Motorist drives along pavement

Old March 21st 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Motorist drives along pavement

"David Hansen" wrote in message
The unacceptable face of motoring (and some pedestrian groups who
are not au fait with the real dangers those they claim to represent
face) often imply that only cyclists ride along pavements.

Just think, anybody who happened to be cycling on that pavement on that day
at that time would have been killed! This proves that cycling on pavements
is more dangerous than cycling on the road.

Old March 21st 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

p.k. wrote:

David Hansen wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:34:05 -0000 someone who may be "Clive George"
wrote this:-

as I said twice, I
think the sentence referred to the rail crash, not the car crash.

We will have to disagree.

on other bbc sites the inital text is preserved:

#A man has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving.

The police have confirmed the injured girl was air-lifted to the Royal
London Hospital.

Police are still investigating what happened to the boys, who were killed by
the Stansted Express train while using a gated crossing in Edmonton, London.

Detective Chief Inspector Mick Southerton, who is investigating the deaths
said: "At the moment we are dealing with it as a very tragic accident but we
are not ruling anything out." #

In that case, I misread it.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
Old March 22nd 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"TheMgt" wrote in message
. uk...
elyob wrote:

snip

trying to use it as an example whilst one schoolgirl is fighting for
her life in hospital is just wrong.

Why?

Out of context you can ask why. In context of my full post, it's because the
OP was out of order posting the original argument. It was plainly just
wrong, and probably pretty sick as well.

Old March 22nd 06, 04:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as spindrift
gently breathed:

Apologies, Pyromancer was the poster who thinks memorials should be
banned in case motorists accidently lose control at speed and crash
into them.

??? Your reading comprehension (not to mention context-quoting ability)
appear to be defective. Go back and read what I actually wrote, then
try again.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com
Old March 22nd 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

The car in this incident was speeding, overtaking another car involved
in a previous altercation, and the driver lost control.

The fifteen year old girl hit by the car had her leg amputated
yesterday. Crippled for live because of an aggressive, ignorant,
selfish driver.

More on the draconian penalties killer drivers face:

Cars routinely sideswipe bicycles, overtake and turn left, harass,
intimidate and threaten.

For instance, take the case of Peter Williams, a 22-year-old cyclist
who was killed in January 2000 after a driver hit him with her wing
mirror. He fell under the wheels of a following vehicle. The driver
admitted driving without due care and attention but was fined just
£200. No penalty points were applied despite a history of offences
which would have meant an immediate ban under `totting up`. Phillip
Judge, Chairman of the Bench in Cheltenham, said a driving ban would
prevent her from taking her children the 2 miles to school and
therefore cause too much hardship.

The idea that punishments should not cause hardship to the offender is
a new one to me.

Nor is this unusual. 25-year-old Carl Fox from Doncaster was killed by
a driver travelling at 46mph in a 30mph zone. The driver was fined
£100 and three penalty points. And Peter Longbottom, a racing cyclist
of international repute, was held to have contributed to his demise by
using a flashing rear light. The transport department has figures
showing that these, while technically illegal, are three to five times
more visible than a steady light.

And more recently 17-year-old Jason Salter was knocked off his bike and
killed by a woman who chose to try to overtake in the face of oncoming
traffic, necessitating her passing far too close - a situation
familiar to and dreaded by any regular cyclist. This triumph of
impatience over respect for human life netted the driver a whopping
£135 fine (less than the cost of a bicycle) and just six penalty
points.

Take the blame attached to a cyclist for being killed whilst possibly
wearing an Ipod. How many motorists have died while listening to the
radio? This is an important question because it points to the cyclists`
apartheid, where we are held to a higher standard while being fed a
steady diet of outrage, condescension and nannyish pats on the back:
all for the sin of being self-propelled.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Martin wrote:

UTAPLC. If cycling on footpaths is dangerous, then how can learning to
ride on a footpath be learning to ride safely?

Is there any evidence that cycling on footpaths at walking pace and
stopping at every minor junction and driveway is dangerous?
Old March 22nd 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Hansen wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:30:03 +0000 someone who may be Matt B
wrote this:-

Why "ha, ha"? Have you /ever/ heard of the police /not/ investigating
even the most minor of injury incidents involving a motorist?

The assertion that the police will as usual spare no effort in an
attempt to convict a motorist of the most serious offence possible
can be given a reality check easily enough. Here is one example,
from this group in 2001.

OK, so you had to go back five years to find a suitably atypical
example, it's not an everyday occurrence then. However, if you search
"accident 'road closed'" into BBC news you'll find several for /every/
week of /every/ year.

--
Matt B
Old March 22nd 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"OK, so you had to go back five years to find a suitably atypical
example, it's not an everyday occurrence then. "

How about this year?

"Chief Inspector Lyn Adams, from North Wales Police, said the driver
appeared to have lost control on a gentle left-hand bend, striking a
wall and rebounding into the road.

All 12 riders in the group were members of a cycling club

Sunday morning scene of tragedy he said: "The driver has lost control
because of the ice on the road. There is no indication to suggest that
this is down to something like excessive speed. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4592412.stm

So before the car is inspected, before the driver is interviewed and
before any investigation has even begun, the coppers excuse a killer
driver.

Nor is this unusual:

It is known that many accidents involving cyclists are not reported to
the Police, but this is especially the case for accidents that occur on
cycle paths where fewer than 3 per cent of accidents are believed to be
reported (Ref 5). In particular, accidents that do not involve a motor
vehicle are rarely recorded even when serious.

In Milton Keynes this situation has been aggravated by a frequent
unwillingness on the part of the Police to accept accident reports from
cyclists, especially when off-road. One fatality to a cyclist was not
recorded as a cycling accident. "

http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/infra/2decades.html

And more on the police reluctance to enforce the law against miscreant
drivers:

For a number of years, Cambridge Cycling Campaign has had concerns over
the lack of compliance by motorists of the regulations regarding cycle
lanes delineated by a solid line. The Highway Code says in rule 119:

Cycle Lanes: ... You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a
solid line during its times of operation.

I'd become disillusioned over the attitude of the police to these
regulations, having met several officers who told me that driving in
such MCLs was not an offence.

http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/58/article5.html

Or how about this?

Check this out:

A 4x4 driver blows horn at elderly cyclist for riding in middle of
road.
Cyclist pulls to one side and stops.
Car stops. Driver gets out.
Driver pushes cyclist off bike.
Cyclist later dies in hospital.
The result: The driver gets a nine month suspended jail sentence.
The defence counsel said the driver was extremely remorseful, adding
"It was a freak series of incidents,"

The judge told the defendant: "This is not a case where death was
directly a result of violence."

Hello? Hello? Freak series of incidents? Not a result of violence? Is
there anyone at home?

http://wheelism.co.uk/

And mo

Q145 Chairman: Yes, but with respect, Mr Geffen, for the moment we are
not talking about motorists, we are actually talking about the police.
What we want to know is why you did not specifically say in your
evidence to us that the police are less likely to take action?

Mr Darnton: The NCS Board has no evidence of it.

Mr Geffen: We know of a lot of anecdotal evidence, we get this all
the time from cyclists saying, "I had a really quite serious injury and
the police just wouldn't come out. I phoned them. I had to go to
Accident & Emergency. I was in a really bad way and the police just
simply wouldn't show up." We have documented that.

Q146 Chairman: How many cases like that have you recorded, Mr Geffen?

Mr Geffen: I would not know numbers over time but certainly we see
several a month of people writing in with that kind of anecdote.

Q147 Chairman: Several a month?

Mr Geffen: Yes.

http://www.publications.parliament.u...05/3121009.htm

The roads are lawless.

Killer drivers get away scot free.

Cyclists are killed and crippled and the police do nothing.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Motorists intimidate, kill and cripple cyclists and get away with it.

The police are often reluctant to investigate attacks on cyclists and
even when the drivers are caught they often get away with a laughable
fine.

The roads are lawless and out of control.

Old March 22nd 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

spindrift wrote:
Motorists intimidate, kill and cripple cyclists and get away with it.

Put "some" in front, or better still "some people in cars intimidate...."
and no one can sensibly disagree

Tarring all motorists with the same brush invites people to dismiss your
point out of hand.

pk

fined for cycling on the pavement Ben Fitzgerald UK 163 November 15th 05 11:05 AM
Critical Mass causes Sacramento Motorist to drive off road Ifoundmore Social Issues 2 July 18th 05 04:18 PM
Road tire life span cheg Techniques 77 June 25th 04 06:44 AM
Shared pavement cycle paths Allan UK 30 June 17th 04 11:12 PM