Recommendation for new road bike

Old December 23rd 03, 12:22 AM
Chris Walters

Default Recommendation for new road bike

I've been riding offroad for a while now (and used to ride a road bike some
15 years ago), and I'm starting to be inspired to do some commuting by bike
(12 miles each direction, country roads mainly) and covering some longer
distance rides (up to say 3 hours) on the road.

I don't want to spend in excess of UKP500, and would like some
recommendations for potential candidates. Also, to complicate matters
somewhat, I had a look at a Dawes Discovery 701 (flat bar, non-compact
geometry) and rather like the look and value.

BTW I'm 6 feet tall, weigh 105 kg, 33" inseam.,

So some questions, if you'll indulge me:
1) What would you buy in my position?
2) Seen any good deals that might bring a better bike into my price bracket?
3) Do you think that in the long run I'd regret getting a flat bar rather
than a drop bar?

Many thanks and seasons greetings to all.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Walters
Hungerford, UK

Old December 23rd 03, 01:31 PM
bikingbill

500 quid should be plenty. Allow some of your budget for essential
'accessories' such as good lights, full length mudguards, rack, panniers,
spare tube, decent locks etc.
For commuting you want something solid and reliable. At risk of re-opening
an old debate I use an all-steel set-up with fatter tyres than I'd choose
for pure speed. A trouble-free journey is worth more than going a wee bit
faster. QR hubs are worth having (remember to secure both wheels) but not a
QR saddle unless you intend to remove it when you park.
Depending on where you'll park your bike, an unattractive looking machine
may be a better choice.
I use drops for commuting but that's more a personal choice than a
recommendation.
HTH, Bill

Two wheels are cool but four's a bore.
Old December 23rd 03, 02:47 PM
Simonb

Chris Walters wrote:

1) What would you buy in my position?

Go for a proper road bike.

2) Seen any good deals that might bring a better bike into my price
bracket?

In last week's Cycling Weekly there was a road bike advertised in one of the
bike shop ads in the back. I remember it seemed to have a remarkably good
spec for the price (sub £500 I think). I left the mag in the bathroom while
the kids were in there splashing about and it turned to papier mache so I
binned it. Check this weeks' as the same advertisers take more or less the
same ads out each week.

3) Do you think that in the long run I'd regret getting a
flat bar rather than a drop bar?

Well I did, and the conversion is expensive! New brakes, bars and shifters.

-- Simonb

Old December 23rd 03, 08:02 PM
Richard M

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:22:20 -0000, "Chris Walters"
wrote:
I don't want to spend in excess of UKP500, and would like some
recommendations for potential candidates.

Have a look at http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/bargainsorbit.shtml and
click on the clearance items for a list of their bikes that are
cheaper. Someone from there appears to be selling some brand new
Orbits a little less than their clearance prices on Ebay as well. Also
try looking at Thorn http://www.sjscycles.com/ and Evans
http://www.evanscycles.com/
To get an idea of what size is right for you, requires you to actually
try sitting on some bikes and getting a feel for what is comfortable.
Remember that top tube length is important as well as the seat tube
length.

1) What would you buy in my position?

Something with a steel frame. Pure, blind prejudice rears it's ugly
head again.

3) Do you think that in the long run I'd regret getting a flat bar rather
than a drop bar?

Yup. I find the drops put my hands in a more natural position. But
this is a very much personal choice on what YOU find comfortable.

Chris Walters
Hungerford, UK

If that is Hungerford in Berkshire have a look at
http://www.awcycles.co.uk/index.php they are based in Reading and
have been recommended in these pages before.

Good luck
Richard

Please remove THIS if replying

Old December 27th 03, 03:04 PM
Jens Kr. Kirkebø

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:31:00 +0100,
wrote:

500 quid should be plenty. Allow some of your budget for essential
'accessories' such as good lights, full length mudguards, rack, panniers,
spare tube, decent locks etc.

It may be nice to have but not essential (except the lights). My
commute-bike (which is also my off-road bike and my road bike as I
have only one) have none of these items except good lights. BTW, my
commute is 9 miles each way, year round, regardless of weather.