR: Moab Vacation

Old November 6th 03, 02:59 AM
tcmedara

Default RR: Moab Vacation

What I did on my Moab vacation.

I have a brother who lives in Moab, so it made great sense to take advantage
of free lodging and local knowledge for a spur of the moment mountain bike
vacation. I'm still somewhat amazed my wife agreed to the idea. I must
admit to some guilt at the fact that I had five days of glorious bike riding
in Utah while my wife was at home on the east coast with two kids. The fact
that I was meeting up with old friends from Washington State and Colorado
softened here up a bit.

Day One: On the advice of one of our AMB denizens and my own big bro, we
decided to check out Bartlett Wash. This turned out to be my favorite
location in Moab. It's a giant slickrock mound covered with bowls, ledges,
ramps, and just a tiny bit of sand. Freeform possibilities are endless. We
parked just off the highway and rode the 5 miles or so into the wash before
climbing the mound. The road in is pretty boring, but okay if you want to
add some miles. I would recommend driving into the Bartlett Wash campground
and starting from there, though you'll likely need a high clearance vehicle.
Bottom line: Bartlett Wash is everything slickrock is supposed to be. We
finished the day with a quick run around the practice loop of the Slickrock
trail just before the sun set in prep for the next day.

Day Two: The world-famous Slickrock trail. Details abound elsewhere, so I
won't belabor this ride. I will say that it was much more physical than I
imagined. The short, steep climbs required repeated bursts of max effort
again and again. I was pretty beat by the time we finished. You can take
the sting out by getting off the bike now and then if you're so inclined,
but that was too much like giving up for me. This is a must do ride, but
having done it, I can't say as I'm dying to do it again. It got old after
the first few miles. We finished off the day with a sightseeing ride out to
Klondike Bluffs. Mostly gravel road, some level, rocky 4wd track, and a bit
of slickrock. Pretty casual all around. Make sure you stop and see the
dinosaur tracks - that's the main attraction of the ride.

Day Three: Opted for an easy day by doing a shuttle supported ride to
Gemini Bridges. We had two vehicles so shuttle ops was easy. Nice start
as the first 5 miles are all downhill. Trail starts on a wide gravel road
that lets you get up to speed pretty easily. I was over 30 mph on a few
occasions. The spur down to the bridges was a little more challenging in
that it consisted of some stair-step ledges which made you watch what you
were doing and work the bike a little. Bridges were cool, well worth the
ride. We made a snap decision to add another 8 miles and trek around to the
bottom of the bridges by way of Bull Canyon. A bit of a sand slog going up
the canyon, but the view from the bottom was cool, particularly after being
at the top only an hour prior. A family was there having a picnic and
managed to talk us into eating a few of their burgers. Beat the hell out of
the Cliff bar I was planning on for lunch. We climbed our way back up from
the canyon floor and back to the parking lot without much drama. Overall,
this was a fun day of exploring and sightseeing. The distance and climb at
the end ensured we didn't take it completely easy for the day.

Day Four: Short day as one of our group had to leave by noon. Went back to
Bartlett Wash for a few hours of play time. This was even more fun than the
first time.

Day Five: The ride of the week. Spirit crushing climb combined with the
most spectacular view I've ever seen. All uphill on the way out -- 2000 ft
over four miles of rock and ledge - but all downhill back home. Wow!!
Location withheld by request.

Observations:

- October in Moab is supposed to be a zoo, but we managed to avoid the
masses. Mid week we hardly saw a soul. Plan right and it works out fine.

- Lots of gravel road and 4wd track. If its not that its rock or sand. If
you yearn for singletrack, go elsewhere.

- Took my bro and his wife to the Desert Bistro for their anniversary. Good
chow, but be ready to drop some coin.

- Shipped my bike out via FEDEX Ground and home via UPS. $40 and $48
dollars respectively. Got a box from my LBS and used it both ways. Cheaper
than renting a bike, plus I had my own ride. I'd definitely do this again.

- Your bike will take a beating. Lots of rock. I destroyed a chain and
needed BB and headset adjustment after 3 days. Two thumbs up for Chili
Pepper Bike shop. No BS, and they had my in and out in 2.5 hours and under
$50 (parts and labor). I normally do my own wrench work, but had no qualms
paying these guys for the job they did.

- Lee Bridger's book and the Latitude 40 maps are great resources for Moab
newbies. We wore them all out in only 5 days.

- If you're looking for a some non-bike activity in Moab, check out
http://www.moabdesertadventures.com/

Regards,

Tom

Old November 6th 03, 03:33 AM
Destroy

Nice write up. You're info and advice is well noted. Thanks. Sounds like
you had a good time.

The gf and I are trying to plan a mid winter warm weather mtn bike get
away. If anyone cares to share, some suggestions on a warm riding
destination for a week of site seeing and mtn bike riding would be
welcome; we were thinking Arizona? FWIW, trails need to be non advanced
cause the gf doesn't care for hard or technical plus we'll both be a
fair bit out of riding shape (winter downtime).

Old November 6th 03, 01:41 PM
GeeDubb

"Destroy" wrote in message
Nice write up. You're info and advice is well noted. Thanks. Sounds like
you had a good time.

The gf and I are trying to plan a mid winter warm weather mtn bike get
away. If anyone cares to share, some suggestions on a warm riding
destination for a week of site seeing and mtn bike riding would be
welcome; we were thinking Arizona? FWIW, trails need to be non advanced
cause the gf doesn't care for hard or technical plus we'll both be a
fair bit out of riding shape (winter downtime).

I went out for a ride yesterday afternoon and took some pix of the trail I
ride in Phoenix, Arizona. Pretty non-technical except for one or two short
rocky climbs. Well over 25 miles (which makes for a long ride if you're
doing a loop!) of ss if you want to explore. I'll post the pix after I get
the kids off to school. There are plenty of other non-tech trails here, too.

Gary

Old November 6th 03, 05:24 PM
Raptor

tcmedara wrote:
Day Two: The world-famous Slickrock trail. Details abound elsewhere, so I
won't belabor this ride. I will say that it was much more physical than I
imagined. The short, steep climbs required repeated bursts of max effort
again and again. I was pretty beat by the time we finished. You can take
the sting out by getting off the bike now and then if you're so inclined,
but that was too much like giving up for me. This is a must do ride, but
having done it, I can't say as I'm dying to do it again. It got old after
the first few miles. We finished off the day with a sightseeing ride out to
Klondike Bluffs. Mostly gravel road, some level, rocky 4wd track, and a bit
of slickrock. Pretty casual all around. Make sure you stop and see the
dinosaur tracks - that's the main attraction of the ride.

You can't get the riding Slickrock offers anywhere else, so chances are
you'll yearn for it again.

Day Five: The ride of the week. Spirit crushing climb combined with the
most spectacular view I've ever seen. All uphill on the way out -- 2000 ft
over four miles of rock and ledge - but all downhill back home. Wow!!
Location withheld by request.

My guess: Amasa Back. Porcupine Rim's climb isn't exactly
spirit-crushing, and it's not ALL downhill on the way back, but the view
is "the most spectacular you've seen". If you didn't do Porc. Rim
during your trip, I daresay you missed out. But, I've never done
Bartlett's Wash or Gemini Bridges so who am I to talk?

(If you took a local's secret ride, then it most definitely wasn't Amasa
Back. Trying to keep ABack secret would be silly at this point.)

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old November 6th 03, 05:41 PM
BB

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:59:08 -0500, tcmedara wrote:
What I did on my Moab vacation.

big snip

Very nice writeup. Sounds like you had a great time.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old November 6th 03, 06:04 PM
JD

"tcmedara" wrote in message news:mNiqb.3026$0d2.2773@lakeread06...
What I did on my Moab vacation.

snip here and there
Day One: On the advice of one of our AMB denizens and my own big bro, we
decided to check out Bartlett Wash.

Advice from one of these cretins? No way.

Day Five: The ride of the week. Spirit crushing climb combined with the
most spectacular view I've ever seen. All uphill on the way out -- 2000 ft
over four miles of rock and ledge - but all downhill back home. Wow!!
Location withheld by request.

Keep guessing, Mr. Wallace. Riding the same stuff over and over in
Moab is for suckers. BTW, the notion that Moab holds the only kind of
slickrock riding of its type available is completely ludicrous.

- Lee Bridgers' book and the Latitude 40 maps are great resources for Moab
newbies. We wore them all out in only 5 days.

A good combo and advice.

JD
Old November 6th 03, 08:54 PM
Per Löwdin

Default Moab Vacation

- Lots of gravel road and 4wd track. If its not that its rock or sand.

If
you yearn for singletrack, go elsewhere.

http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/MT...nd_Fruita.html

Per

Old November 6th 03, 11:50 PM
Paladin

Raptor wrote:

tcmedara wrote:ywhere else, so chances are
you'll yearn for it again.

Day Five: The ride of the week. Spirit crushing climb combined with the
most spectacular view I've ever seen. All uphill on the way out --
2000 ft
over four miles of rock and ledge - but all downhill back home. Wow!!
Location withheld by request.

My guess: Amasa Back. Porcupine Rim's climb isn't exactly
spirit-crushing, and it's not ALL downhill on the way back, but the view
is "the most spectacular you've seen". If you didn't do Porc. Rim
during your trip, I daresay you missed out. But, I've never done
Bartlett's Wash or Gemini Bridges so who am I to talk?

(If you took a local's secret ride, then it most definitely wasn't Amasa
Back. Trying to keep ABack secret would be silly at this point.)

My guess was Amasaback, too, except for the *secret* thing. The views all along the way are spectacular, and there're some good climbs up, and even back.

Paladin

Old November 7th 03, 12:11 AM
tcmedara

Others wrote:

[...]

Amasa Back was one of our options, but we never got to it. Planned it for
day 3, but one of our crew was having aerobic issues. The guy just finished
radiation treatments which destroyed some lung tissue, and he's still
recovering. He used to kick my ass, but now just ain't the climber he once
was. Hard to take much satisfaction from dropping a recovering cancer
patient though. Hell, I'm still impressed the guy made the trip! We opted
for the scenic tour of Gemini Bridges rather than submit the poor ******* to
a rough set of climbs. He actually bailed out on the Bull Canyon leg and
met us back in the parking lot. He did mention he got in a nice nap while
he waited. I wish we'd made it out to Amasa Back, it sounds like its worth
the effort. With family in town, I'm sure I'll have the chance to try it
out sometime.

I'm already thinking about next year's trip....how 'bout some AMB
suggestions for a mountain bike destination vacation?

Tom

Old November 7th 03, 12:42 AM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 16:50:51 -0700, Paladin wrote:

My guess was Amasaback, too, except for the *secret* thing. The

views all along the way are spectacular, and there're some good climbs
up, and even back.

There is at least one "secret" route down off of Amasa.

It's an amazing "trail" with spectacular views. Very video-worthy but
I was asked to leave it at home.

The ride was worth it.

Vacation Biking and the Internet Badger_South General 1 June 3rd 04 07:46 PM
Wanted 2001 Schwinn Moab Jen Mountain Biking 7 October 2nd 03 01:42 PM
Moab Rick B Mountain Biking 1 September 25th 03 11:22 PM
Moab Stuart Plumley Mountain Biking 11 September 3rd 03 06:04 PM
Vacation Report: Grouseland and Green Ridge State Forest [email protected] Mountain Biking 4 July 22nd 03 12:21 PM