basketball rules?

Old May 4th 04, 06:01 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Default basketball rules?

Today, I was playing basketball with Dave.

We established:
1. A player can ride out of bounds, back in bounds and continue play.
2. A player can dismount, mount and continue to play.
3. A player must have 3 pedal revolutions after the shot for it to
count
(I know #3 is oppossed to the official rules)
4. STEPS AND TRAVELING The player is allowed two steps. (9.2)

WHAT HAPPENED:
I was in possession of the ball, Dave was on defense.
I attempted to make a shot and missed.
After I missed, I wanted to make a tight turn, so I grabbed the goal
post,
swung around, got the ball, dribbled to half court and scored.

A. Dave says the points should NOT count because I used the pole to make
the turn.

B. I say that it is okay to touch the pole as long as the player is NOT
in possession of the ball.
Likewise, I believe:
1. if the ball strikes the pole it is out of bounds.
2. If the player has the ball in 1 hand, and leans on the pole it is out
of bounds.
3. In NBA basketball, a player can touch the pole as long as he does not
have possession.

The "Official Rules to be used at UNICON 10 for basketball" only
addresses the matter in this way:

"9.4 PLAYER ON UNICYCLE The player can only play the ball while mounted
on the unicycle and not touching anything else for support. This applies
to offense, defense, and during jump balls. As an exception to this
rule, players may jump off the unicycle for slam dunks and to block
shots, as long as the player is aware of where the unicycle will end up
and that it will not cause a safety hazard. If another player is fouled
by the player that jumped or gets hit by the abandoned unicycle, a
flagrant foul will be called. The player throwing the ball inbound must
be mounted."

related:
"A player shall not make a second dribble after having completed a
dribble, unless the ball, when it is out of the player's control, has
touched another player, or the opponents' basket or backboard, or has
been batted out of the player's control by an opponent."

QUESTION:
Can a player without possession of the ball use the goal post for
turning, balance, stopping, and making quick reverses (as long as the
player is not in possession of the ball)?

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old May 4th 04, 06:18 PM
johnfoss

I'm not a basketball expert here, so hopefully someone who plays more
will respond. My interpretation, based on the rules you quoted, is yes.

However, you quoted NBA rules. IUF Basketball rules default to
"international rules," whatever those are. Since the goal post is not
covered by the specific unicycle rules, it should be whatever is legal
for international (Olympic?) basketball.

What's with the riding out of bounds rule? This should only be allowed
if the rider is not in possession of the ball.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I should be wearing a helmet here -- so should you." -- George Peck,
who prefers not to wear one, in the 1991 video Rough Terrain Unicycling

Old May 4th 04, 06:23 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

We agree that a player WITH the ball cannot ride out of bounds.
I meant to refer to players without possession.

Thank you for responding John Foss.
According to all of the search engines, you took the lead in developing
the rules in 2000. I tried to PM to get you to post - but apparently you
cannot be PMed.

Old May 4th 04, 06:25 PM
Tom Holub

In article t.Unicyclist.com,
ChangingLINKS.com clist.com wrote:
)
)Today, I was playing basketball with Dave.
)
)We established:
)1. A player can ride out of bounds, back in bounds and continue play.
)2. A player can dismount, mount and continue to play.
)3. A player must have 3 pedal revolutions after the shot for it to
)count
)(I know #3 is oppossed to the official rules)
)4. STEPS AND TRAVELING The player is allowed two steps. (9.2)

I don't like #3 at all. It's really difficult for most people to stay on
their unis after they take a shot, and really, what's the point anyway?
In normal basketball you can take a shot and fall to the floor.

)WHAT HAPPENED:
)I was in possession of the ball, Dave was on defense.
)I attempted to make a shot and missed.
)After I missed, I wanted to make a tight turn, so I grabbed the goal
)post,
)swung around, got the ball, dribbled to half court and scored.
)
)
)
)A. Dave says the points should NOT count because I used the pole to make
)the turn.

It counts. You can use the pole as long as you're not touching the ball
at the time. (The pole is out of bounds).
-Tom
Old May 4th 04, 06:30 PM
johnfoss

That's right, I have PM turned off. I'm surprised the system doesn't
somehow indicate that to users trying to PM me.

But my email address is at the bottom of every post, which is hopefully
enough. My friends and co-workers keep bugging me to set up an IM client
on my machine, but until they can agree on which one, I continue to
annoy them by sticking to email like some decrepit old person.

I would ask basketball people. David Ramos occasionally posts here, or
Teresa Abrahams. Or try to look up international basketball rules.

Old May 4th 04, 06:41 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Or try to look up international basketball rules.

I have searched for quite a bit of time and could not find the
International/Olympic rules. Can anyone point me in the right
direction?

3. A player must have 3 pedal revolutions after the shot for it to

count
I don't like #3 at all. It's really difficult for most people to stay

on
their unis after they take a shot, and really, what's the point

anyway?
In normal basketball you can take a shot and fall to the floor.

We made up that rule because we had not seen the official rules and
because we wanted shots to be "in control." Now, I know that the shot
DOES have to be "in control" insofar as the player is responsible for
not allowing the unicycle to fall in such a way that it harms others.
(example: I can't spring off of my unicycle and purposely kick it
backwards at a trailing defending player to do a slam dunk).

Old May 4th 04, 08:28 PM
tadaniels

Go to http://www.fibaamerica.com/ and click on, "Rules," to get a copy
of the international rules for basketball in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

The IUF supplementary rules for basketball are in Section 10 of the IUF
rulebook (2004 edition). The IUF rulebook amy be found at
http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/

--
tadaniels - USA President
tadaniels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/352

Old May 4th 04, 08:45 PM
Memphis Mud

I'm glad to know there are official rules.

We say if you have the ball and are no longer riding, all you can do is
pass the ball. You cannot shoot.

Is there a rule for how much you must dribble? Like twice in ever 10
feet. Or what about "double dribble"? We often dribble some, then not,
then dribble again.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old May 4th 04, 09:24 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Memphis Mud wrote:
*I'm glad to know there are official rules.
We say if you have the ball and are no longer riding, all you can do
is pass the ball. You cannot shoot. *

I don't think that is covered in the rules. The way we played a player
cannot touch the ball unless they are on their unicycle (including
picking it up).
[i]
*
Is there a rule for how much you must dribble? Like twice in ever 10
feet. Or what about "double dribble"? We often dribble some, then not,
then dribble again. *

This IS covered in the rules and works just like normal basketball. The
player gets 2 pedal pushes after dribbling to take the shot. Like normal
basketball, a player cannot dribble, stop dribbling and dribble again.
Finally, a modification rule is that a player can take 3 idles (pedal
strokes?) after catching the ball before dribbling. FREQUENCY of
dribbling is the same as basketball, you can dribble as little as you
like so long as you aren't palming the ball when it comes up or allowing
the ball to be higher than your hand. (In other words, the rules of
dribbling are the same). There is an advantage in unicycling because it
seems that less dribbling is required for some reason.

Old May 4th 04, 09:39 PM
Tom Holub

In article yclist.com,
Memphis Mud . com wrote:
)
)I'm glad to know there are official rules.
)
)We say if you have the ball and are no longer riding, all you can do is
)pass the ball. You cannot shoot.

Our rule is that if you touch the ball when you're not on the uni, it's
a turnover.

)Is there a rule for how much you must dribble? Like twice in ever 10
)feet. Or what about "double dribble"? We often dribble some, then not,
)then dribble again.

You have to continuously dribble as long as you're moving. As soon as
you pick up the dribble, you have to stop moving. (You can have a "pivot
foot", which we define as idling in place). Once you've picked up the
dribble, you can't dribble again (double dribble).

"Picking up the dribble" includes touching the ball with both hands,
or holding the ball by the bottom half with one hand.

There's no rule about how fast you must dribble, as long as it's with
just one hand at a time and with your hand on the top of the ball.
-Tom