Lawrence of Arabia does Paris - Roubaix

Old May 31st 05, 09:29 AM
MSeries

Default Lawrence of Arabia does Paris - Roubaix

thats how someone dscribed the ride to Spurn Point on Saturday. The
road was not cobbled but as bumpy as, the wind whipped up the sand and
blew it against the cyclists sunburned arms and legs - ouch. All this
was on my first 400km randonee, Halifax to Spurn Head and back. Despite
going through a bad patch because of the unrelenting head wind on the
return leg I actually enjoyed my day alot. I fulfilled one ambition,
to ride 200 miles in less than 24 hours, took about 18 actually and had
I been a little slower would have fulfilled a second. I want to be
cycling as a the sun rises in the summer. We finished the ride at 04:40
only three minutes before sunrise. Light enough to extinguish the
lights but we didn't see the sun !!! I had the pleasure of our own
Martyn Bolts company for most of the day, quite reassuring to have a
PBP veteran for company on this my longest ever ride. Thank you sir it
was a real pleasure.

All in all an uneventful ride, I felt much better than I had
anticipated and am well pleased with my little self.

Old May 31st 05, 09:59 AM
MartinM

MSeries wrote:
thats how someone dscribed the ride to Spurn Point on Saturday. The
road was not cobbled but as bumpy as, the wind whipped up the sand and
blew it against the cyclists sunburned arms and legs - ouch. All this
was on my first 400km randonee, Halifax to Spurn Head and back. Despite
going through a bad patch because of the unrelenting head wind on the
return leg I actually enjoyed my day alot. I fulfilled one ambition,
to ride 200 miles in less than 24 hours, took about 18 actually and had
I been a little slower would have fulfilled a second. I want to be
cycling as a the sun rises in the summer. We finished the ride at 04:40
only three minutes before sunrise. Light enough to extinguish the
lights but we didn't see the sun !!!

Well done ;-)
I got about 40 minutes of sun at the same time on the Denmead, however
no heat from it, which was especially hard in the Meon Valley. Which
600 are you doing? The Great Eastern looks good.

Old May 31st 05, 10:03 AM
MSeries

MartinM wrote:

....... Which
600 are you doing? The Great Eastern looks good.

The Three Coasts on June 18th. Goes from Mytholmroyd near Halifax to
the East Coast and back, then to Blackpool and back. Should be good, I
know the roads reasonably well.

Old May 31st 05, 10:12 AM
David Martin

That's the problem with doing a southern ride! Up here the sun is
rising at about 4.30 so you would have managed to ride into the dawn.

...d

Old May 31st 05, 10:15 AM
MartinM

MSeries wrote:
MartinM wrote:

....... Which
600 are you doing? The Great Eastern looks good.

The Three Coasts on June 18th. Goes from Mytholmroyd near Halifax to
the East Coast and back, then to Blackpool and back. Should be good, I
know the roads reasonably well.

What's the third coast? good luck ;-)

Old May 31st 05, 10:26 AM
MSeries

David Martin wrote:
That's the problem with doing a southern ride! Up here the sun is
rising at about 4.30 so you would have managed to ride into the dawn.

..d

Sunrise on Sunday at 53 deg N was 04:43, thing is we were riding west
and the final 10 km were in a valley. It was still good to see it get
lighter and lighter as we pedalled along.

To MartinM, the third coast is the weighvers seaport at Hollingworth
Lake or is it the coast down Englands longest hill which forms almost
the last 10km.

Old May 31st 05, 10:46 AM
Dave Larrington

MartinM wrote:

Which 600 are you doing? The Great Eastern looks
good.

I've sent off my entry for the Great Eastern, which Peter Marhall maintains
will likely be good for fans of power stations and potato fields, and am now
busily trying to arrange a prior engagement so as to be able to bottle out
with a clear conscience...

Stop press! Pope still dead...

Old May 31st 05, 11:37 AM
MSeries

Dave Larrington wrote:
MartinM wrote:

Which 600 are you doing? The Great Eastern looks
good.

I've sent off my entry for the Great Eastern, which Peter Marhall maintains
will likely be good for fans of power stations and potato fields, and am now
busily trying to arrange a prior engagement so as to be able to bottle out
with a clear conscience...

Come and do the Three Coasts. There will be some big power stations to
see.

Old May 31st 05, 12:33 PM
dkahn400

MSeries wrote:

I fulfilled one ambition, to ride 200 miles in less than 24 hours,
took about 18 actually and had I been a little slower would have
fulfilled a second. I want to be cycling as a the sun rises in the
summer. We finished the ride at 04:40 only three minutes before
sunrise. Light enough to extinguish the lights but we didn't see
the sun !!! I had the pleasure of our own Martyn Bolts company for
most of the day, quite reassuring to have a PBP veteran for
company on this my longest ever ride. Thank you sir it was a real
pleasure.

All in all an uneventful ride, I felt much better than I had
anticipated and am well pleased with my little self.

Very well done, and I'm sure you'll be on the road to see the Sun come
up before the year is out! Soft southerners MartinM and I were riding
the Denmead at about the same time, but not quite as quickly as that:
around 19 hours 40 minutes for me. 18 hours would have had you
finishing with the first arrivals at Denmead. I had a relatively easy
time of it but Martin got affected by the cold, as you've probably seen
already from his ride report, but he seemed to have thawed out
reasonably well by mid-morning.

--
Dave...

Old May 31st 05, 12:36 PM
Dave Larrington

MSeries wrote:

Come and do the Three Coasts. There will be some big power stations to
see.

My chum Dr. Cox has tried, and failed, to persuade me to do that one. It's
an awful lot further from Larrington Towers and likely to be somewhat
lumpy...

Better hide the pork scratchings...

Paris Roubaix Simon Brooke UK 5 April 19th 05 03:53 PM
paris roubaix prediction gym.gravity Racing 7 April 9th 05 02:48 AM
paris roubaix Rick Roof Racing 8 January 15th 05 03:56 AM
paris roubaix curt Racing 0 March 12th 04 04:13 PM
Cycling in Paris Part 2 wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX UK 0 September 4th 03 09:57 PM